Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Enjoying Battle Supremacy very much... didn't give WoTs a try, prob won't now...
The tank models themselves are super... maps are huge and some very realistic environments...

panther.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Enjoying Battle Supremacy very much... didn't give WoTs a try, prob won't now...
The tank models themselves are super... maps are huge and some very realistic environments...

View attachment 642788

This is an iOS game. What do you say about this critical review? Just curious. I tried WoT on iOS and quickly dropped it.
http://arcadesushi.com/battle-supremacy-review/
[doublepost=1471524047][/doublepost]Today, my tank game status is in hiatus. Feeling the burn....out. :)

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
This is an iOS game. What do you say about this critical review? Just curious. I tried WoT on iOS and quickly dropped it.
http://arcadesushi.com/battle-supremacy-review/
[doublepost=1471524047][/doublepost]Today, my tank game status is in hiatus. Feeling the burn....out. :)

I'm using on OS X Yosershite... works well...
I would'nt dream of using on a phone or pad.
Graphics are very nice...

Just paid for Panther... 79 pence!

new-panther.jpg

The Arcade sushi review is probably pretty spot on. I haven't played WoT and it seems the standard.
I find on OS X the controls are easy and glitch free, not so on IOS it seems.
Gameplay is straightforward, although the running commentary IS annoying!
It would be good to change the language based on the nationality of tank you're using in the game.

For eyecandy and a quick 10 mins online it's superb...IMO.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Okay... tell us what you think... may see you online?
I go under BOBH

I looked, but did not play. WoT and AW would be my primary choices, but I seem to be drifting from tank battling, spending most of my time with ARK, Fallout 4, and Smite.

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Ah... okay then.
I'm not really a gamer... just keen on tanks, a throwback from my plastic modelling days.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ah... okay then.
I'm not really a gamer... just keen on tanks, a throwback from my plastic modelling days.

After 2 years of tank battles, I'm taking a break, now focused on Dino roping, post apocalyptic civilization rebuilding, and arena battles.

glio8momelazaupp0wwp.jpg

Screenshot_2015-10-15__10_12_AM.0.0.png

arena-bg-optimized.jpg

:):):)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Speaking of Tank games 5 years later Hell Let Loose, multiplayer game. I'd love to play this but it's multiplayer and tanks can have up to 4 people (maybe 5) to operate at full efficiency. On sale, $22.49 for the next 16 hours...
Anyone playing? I might just buy it and give it a whirl, but playing with strangers, hmm.?

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Been having a look at the tanks in WarThunder... pretty impressive.

I tend to play the aircraft tho.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Been having a look at the tanks in WarThunder... pretty impressive.

I tend to play the aircraft tho.
Have you played a tank game? Apologies if I should know that. ;) WarThunder and World of Tank are the two main online PVP tank games, although WT has missions where you can play AI. If you've not looked at the threads see the WoT vs WT thread. There is also Armored Warfare which emulates WoT.

WT has a mode that makes aiming easier (arcade), or you can go with the harder modes that make it much more difficult and requires much more study on your part. I'm so used to having tanks light up for me when they are spotted, I was a bit frustrated by invisible tanks in WT, although with some of the good Camo, there can be invisible tanks in WoT, but just not as often.

WoT has gone a little nuts with it's premium tank offerings. IMO they have reached the realm where they are in some cases better than the tech tree tanks, but in many cases they have one good feature, but in other ways they are weaker than tech tree tanks. If you ever play this game and get into the tank buying frame of mind be sure to read player reviews before purchase, never believe what Wargaming has to say about a new $$ tank.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2021- I remember how much fun I had in both Planetside 1 and Halo driving tanks. In the first Planetside, tanks were a 2 player affairs, one drove and one aimed and shot the cannon. This has been the most rewarding game that features tanks, I’ve ever played. The battlefield was not overwhelmed with tanks. But when they reconfigured tanks in Planetside 2, so tanks were one person, they became not nearly as fun because you could no longer focus on just driving or just shooting. I’d team up with another player and we’d switch positions every second time our vehicles died. Halo tanks were a blast just because you could reek havok with them.

As far as World of Tanks, War Thunder, and Armored Warefare, I’m basically played out with these games. Arenas with 8v8 tanks is just not as enjoyable, it’s the same maps over and over, and playing peak and shoot around the same corners repeatedly has gotten old. However if you made me choose, I prefer WoTs health point damage model, over WT’s module damage model, although modules can be damaged in Wots, just not as frequently as in WT.

So, I’ll ask, is there a rewarding tank game in 2021 other than previously mentioned titles?

I’m going to look at both Panzer Elite and Steele Armor Blaze of War on Steam.

Last edited:
Reactions: jagooch

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A while back I tried Arma. It seemed like it was just open world battlefields where players come in and mix it up. I remember zero structure. Now I see an add-on called Arma 3 Tanks. I suppose this is just tanks that have been added to the game? Is there still no structure, ie a big free for all?

