Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Actually, I think this is why Apple has NOT provided headphones with this model - they do not want to be held responsible for smashed iPads so they leave the choice of headset to you.
If you are using a headphone with a short cable (as is common with iPod/iPhone headsets), you will easily pull the iPad off a nearby surface if you stand up and move away from the device by just a couple of feet while wearing the headset.
This isn't a common problem with an iPod which is usually being held, or strapped to a belt, or in a pocket etc. But the iPad will likely be on a coffee table or arm of a sofa or suchlike, ready to take a heavy tumble if you pull on it.
At this stage, I'd say in-ear headsets would be preferable to firmer-fitting over-the-head types. The in-ears would be likelier to detach from your ears under strain against the weight of the iPad, while over-the-head phones will definitely pull the iPad.
Remember, those short iPod-type cables mean you only need to take a single step away from the iPad to pull on it.
I hope this saves some of you some broken iPad glass!

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Actually, I think this is why Apple has NOT provided headphones with this model - they do not want to be held responsible for smashed iPads so they leave the choice of headset to you.
If you are using a headphone with a short cable (as is common with iPod/iPhone headsets), you will easily pull the iPad off a nearby surface if you stand up and move away from the device by just a couple of feet while wearing the headset.
This isn't a common problem with an iPod which is usually being held, or strapped to a belt, or in a pocket etc. But the iPad will likely be on a coffee table or arm of a sofa or suchlike, ready to take a heavy tumble if you pull on it.
At this stage, I'd say in-ear headsets would be preferable to firmer-fitting over-the-head types. The in-ears would be likelier to detach from your ears under strain against the weight of the iPad, while over-the-head phones will definitely pull the iPad.
Remember, those short iPod-type cables mean you only need to take a single step away from the iPad to pull on it.
I hope this saves some of you some broken iPad glass!

That's a very good point. I almost lost my 3 pound Sony laptop doing the thing you describe. It's a real risk but I am not sure anything short of wireless headphones is going to replace being careful. Maybe some enterprising chap can come up with a small magnetic quick release adapter for the headphone plug similar in concept to the power plug on the Mac notebook computers. Maybe someone already has...

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Umm, while a good point and everything... do people REALLY need reminding that if you're connected to something by a cable you need to be careful not to move outside the length of that cable? That strikes me as a remarkably stupid way to break a device.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
By the same token. Be careful not to leave your iPad on a smooth slanted surface. Also, if you are using it on your toilet, don't put it on top of the toilet when you get up to flush, as you risk knocking it down or knocking it into a toilet.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Umm, while a good point and everything... do people REALLY need reminding that if you're connected to something by a cable you need to be careful not to move outside the length of that cable? That strikes me as a remarkably stupid way to break a device.

Yes. People do need reminding.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I love Google.

It's called Replug, and it is a headphone insert which you plug into your headphone jack, it has a magnet on the end which another magnetic thing attaches to, and that other magnetic thing has a headphone jack on the end of it. Makes more sense if you see it.

linkety link link

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
planters-dry.jpg

Allergy Warning: May contain peanuts or peanut fragments.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Use A2DP bluetooth headsets which work well. Then no issues with falling ipad's!

MattWylde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Use A2DP bluetooth headsets which work well. Then no issues with falling ipad's!

Can you change tracks with the BT headphones on the iPad? You currently cannot do that on the iPhone, only volume adjustments.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Do NOT try to sky-dive with the iPad unless it has it's own parachute.

This is a wise-ass comment, the op was trying to be helpful by reminding people of something that will happen probably 1000s of times to a lot of people, he wasn't exaggerating or belabouring a point, because the super vast majority have not used an ipad so far with headphones and are bound to run across some issues. No reason to be nasty.

undrpsi

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Gastonia, NC
and long cords too

I was reading your post and started laughing...just this morning, as I got up from the couch, my longish headphone cord caught the coffee table and almost pulled it from my hands :eek:

I guess like the touch keyboard (which is going from ugh to useable with practice) we'll just have to find the sweet spot.

Any body got links to some BT headphones. The only ones I have noticed (but haven't really been looking) are the behind the neck ones..me no likey them.

Sent from my iPad

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Not only hot but boiling, the elderly lady was severely scalded...

Water can't boil more than a couple of seconds once removed from a heat source. There is no way the coffee was boiling in the cup by the time it was pored, lidded, bagged and handed out the window. Have you ever witnessed water boiling when removed from a heat source for more than 5 seconds?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I used to worry about this, but my headphones have a 64" cable, so it's quite unlikely now.

Also if my cord does break it, it's easily replaceable. Got to love custom monitors.

Bentov

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Can you change tracks with the BT headphones on the iPad? You currently cannot do that on the iPhone, only volume adjustments.

Do you have those controls on your wired headphones? Just curious. I have a pair of sony bluetooth headphones, they are excellent. You can start and stop your music with the headset as well. You will love bluetooth headsets. I figure apple will update the bluetooth in the iphone/ipad ok to give full control soon.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Used to be headphones had coiled cords (so did phones :eek:). While inefficient use of cord they store better and offer feedback feel to avoid the sudden snap at the end that happens with straight cords.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Also, you want to be careful with what gas stations you go to. Apparantly some idiot thought it'd be smart to make gas nozzles that don't break away! If you forget to take it out after refueling your going to seriously screw up both your car and the pump! What kind of idiots design these things for people with a brain?!
:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.