Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
I think there is no way to answer what the "best" is. Its all opinion and some have different reasons for thinking what they use is the best. But the one I like the most is Coda2. I use it exclusively. Love it!

Silverjerk

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
I've been writing code for 20 years and have used them all. It's so hard to pick a favorite, as that can change from time to time. In the last few years, I've been a big proponent of Sublime Text, but recently switched to Atom as I started seeing some strange performance issues with ST3 that were worrying.

I write in multiple back and front-end languages, so I bounce between Python, Ruby, PHP, Java, Javascript/jQuery, SASS/LESS/CSS, HTML, and recently in a number of full-stack JS technologies like Ember, Meteor, and the like. As a result I have numerous plugins, and ST3 just started getting terribly unreliable during use. For instance, I used this color plugin in CSS files that shows you the color of a hex/rgb/hsl value by displaying the value in the selected color (this even worked using variables) -- that plugin alone could bring the app down to its knees during use. So far, I haven't had any of those problems with Atom.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm just starting out in school learning web design. I've used Text Wrangler in the past but not for html. Is there a better text editor out there for html, css, etc.?
Whoa!!! That is like asking which is best: blondes, brunettes or redheads? Everyone will have an opinion on what is best. Really you have to choose by trying out a bunch and picking the one you like.

I've tried many, many ( coding for 30 years ) and right now I use Coda2 / XCode daily.

What I've tried and liked recently ( no order of preference ):
1) Atom
2) Sublime Text
3) Netbeans
4) Eclipse
5) BlueFish

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverjerk

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Check out Microsoft Visual Studio Code. It's free and open source (yes, Microsoft makes open source software now!). Been using it lately and I really like it. It runs on Mac, Linux and of course Windows.

DaveWotzit

macrumors regular
I use UltraEdit now at v23! The advantage is that it's set up for not only HTML but all sorts of languages and scripting. So when you move on from Basic HTML you've learned the editor skills to use on your next lang. Site says this at the moment:

http://www.ultraedit.com

• Install on up to 3 machines
  • Includes Win, Mac, Linux versions
  • Free upgrades for 1 year
  • Unlimited lifetime tech support
Yeah you have to pay for it but they do big discounts for Schools/teachers; Uni's and students. I think the average is about $39. But as it says you get lots of platforms and you can install it on 3 machines at once.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Really you have to choose by trying out a bunch and picking the one you like.

One hint that I've discovered recently - there's an add on called "Emmet" available for most of the editors mentioned here that is really worth a look.

It allows you to enter HTML elements using a CSS-like shorthand notation, either from scratch or to wrap existing text. So, for example if you have a text file containing:

A line of text
Another line of text
A third line of text

...select them, choose the 'wrap' function, type "ul#mainmenu>li*" and you get:

Code:
<ul id="mainmenu">
   <li>A line of text</li>
   <li>Another line of text</li>
   <li>A third line of text</li>
</ul>

...magic (and you can add your own 'templates')

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
We use PhpStorm at work and despite how much of a resource hog it is being a Java application, it is so
indispensable. I just cannot use other editors as nothing seems to have the same granular level of code intelligence that makes working in Laravel projects an absolute breeze. You can certainly get Atom, VS Code and Sublime Text close to what PhpStorm does though.

In terms of alternatives to PhpStorm, I definitely vouch for Sublime Text. As for others, I really dislike Electron apps so I just cannot bring myself to using Atom. Electron is just a slow piece of junk and a lot of apps built on Electron are designed to feel like a web app dressed in a desktop window which is just intolerable. GitHub has literally brought a disease to the developer community with Electron, all in an effort to solve a non-existent problem.

Reactions: D.T. and rafark

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
Sublime Text is pretty much the industry standard.

We use PhpStorm at work and despite how much of a resource hog it is being a Java application, it is so
indispensable. I just cannot use other editors as nothing seems to have the same granular level of code intelligence that makes working in Laravel projects an absolute breeze. You can certainly get Atom, VS Code and Sublime Text close to what PhpStorm does though.

In terms of alternatives to PhpStorm, I definitely vouch for Sublime Text. As for others, I really dislike Electron apps so I just cannot bring myself to using Atom. Electron is just a slow piece of junk and a lot of apps built on Electron are designed to feel like a web app dressed in a desktop window which is just intolerable. GitHub has literally brought a disease to the developer community with Electron, all in an effort to solve a non-existent problem.

I agree 100%. Cannot imagine who in their sane mind would choose to use crapScript for desktop when the best, most solid languages are available for desktop. God I hate JS with all my heart. I much prefer class-based oo languages.In any case it should be the other way around, browsers executing more languages.

Reactions: D.T.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.