Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A7AB3E7A-55FD-4AEF-B06E-9C03DE5AA689.jpeg

Infinite Tanks- (iOS, Mac App, Google App, Windows) This is no World of Tanks, but it is not one of the Pay To Win App Titles, has better graphics (than App titles), let’s you assemble tanks, has an AI campaign and progression, can also be found on Steam (Windows only), plays on my 2016 MBP, and only costs $4.99.

The Critique: Tank combat is basic (which maybe good), however there are hit zones on tanks, revealed as a number (of damage amount) on the right side of your tank sight when you aim at an enemy. When you search for an online match, pickings are very slim to non-exsistant. There does not seem to be much of an online community.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Reactions: Huntn

macvanderspek

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
Hi guys,

I always wanted to create a game. Growing up in the 80s, I learned how to program at a young age. The wish to become a game designer and developer influenced my choice to become an IT professional. After my academics I ended up working in IT all over the world. But I still couldn’t shake the wish to create a game.

So I finally bit the bullet and did it. The result is Panzer Battle. It is actually a combination of the old games Conqueror (on the Acorn Archimedes) and Panzer General (PC strategy). You are a tank commander slowly upgrading your tank and gradually moving through the scenarios of World War 2. On iOS and Android for now, but should not be hard to create a MacOS variant.

I just launched the game and enhancements are incoming, but of course getting visibility is rough these days and even (or especially) for a free game it is hard to get noticed. So I was hoping if you guys could give me a leg up. Would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Martijn

Apple app store download: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/panzer-ba ... 1620308483

Download from Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nzerbattle

See video here:

Attachments

• iPhone 5.5-8.jpg
    iPhone 5.5-8.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 123

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi guys,

I always wanted to create a game. Growing up in the 80s, I learned how to program at a young age. The wish to become a game designer and developer influenced my choice to become an IT professional. After my academics I ended up working in IT all over the world. But I still couldn’t shake the wish to create a game.

So I finally bit the bullet and did it. The result is Panzer Battle. It is actually a combination of the old games Conqueror (on the Acorn Archimedes) and Panzer General (PC strategy). You are a tank commander slowly upgrading your tank and gradually moving through the scenarios of World War 2. On iOS and Android for now, but should not be hard to create a MacOS variant.

I just launched the game and enhancements are incoming, but of course getting visibility is rough these days and even (or especially) for a free game it is hard to get noticed. So I was hoping if you guys could give me a leg up. Would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Martijn

Apple app store download: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/panzer-ba ... 1620308483

Download from Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nzerbattle

See video here:
I don’t mind checking your game out. However before looking at it, here is my critique for anyone who desires to play a tank game on the MacOS App Store, iOS, or Android. They will likely run into games that are free to download with in-game purchases. Here are the aspects of the game to look for.
  • The best situation for any iOS or Android game if free to download, with in-game purchase is one that lets you get your feet wet without paying. The in-app purchase becomes unlocking the entire game. Bastion is one example. It allows you to play Chapter 1 for free.
  • Be wary of any game that relies on the $gold$ purchase standard.
  • A premium account subscription (also called VIP) to reduce grind by increasing XP is acceptable if you don’t mind the cost of a monthly subscription. In the iOS realm $17 a month. I’ve been doing premium subscriptions for years with World of Tanks and World of Warships, and occasionally MMOs.
  • However, when the gold standard is used to buy in-game advantages, such as premium vehicles, camo that increases gun firing rates, gun damage, buffs that increase tank speed, and health packs, this is pay to win and unless you want to be a big spender, ;) you will find that the competition is unfair, along with the constant pressure to spend money to be competitive.
  • Some games are iOS only, and some are both iOS and MacOS. Be wary of any iOS/Androud game you plan to play on your tablet using screen controls were you are competing against controller or keyboard and mouse players. As a rule the latter will own anyone playing who relies on tablet screen controls.

