Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your phone encounter this volume problem?

• Yes. I think it’s a hardware-related problem.

• Yes. I think it’s a software-related problem.

• No. My iPhone is just fine.

• No. It’s only an individual case which requires mainten

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
I just purchased an IPhone 12 Pro Max 256 GB. I often listen music on my iPhone. The problem is:
Recently, my ear very often got hurt due to music volume suddenly increased to maximum at very low volume. This happens frequently.

After repeatedly testing my iPhone, the problem can be reproduced by:
1. Open the music app and play the music at low volume (either with phone speaker or earphone)
2. Press the sleep/wake button and immediately double click the volume-up button upon turning of the screen.
3. The volume will suddenly increase to maximum to explode your ears.

If it fails, try it for a few more times to reproduce the problem to see if your iPhone is normal.

So far, I can only reproduce this problem on my iPhone 12 PM, but not my iPhone XS and iPhone X.

A fresh install of iOS 14 cannot solve the problem.

How is your iphone?

Reactions: auth

auth

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
I’m pretty sure it’s a common issue/problem with 12 Pro Max. I’m very frustrated because of it after switching from 12. It did not happen there. I’m 100% sure it’s common because I’ve asked at least 3-5 people and all of them had the same issue. I’ve attached a video of it happening to me. I have more videos from my friends, however, they’re longer and there’s no point in attaching more of them.

leslieqq

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2021
I’m using iPhone 12 mini, I do have the exactly same issue since buying this phone.
Quite annoying and weird, I used many different iPhone before and never got this easy hardware related issue.
but how could Apple made sort of glitch in this basic basic thing even on their latest iPhone…
Come on….

jennyx10

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
Has anyone solved the problem? Apple support told me to send my iPhone for diagnostics. But I’m afraid they won’t find the problem because it’s not as obvious and only happens after pressing lock button. If anyone went through this procedure please tell me about the results

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Has anyone solved the problem? Apple support told me to send my iPhone for diagnostics. But I’m afraid they won’t find the problem because it’s not as obvious and only happens after pressing lock button. If anyone went through this procedure please tell me about the results
I provided the diagnostic data and reported this issue for a few times. The problem still persists from various updates of iOS 14 to the existing iOS 15.0.2.

jennyx10

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
I provided the diagnostic data and reported this issue for a few times. The problem still persists from various updates of iOS 14 to the existing iOS 15.0.2.
Yeah, same here. Did you run diagnostic test remotely with apple support advisor or did you bring in to service center?

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah, same here. Did you run diagnostic test remotely with apple support advisor or did you bring in to service center?
Both tried, but in vain. I gave it up. I lodged a case to Apple support since Jan 2021.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 11.29.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 11.29.07 PM.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 268
Reactions: Uaenitag

jennyx10

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
Thank you for letting me know! Online diagnostics test didn't indicate the issue for me as well. So, I was hesitate to send my phone to service center. I can't believe that they can't solve it for so long. My friend also has iPhone 12 pro max 256 gb and doesn't have this problem. At this point I don't even know what to do

Hofstede

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Thank you for letting me know! Online diagnostics test didn't indicate the issue for me as well. So, I was hesitate to send my phone to service center. I can't believe that they can't solve it for so long. My friend also has iPhone 12 pro max 256 gb and doesn't have this problem. At this point I don't even know what to do
I am interested in knowing whether iPhone 13 PM has the same issue. Lol

Uaenitag

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
I’m pretty sure it’s a common issue/problem with 12 Pro Max. I’m very frustrated because of it after switching from 12. It did not happen there. I’m 100% sure it’s common because I’ve asked at least 3-5 people and all of them had the same issue. I’ve attached a video of it happening to me. I have more videos from my friends, however, they’re longer and there’s no point in attaching more of them.
View attachment 1722858

My iPhone 12 mini does the exact same thing; I don't think it's only the 12 Pro and Pro Max. I went to the Apple Store and they sent it to the service centre, but they sent it back without doing anything because they could replicate the issue somehow. Don't know what to do at this point. They won't replace the phone, but they also won't repair it. And yet, it does seem to be hardware-related somehow, because resetting the phone to factory settings doesn't do anything to fix this.

Uaenitag

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
My iPhone 12 mini does the exact same thing; I don't think it's only the 12 Pro and Pro Max. I went to the Apple Store and they sent it to the service centre, but they sent it back without doing anything because they could replicate the issue somehow. Don't know what to do at this point. They won't replace the phone, but they also won't repair it. And yet, it does seem to be hardware-related somehow, because resetting the phone to factory settings doesn't do anything to fix this.
Went back to the Apple Store today. They kept my phone to repair it. I'm back home now and just tried it and the issue is still there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.