Tank Off Fan

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2022
TANK OFF CLASSIC is a really fun on-line PC game. Totally free. Plus no annoying ads to watch. You can find it at martiangames.com or at crazygames.com. There are a few versions so be sure you find Tank Off Classic (not Tank Off or Tank Off 2). The other versions are not as good. Anyway tank off classic is really cool. You can "Join as Guest" or create a new account (account is free. just add your screen name & create a password - no email required and no credit card needed). Once you enter into the lobby, you can see leaderboard, etc... Click on one of the rooms to join. Next you set your gun, shield & turbo level. Then choose which side to join (red or blue). Then start playing. Use mouse to aim cross hairs & keyboard to drive tank. REALLY EASY TO LEARN & PLAY. There is in-game chat so you can comment to other plays. After you level up some, you can chose different tanks... Some tanks can actually do tricks (jumps) which are cool to learn. Anyway, try it out. Note: there is a download version you can use also. That is what i use. Sometimes I get lag when using the online version, but both play well.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
TANK OFF CLASSIC is a really fun on-line PC game. Totally free. Plus no annoying ads to watch. You can find it at martiangames.com or at crazygames.com. There are a few versions so be sure you find Tank Off Classic (not Tank Off or Tank Off 2). The other versions are not as good. Anyway tank off classic is really cool. You can "Join as Guest" or create a new account (account is free. just add your screen name & create a password - no email required and no credit card needed). Once you enter into the lobby, you can see leaderboard, etc... Click on one of the rooms to join. Next you set your gun, shield & turbo level. Then choose which side to join (red or blue). Then start playing. Use mouse to aim cross hairs & keyboard to drive tank. REALLY EASY TO LEARN & PLAY. There is in-game chat so you can comment to other plays. After you level up some, you can chose different tanks... Some tanks can actually do tricks (jumps) which are cool to learn. Anyway, try it out. Note: there is a download version you can use also. That is what i use. Sometimes I get lag when using the online version, but both play well.
Are these tanks hotrods? :)?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Since I am traveling and away from my PC, on iOS I tried both WoT Blitz (a second time) and War Machines, both suck, controls are horrible, and freaking War Gaming wants you to spend $40 for one of their stupid premium arcade tanks, at least more so than the desktop game. ;) I also tried a flight sim, Alliance Air Something, and could not get into that either.

On my list to check out soon:

B144E94E-BD50-448F-990F-26D12CB8F140.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is there a decent iOS tank game?

Grand Tanks (iOS)- Pay to win, constant pressure to spend $, or grind forever. Controls are fairly standard for iOS, battles on basic maps, leave a lot to the imagination.

8BE4A225-6197-4F47-AAF2-FA97E5DFADBF.jpeg

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I don't hold out much hope for iOS but Steel Fury - a PC game from the late 2000s was the best tank game I ever played. Based around the battles in the Kharkov region in 1942 you could drive a T-34, Matalida III (UK Lend-Lease) and Pz IV. Excellent all around. Now I just stick with WoT on my Mac, far less realistic but fun for an occasional blast.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't hold out much hope for iOS but Steel Fury - a PC game from the late 2000s was the best tank game I ever played. Based around the battles in the Kharkov region in 1942 you could drive a T-34, Matalida III (UK Lend-Lease) and Pz IV. Excellent all around. Now I just stick with WoT on my Mac, far less realistic but fun for an occasional blast.
I feel constant pressure/desire to buy tanks on WoT. $40 for a tank? No big deal. Accept it is. ?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
One of the best tank games of all time is Battlefield 4 but too bad it's riddled with cheaters these days. And, it ran great on a low end GT1030 unlike that new buggy pig Battlefield 2042. RIP Dice.

• Sad

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is there a decent iOS tank game?

Grand Tanks (iOS)- Pay to win, constant pressure to spend $, or grind forever. Controls are fairly standard for iOS, battles on basic maps, leave a lot to the imagination.

In the MacApp Store I found another title called Modern Tanks and I think it is by the same developer as Grand Tanks and it’s the same deal. What I've noticed is because of the PTW aspect, in a match you can run into tanks wildly over powered compared to you. Yes, you can purchase wins. The premium tanks are significantly more powerful, than their equivalent tech tree equivalents, and you can't purchase them for $ without a premium subsription for $$. Got the picture yet?

The other issue as mentioned before with Grand Tanks is that tanks drop goodies when you kill them, maps are small, there are only rewards for damage dealtt and frequently you log into a match already in progress and you are being shot. All hits pen, so you might want to think about stocking up on health kits which cost.... gold ($). You have to decide how much to kill, and when to go collect loot dropped which might end up with you being killed. One positive is that you have endless lives and when killed you respawn in about 5 seconds.

Ok it runs on my 2016 MBP, but if you are familiar with the deal with World of Tanks, this is nothing like WoT, but it’s the same $$ deal although reduced Somewhat. In this game there is premium time $17 a month, premium tanks which seem to be less expensive than WoT, and there maybe exceptions, but in most cases you rent your camo, which can actually increase your damage output. Maps are small, combat is very basic, there are no pen zones, all hits damage the tank, however you can pay gold for health kits.

However, one big difference with this vs Modern Tanks, is that because this is Mac compatible if you play this with keyboard/mouse, you will slaughter anyone using iOS controls. The biggest issue with this game is when there are 8 players on a map, it can become drive in circles, kill as many as you can before you are killed. And if you kill from afar, you will miss out on the game goodies that are dropped when you kill a tank. So at some point, you’ll want to try to pick up the goodies which include extra xp, and you’ll most likely die when you do it, so timing is key. I usually snipe from the edges.

Make no mistake I’m currently traveling with just my Mac and iPad, and when I get home, I’ll have access to my big guns PC and I’ll be back on WoT and WoW, however it would be nice to find some taNK game that is better. :)

The problem with WoTs is it‘s moved into the pay to win realm. A lot of the original tanks that used to be killers are now crap, due to power creep, power creep powered by Wargaming’s desire for $$.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.