Last edited:

macvanderspek

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
@macvanderspek does Panzer Battle have a multi-player component? I don’t see one, this is not necessarily bad, just wondering.
I am working on this. But the main single player campaign will be the main focus for the upcoming updates. Initially there will be few online players, so the idea would be to play the single player campaign while in the background a team for the multiplayer battle is being assembled. Sounds right?

macvanderspek

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
I don’t mind checking your game out. However before looking at it, here is my critique for anyone who desires to play a tank game on the MacOS App Store, iOS, or Android. They will likely run into games that are free to download with in-game purchases. Here are the aspects of the game to look for.
  • The best situation for any iOS or Android game if free to download, with in-game purchase is one that lets you get your feet wet without paying. The in-app purchase becomes unlocking the entire game. Bastion is one example. It allows you to play Chapter 1 for free.
  • Be wary of any game that relies on the $gold$ purchase standard.
  • A premium account subscription (also called VIP) to reduce grind by increasing XP is acceptable if you don’t mind the cost of a monthly subscription. In the iOS realm $17 a month. I’ve been doing premium subscriptions for years with World of Tanks and World of Warships, and occasionally MMOs.
  • However, when the gold standard is used to buy in-game advantages, such as premium vehicles, camo that increases gun firing rates, gun damage, buffs that increase tank speed, and health packs, this is pay to win and unless you want to be a big spender, ;) you will find that the competition is unfair, along with the constant pressure to spend money to be competitive.
  • Some games are iOS only, and some are both iOS and MacOS. Be wary of any iOS/Androud game you plan to play on your tablet using screen controls were you are competing against controller or keyboard and mouse players. As a rule the latter will own anyone playing who relies on tablet screen controls.
Thanks! Really appreciate your input! I get your concern about pay to win, and this would definitely not the idea. For iOS and Android it looks like ad revenue is not too bad, so hoping to start with that, with a pro purchase to get rid of the ads. For Mac, I am not sure yet, maybe just create a free game with the initial level, and then upgrade to continue?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks! Really appreciate your input! I get your concern about pay to win, and this would definitely not the idea. For iOS and Android it looks like ad revenue is not too bad, so hoping to start with that, with a pro purchase to get rid of the ads. For Mac, I am not sure yet, maybe just create a free game with the initial level, and then upgrade to continue?
Your App game is free (so far) with commercials. So for me that is fine, you could add an option to buy that removes the commercials. If you want to make a comparison to your competition, a tank app game that does not rely on gold, look at Infinite Tanks, s4.99 up front it is quite a bit more complex and dynamic than Panzer Battle.

Reactions: macvanderspek

macvanderspek

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
Your App game is free (so far) with commercials. So for me that is fine, you could add an option to buy that removes the commercials. If you want to make a comparison to your competition, a tank app game that does not rely on gold, look at Infinite Tanks, s4.99 up front it is quite a bit more complex and dynamic than Panzer Battle.
Thanks. Looking at that. Panzer Battle is still very much a work in progress. On the other hand, I have to try to get it to be in its own niche. I can't compete with entities like World of Tanks who have 1700 people working for them.. But still, making Panzer Battle more historically accurate than other tank games while remaining accessible would be a good approach I think.

Reactions: Huntn and decafjava

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Thanks. Looking at that. Panzer Battle is still very much a work in progress. On the other hand, I have to try to get it to be in its own niche. I can't compete with entities like World of Tanks who have 1700 people working for them.. But still, making Panzer Battle more historically accurate than other tank games while remaining accessible would be a good approach I think.
Well good luck, I may download the iOS version though I probably would prefer the desktop. What specs do you think the MacOS version would be?

Edit: As an aside, and I think there is already a thread on this the worst trap for mobile games is amply demonstrated by the Diablo fiasco. Apparently to unlock everything you need to spend something like USD 100,000. No, that isn't a typo.

• Wow

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I am working on this. But the main single player campaign will be the main focus for the upcoming updates. Initially there will be few online players, so the idea would be to play the single player campaign while in the background a team for the multiplayer battle is being assembled. Sounds right?
I am not an expert by any means on the workings of games. My impression is that to have a multiplayer component you would need to host a server which is an expense to you I assume. “Gold“ games tend to be built exclusively on PVP. I’ll also assume that two of the “gold” games (Modern Tanks, Grand Tanks) by the same dev XDevs, the server is paid for by the gold component and since (as far as I know) there is no offline component, people paying for gold, will be there playing because as far as those titles, that is the only game mode. I’m not sure if those games use AI bots or not.

Infinite Tanks has an online component, but the times I’ve tried it, at most I’ve seen 7 players and usually none or 1 player waiting in queue. This is not viable because players won’t sit there and wait, would probably go back to the PVE part of the game.

The problem with those “gold” games besides constantly pressuring you to spend money, the maps are relatively small and with 8 players it’s becomes a gaggle, sometines you find yourself being shot as you log in. Tanks drop goodies when they die, the skill to shoot another tank and do damage is not hard, so the gameplay becomes a balance of kill for xp, and decide when to dash for dropped goodies and not be killed.

