Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbwelsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2021
I haven't seen a discussion about the beta firmware yet, so I figured I would start one. Anyone else try it? I noticed a few things:

1) Sound auto-adjusts based on... nothing? it seems. I was on a call, and the sound kept dropping to almost nothing. It wasn't a loud call, and the environment was not loud. Maybe it was trying to adjust as if I was talking to a person outside the call.
2) Changing the mode didn't hold. I changed back to transparency, normal, and noise cancelling, but still stayed on adaptive.

Reported to apple, so we'll see 🤪

Anyone else?

Reactions: perterojanpera

cmcclure88

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2014
I am having the same issue. I will listen to a song on full volume and then when it changes to the next song it will gradually drop. I will turn it back up and it'll do it again on the next song.

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
Using my AirPod Pro 2s with my Apple TV on TVOS 17, the volume slider will randomly appear on the TV screen and the volume starts adjusting on its own. I didn't touch the stem of the AirPods or the volume on the remote. Odd behaviour.

rettro

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2021
Using my AirPod Pro 2s with my Apple TV on TVOS 17, the volume slider will randomly appear on the TV screen and the volume starts adjusting on its own. I didn't touch the stem of the AirPods or the volume on the remote. Odd behaviour.
That's because of "Personalised Volume", a new feature. It's a little finicky right now. You can turn it off in Settings.

IMG_3372.jpeg

chillg8r

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Durham,NC
Did the developer mode button show up on your iPhone when you updated or did you have to download the XCode 15 beta? The reason I ask is that because I (rarely) use an old MacBook Air I can’t download the Xcode and I don’t know what, or if there is a workaround is for updating the firmware on my IPad pros. I have an iPad Pro? An iPad mini 5. Any ideas? Will they do it for me at the Apple Store perhaps?

rettro

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2021
Did the developer mode button show up on your iPhone when you updated or did you have to download the XCode 15 beta? The reason I ask is that because I (rarely) use an old MacBook Air I can’t download the Xcode and I don’t know what, or if there is a workaround is for updating the firmware on my IPad pros. I have an iPad Pro? An iPad mini 5. Any ideas? Will they do it for me at the Apple Store perhaps?
You should be able to enable it on the device itself, in the Settings app under Privacy & Security > Developer Mode (scroll to the very bottom).

chillg8r

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Durham,NC
You should be able to enable it on the device itself, in the Settings app under Privacy & Security > Developer Mode (scroll to the very bottom).
That’s the problem I don’t have that button, maybe because I am really just a beta subscriber and wasn’t a prior developer?

chillg8r

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Durham,NC
Right! But my MacBook Air is too old so the software won’t work. I need a workaround somehow…..🤷🏼‍♂️

jbwelsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2021
It looks like there is a way, it just isn't likely safe :D. I did it through Xcode to enable some light app development on my phone, but you would need to find some unauthorized app to install:

arovik

macrumors member
May 25, 2009
Is there any bugs in the airpods beta? Like the volume getting to dangerous levels by itself or something?

ananniamul

Suspended
Jun 2, 2023
Bangladesh
I haven't seen a discussion about the beta firmware yet, so I figured I would start one. Anyone else try it? I noticed a few things:

1) Sound auto-adjusts based on... nothing? it seems. I was on a call, and the sound kept dropping to almost nothing. It wasn't a loud call, and the environment was not loud. Maybe it was trying to adjust as if I was talking to a person outside the call.
2) Changing the mode didn't hold. I changed back to transparency, normal, and noise cancelling, but still stayed on adaptive.

Reported to apple, so we'll see 🤪

Anyone else?
: Beta firmware may have stability problems, leading to crashes, freezes, or unexpected behavior. These issues can occur due to incomplete code optimizations, compatibility problems, or unresolved software conflicts.

jbwelsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2021
: Beta firmware may have stability problems, leading to crashes, freezes, or unexpected behavior. These issues can occur due to incomplete code optimizations, compatibility problems, or unresolved software conflicts.
Yes, we all read the stuff when we signed up. This is just a sharing thread for people who have questions if they have the problem alone.

