Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OMAC1A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2006
First off, I don't game on my Mac since it's a a basic Macbook. I plan on getting a more powerful Mac after Leopard comes out and assuming I have the cash :) Anyway, I play Battlefield 2 and 2142 on my PC and was pretty excited when I heard that EA was bringing Battlefield to the Mac, that is until I heard it was through emulation. The problem with EA and DICE is that they REFUSE to support widescreen monitors in BF. Their reasoning is that people with 16:9 widescreen monitors have an advantage over people with 4:3 normal monitors because they can see more. They have also gone on record stating that widescreen monitors are a small percentage of the overall gaming market.

Since all of Apple's products are widescreen I am curious to see if EA is going to enable widescreen support for Apple. Since it's through emulation, I suspect they aren't.

Why am I posting this? I basically don't want you guys to go through the frustrations that I and other PC owners have with DICE and EA. I suggest that you guys post on the EA support forums to see about widescreen support.

Here is the widescreengamingforum.com and EA support forum discussions so you can see what we have been going through with EA.

WSGF BF discussion

EA support forum (locked now)

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Although they'll probably never put in true widescreen, I'd imagine you can stretch the picture. It stretches the screen automatically when I play Battlefield 2 on my MacBook Pro.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
BF2142 isn't being emulated. It's a little different than that. It probably won't play as well as on a PC, granted, but it's not emulation. ;)

OMAC1A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2006
BF2142 isn't being emulated. It's a little different than that. It probably won't play as well as on a PC, granted, but it's not emulation. ;)

A wrapper is close enough to emulation for me. Either way, they aren't making a dedicated build for OSX, which means it probably won't be optimized for widescreen monitors.

loneshark

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
florida
EA games and release dates

when are these games coming out ? are there solid release dates for them i.e. battlefield ??

loneshark

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
florida
yea man, you need to "up your game sucka" haha just kiddin.

I just got a new system after 6 years of not having one at all. can you imagine not being with a comp for 6 years. hahahahaaha

icecone

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
They say in July
But it's mid-July already:(

The windows and the mac version?
which is better?

loneshark

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
florida
im just glad, a major company (EA) took the leap to pay for programers to make unix code for their games.

hopefully others (major companies) will follow suit, once they see the sales on their apple EA games sales.

im sure we all know that Halo was created on an apple.

so its all really boils down to 'money-grubbing little...oh, never mind. " lol

check this link

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
im just glad, a major company (EA) took the leap to pay for programers to make unix code for their games.

EA probably didn't have to write much code Mac code to their ports. Cider takes care probably most or all of the coding. In fact, people have been disassembling the contents of Cider apps (X3 and GameTap, for example) and dropping in PC games to get Cider-ized games on their Macs. It's not completely perfect (glitches and requires CD cracks and of course the legality of it all is questionable), so it's a wonder to me what's taking so long.

im sure we all know that Halo was created on an apple.

Well, it might have started there. But anything that you see in Halo on the Xbox or Mac/PC versions has little to no relation to the original code and assets.

I guess we should all hope the first batch of EA games out before the end of July.

barryp

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2004
Los Angeles
Hurry Up!

Damn I can't wait for this. Why is the release date so mysterious? Or is it? I only really read Insidemacgames.com ...and as far as I know, it's already 'July'~!

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Well, they've got 11 more days of July to release BF2142 and C&C. I'm not familiar with EA's releases but with July slowly coming to an end I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the two titles will be released simultaneously.

FreedomFighter

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Well if EA follow there normal trend then all the game will be released on the 31st of july with out any warning what so ever. so as you said there is only now a 9 day wait for me (i'm in Aus). but it won't be too much longer:cool:

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Hopefully the games will be released before the end of July. I wonder if EA has the logistics in place to support Mac games. I'm really skeptical about how invested and committed EA is.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Well, Insidemacgames does have C&C Tiberium listed with a release date of July 7th. :rolleyes: I get the feeling both BF2142 and C&C will be released on the 31st of July.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.