Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Precision Gem

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
USA
It would be impossible for me to make a thesis on an iPad. No app would allow that kind of customisation. Also it would be too cumbersome to lift the arm and scroll through it.

It is like people want it to replace something it can't. I guess people can get used to even the most ineffective ways of working. iPad is the worst productivity experience you could get in most cases. But most people are fine with it.

Your post doesn't make sense. If something is the worst experience you could get, how can most people be fine with it?

Anyway, I have used Pages almost exclusively for years, and really like it. When I am forced to use Word in the office, I seem to always be struggling to get things formatted the way I want.

Have had the iPad Pro now for over a week, and am really glad I bought it. Typing on the larger screen is much better, and even with a cheap rubber stylus taking hand written notes seems to work better than my iPad Air. Can't wait for my Pencil to arrive.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
My favourite is the basic version of iA Writer ... Very simple with excellent Dropbox integration.
I agree completely. iA Writer basic version, continues to be my absolute favorite even after constantly checking out the competition. Combined with Dropbox one ends up with a very reliable setup.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I agree completely. iA Writer basic version, continues to be my absolute favorite even after constantly checking out the competition. Combined with Dropbox one ends up with a very reliable setup.

Can anyone link me to the iA Writer basic ? I can only find the pro version.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Your post doesn't make sense. If something is the worst experience you could get, how can most people be fine with it?

Anyway, I have used Pages almost exclusively for years, and really like it. When I am forced to use Word in the office, I seem to always be struggling to get things formatted the way I want.

Have had the iPad Pro now for over a week, and am really glad I bought it. Typing on the larger screen is much better, and even with a cheap rubber stylus taking hand written notes seems to work better than my iPad Air. Can't wait for my Pencil to arrive.

Because they are used to their iPad and then get used to cumbersome tasks as well. It is their go to device and it would be better if it could do real work also.

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
Yup, and that's why I am buying 4 more iPad Pros for my company. :confused:

It would be impossible for me to make a thesis on an iPad. No app would allow that kind of customisation. Also it would be too cumbersome to lift the arm and scroll through it.

It is like people want it to replace something it can't. I guess people can get used to even the most ineffective ways of working. iPad is the worst productivity experience you could get in most cases. But most people are fine with it.

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
For me it's Editorial, sure it's a text editor and not a word processor but that's how I roll anyway.

Markdown, TaskPaper, automation and Python - everything I need :)

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
how about wps, it's a all-in-one app that handles word, excel and powerpoint. plus, it's free

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
So $9.99 is the basic version?
There's only
iaWriter & iaWriter Pro
It's very simple really.
You choose one to use.

The free model of giving away apps created by working people for free, has caused dementia to spread.

I don't work for free OR expect products and services for free. Those who expect free have no understanding of private sector economics

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
There's only
iaWriter & iaWriter Pro
It's very simple really.
You choose one to use.

The free model of giving away apps created by working people for free, has caused dementia to spread.

I don't work for free OR expect products and services for free. Those who expect free have no understanding of private sector economics

I don't expect anything for free lol.

Just asking if the basic version of iaWriter is $9.99 ?

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Yes, it's 9.99.

One additional thing to mention is that iA writer supports split view (Editorial and Ulysses do not as of yet). This is actually pretty significant.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Yes, it's 9.99.

One additional thing to mention is that iA writer supports split view (Editorial and Ulysses do not as of yet). This is actually pretty significant.

Thanks hopefully it goes on sale for at least half off tomorrow, black friday.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
Can anyone please post a screen grab of how Pages looks on the IPP. I'd love to see a page with some text and the formatting tools present to get an idea of the layout.

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
Why is it any different?
It's not better on the pro vs pad - what you are talking about is "subjective" remember that.
Actually, some of the very factors that make Word better on IPP are just raw specifications that aren't subjective at all. For example, increased screen real estate and memory allow for better multitasking.

Thanks hopefully it goes on sale for at least half off tomorrow, black friday.

It is 50% off now. :)
I'm quite content with Ulysses but at 4.99 it's worth a try.

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
There's only
iaWriter & iaWriter Pro
It's very simple really.
You choose one to use.

Is there still a Pro vs. Non-Pro version? I thought they unified them when releasing v3. I think there is just one version now: iA Writer.

highlystrange

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2015
ÜT: 42.710806,-71.447929
I write a good deal on the ipad mini, the Air 2, and my desktop Mac. Word has become my go-to program for writing. It can be very slow starting up, and it can also lag a small bit connecting to OneDrive. But for general writing on the iPad it takes the cake.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I really like hopTo (Office Cloud Editor) (free) which can also open multiple documents at once (only in tabs, not side by side unfortunately) | requires iOS6 or later | iPad only - supportsPDF,DOC(X),XLS(X),PPT(X),TXT edit/create/read, supports Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Box, iCloud, lacks offline saving

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.