Reactions: motheki and Skoal

dubvulture

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2015
Just found that Find My is broken for my AirPods Pro running the beta firmware. It will give last location but Play Sound and Find are broken. Even when they are right in front of me. Rebooted the phone and reset the AirPods to no avail. 14 PM iOS 17. Submitting feedback now.

dubvulture

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2015
Just found that Find My is broken for my AirPods Pro running the beta firmware. It will give last location but Play Sound and Find are broken. Even when they are right in front of me. Rebooted the phone and reset the AirPods to no avail. 14 PM iOS 17. Submitting feedback now.
A second reboot and reset seems to have fixed the problem. At least for now.

dozeball

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
I've got a bit of a bizarre situation going on...

I'm running iOS 17 build 21a5277h (3rd developer preview), I've enabled the Developer Settings menu, but under the Airpods Testing section, I only see my Airpods Max, not my Airpods Pro 2, even though they're paired and connected.

For reference: They are definitely genuine as I bought them in a physical Apple retail store.

I've tried forgetting the Pros, renaming them, I even let the battery drain completely on both airpods as well as the case, but I can not get them to show up in the Airpods Testing section!

The only thing I've not yet tried as it's the nuclear option, is wiping my phone completely and clean installing iOS 17 beta 3.

I have submitted a bug report, but I haven't received a reply.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I've got a bit of a bizarre situation going on...

I'm running iOS 17 build 21a5277h (3rd developer preview), I've enabled the Developer Settings menu, but under the Airpods Testing section, I only see my Airpods Max, not my Airpods Pro 2, even though they're paired and connected.

For reference: They are definitely genuine as I bought them in a physical Apple retail store.

I've tried forgetting the Pros, renaming them, I even let the battery drain completely on both airpods as well as the case, but I can not get them to show up in the Airpods Testing section!

The only thing I've not yet tried as it's the nuclear option, is wiping my phone completely and clean installing iOS 17 beta 3.

I have submitted a bug report, but I haven't received a reply.

Late to the party, but if this still an issue, I’d try removing Max from the program to see if it might limited to one device at a time.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
I’m currently on Beta firmware 6A262e (the latest I believe) on AirPods Pro gen 2 and hearing what I can only assume is a bug. That said, this issue has been occurring prior to this firmware update.

I have spatial audio set up but have not been turning it on due to a huge difference in volume when it’s on. If I don’t have it switched on the volume gets plenty loud. Very loud turned all the way up however when I go in to control center and turn spatial audio on whatever I’m listening to immediately cuts the volume by half at least. When checking the volume slider it hasn’t changed visually. I tested the issue with volume at 100% just to see.

I’ve checked all the settings in the music and AirPods settings to be sure I didn’t have the reduce volume features turned on but perhaps I missed something.

Has anyone seen a similar issue? I don’t recall when this started but I do know it didn’t occur in the past. I’m guessing at the start of iOS 17 betas.

Apologies for the long post and thanks for any insight any of you may have.

DarkMyst8

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2023
I am on 6A262e and currently I have an issue where my transparency sounds reduced on the right side till I enable conversation boost, then it works fine. It does this in Adaptive and Transparency, and know it isn’t a defect cause the mic on the side that’s having the issue people say they hear me perfectly clear, also, I put my head up to my fan to see if I hear it and I can hear the blowing. Is anyone else having this issue?

motheki

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2023
I am currently using 6A262d Developer beta firmware on my AirPods Max and they are unable to play sound via the lightning to 3.5mm headphone Jack. The headphones have recently been serviced by Apple and the issue only appeared in the latest developer beta.

perterojanpera

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2023
I am currently using 6A262d Developer beta firmware on my AirPods Max and they are unable to play sound via the lightning to 3.5mm headphone Jack. The headphones have recently been serviced by Apple and the issue only appeared in the latest developer beta.
It's due to backend bug of the firmware. Little bit older stable version firmware's don't having this issue.

But I'm also facing this volume dropping issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.