Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6andy6

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
How nice to live in a bubble where nothing unexpected happens.

Its not about being in a bubble Honey, its about taking responsibility for your own actions. No it should not be unexpected if you move 4 feet and have a 3 foot cord and something drops.....its called foreseeable.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Umm, while a good point and everything... do people REALLY need reminding that if you're connected to something by a cable you need to be careful not to move outside the length of that cable? That strikes me as a remarkably stupid way to break a device.

No, they don't - but - the way things go in the US, people would go shouting and screaming at the guys in the Apple store until they got their way and got a replacement. Since "the customer is always right" (even when they're wrong) it'd cost them.

But really I doubt this is the actual reason for not bundling the earbuds - I think it's more along the lines of keeping costs down. Sure unboxing was more of an 'experience' in the PPC G4 / iPod 3G era when you got a ton of accessories neatly packaged inside, but it doesn't go with the modern day cost cutting or environmental considerations (not everyone would want them, some will just throw them out).

This thread does raise an interesting point though. It is possible to be a bit dopey and forget that you had the headphones on, let's say if you're tired/drunk and the door bell goes. This would be trouble regardless of cable length. It's a good case for some sort of magsafe adaptor for the things :)

wolfie37

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
If someone is, let me be kind, 'forgetful' enough to walk away from their iPad whilst wearing short corded ear phones then are they really going to be able to remember reading this warning? This really is a very daft warning to put out, what next? Perhaps we should warn people that when watching a movie on the iPad while it rests on your lap please remember not to stand up when the door bell or phone or microwave goes off as the iPad is going to fall and hit the ground.

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Actually, I think this is why Apple has NOT provided headphones with this model - they do not want to be held responsible for smashed iPads so they leave the choice of headset to you.

Seems like it would have been better for them to just tell us about this danger, rather than taking the headphones out of the contents in some form of symbolic code-gesturing.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Umm, while a good point and everything... do people REALLY need reminding that if you're connected to something by a cable you need to be careful not to move outside the length of that cable? That strikes me as a remarkably stupid way to break a device.

Until Apple decides to ship their iPads with bluetooth headphones, it's nice to be reminded of this every now and then.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Ultimate ears

Lots of great choices and the connection was very tight.
That magnetic thingy looks like a lifesaver. Thanks. :cool:

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
Sony Bluetooth behind the head earphones

I have been using Sony DR-BT21G headset with my iPhone. It works well with the iPad but has to be rediscovered each time I turn them on. The iPhone remembers them and connects automatically.

The buttons on the headset are good sized and logically positioned. And they are light. Best of all, they sound great.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Its not about being in a bubble Honey, its about taking responsibility for your own actions. No it should not be unexpected if you move 4 feet and have a 3 foot cord and something drops.....its called foreseeable.

This is intended as a family device and some of us can foresee young kids using it and being easily distracted by something or getting excited over some game and leaping up and inadvertently pulling the machine with a short headphone cord and damaging it. Just because your parents might feel you are now old enough to play without their supervision, that doesn't apply to all other children of your age.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Great, so being responsible means that you can't have an accident--whether it's your fault or someone else's? I've heard stories of responsible people; their computer goes wonky because someone tripped and spilled coffee onto their notebook. If you're at the cafe with your iPad and listening to music, what's to say that someone won't brush by and bump your tablet off the table?

Water can't boil more than a couple of seconds once removed from a heat source. There is no way the coffee was boiling in the cup by the time it was pored, lidded, bagged and handed out the window. Have you ever witnessed water boiling when removed from a heat source for more than 5 seconds?
She suffered second and third degree burns. There were places where the coffee burned her skin to the bone. It sounds as though the coffee was still damn hot.
McDonald's may bag your coffee now, but they didn't used to do that. They just gave you the cup with lid as is. They didn't just heat their coffee to boiling, they exceeded the boiling point. That would allow plenty of time to pour, lid and hand over a cup, filled with coffee above the boiling point.
Water doesn't have to be physically boiling to be boiling hot or hotter. If you've ever microwaved water, you'll know that unless you give the water something to cling to, it'll be boiling hot without any of the boiling action.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.