As I see it, I’ve not looked at every mobile tank game out there, but Infinite Tanks is your competition, while be aware it also has is a MacOS version. For myself to get away from the blatant gold standard, Panzer Battle and Infinite Tanks are both a breath of fresh air.

For Panzer Battle, I wish you the best, but until you get more complex interaction, I think you’ll get the most revenue with commercials and an option to purchase without commercials, but you might see more overall steady stream of income at this point with just commercials? The problem with Panzer Battle is that the fighting in the first 3 chapters mostly seems to consist of a lone vehicle driving at you from a distant point, and you kill it or vice a versa. It’s not very dynamic from a battle standpoint. My impression is that for AI tank battles, they should consist of at least 3v3, both acting in some coordinated fashion.

Honestly I’m not normally a mobile player, it’s only when I don’t have access to my PC, and I’m on my second week of travel, that I will spend as much time on iOS and MacOS App games. Also, I personally really dislike iOS screen controls. I understand you can configure a keyboard and mouse for iPad so if I was to seriously want to play on iOS, I’d look into this. I have no idea if this is a capability (keyboard/mouse) that you’d have to program into the game or not?

But as I said before, a keyboard/mouse player will destroy an iOS screen control player in the same game, so I guess for the dev it’s a considerstion and trade off for one or the other, keep everyone at the same level, or give keyboard/mouse players the advantage And how this might effect active participation in the game. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

macvanderspek

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
I am not an expert by any means on the workings of games. My impression is that to have a multiplayer component you would need to host a server which is an expense to you I assume. “Gold“ games tend to be built exclusively on PVP. I’ll also assume that two of the “gold” games (Modern Tanks, Grand Tanks) by the same dev XDevs, the server is paid for by the gold component and since (as far as I know) there is no offline component, people paying for gold, will be there playing because as far as those titles, that is the only game mode. I’m not sure if those games use AI bots or not.

Infinite Tanks has an online component, but the times I’ve tried it, at most I’ve seen 7 players and usually none or 1 player waiting in queue. This is not viable because players won’t sit there and wait, would probably go back to the PVE part of the game.

The problem with those “gold” games besides constantly pressuring you to spend money, the maps are relatively small and with 8 players it’s becomes a gaggle, sometines you find yourself being shot as you log in. Tanks drop goodies when they die, the skill to shoot another tank and do damage is not hard, so the gameplay becomes a balance of kill for xp, and decide when to dash for dropped goodies and not be killed.

As I see it, I’ve not looked at every mobile tank game out there, but Infinite Tanks is your competition, while be aware it also has is a MacOS version. For myself to get away from the blatant gold standard, Panzer Battle and Infinite Tanks are both a breath of fresh air.

For Panzer Battle, I wish you the best, but until you get more complex interaction, I think you’ll get the most revenue with commercials and an option to purchase without commercials, but you might see more overall steady stream of income at this point with just commercials? The problem with Panzer Battle is that the fighting in the first 3 chapters mostly seems to consist of a lone vehicle driving at you from a distant point, and you kill it or vice a versa. It’s not very dynamic from a battle standpoint. My impression is that for AI tank battles, they should consist of at least 3v3, both acting in some coordinated fashion.

Honestly I’m not normally a mobile player, it’s only when I don’t have access to my PC, and I’m on my second week of travel, that I will spend as much time on iOS and MacOS App games. Also, I personally really dislike iOS screen controls. I understand you can configure a keyboard and mouse for iPad so if I was to seriously want to play on iOS, I’d look into this. I have no idea if this is a capability (keyboard/mouse) that you’d have to program into the game or not?

But as I said before, a keyboard/mouse player will destroy an iOS screen control player in the same game, so I guess for the dev it’s a considerstion and trade off for one or the other, keep everyone at the same level, or give keyboard/mouse players the advantage And how this might effect active participation in the game. :)
Wow, there are so many good points in this message. Your PvP comments are 'gold' in particular, will be careful not to fall into that trap. And didn't even consider the advantage of MacOS players in PvP. I hope I can pick your brain a bit more the coming period as I try to improve the game further, especially when adding new features. But even your suggested AI 'wolfpack' approach would be great to implement.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've known about Gunner, Heat, PC for a while, at one point there was a free demo, but I did not get around to playing it. It's not Early Access on Steam (PC) for $29. I'm going to wait for a sale, but is anyone playing this? If so, I'd love to hear about it. There are not many reviews on Steam About it. but it looks good, and a multi-player option would be great if and when comes available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.