Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Big Sur Beta 11.3.2 (Build 20E5186d)
I noticed some problems:
1. Adguard 2.5.2 (246) not working.
2. Google Drive - Backup and Sync. App not opening.

Any options?

I can verify that Google Backup and Sync doesn't work with 11.3.2. I didn't have it installed for 11.3 so I can't say if this is a new problem.
It does work with 11.2.1.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I noticed some problems:

Any options?

I know that I said that Backup 'n' Sync wasn't working, but I just checked and it was an old version.
I downloaded and installed the current version (3.54.3529.0458) and it works quite nicely.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
FireFox 86.0 added Total Cookie Protection, working on macOS 11.3 beta 2

Mozilla detailed the new Firefox feature on its Security blog today:

Our new feature, Total Cookie Protection, works by maintaining a separate “cookie jar” for each website you visit. Any time a website, or third-party content embedded in a website, deposits a cookie in your browser, that cookie is confined to the cookie jar assigned to that website, such that it is not allowed to be shared with any other website.
The new security feature is part of Firefox’s Enhanced Tracking Protection (ETP) Strict mode. But there is support for cross-site tracking exceptions:

In addition, Total Cookie Protection makes a limited exception for cross-site cookies when they are needed for non-tracking purposes, such as those used by popular third-party login providers. Only when Total Cookie Protection detects that you intend to use a provider, will it give that provider permission to use a cross-site cookie specifically for the site you’re currently visiting. Such momentary exceptions allow for strong privacy protection without affecting your browsing experience.
Total Cookie Protection comes after Mozilla launched Supercookie Protections back in January with Firefox 85. The nonprofit says “Together these features prevent websites from being able to “tag” your browser, thereby eliminating the most pervasive cross-site tracking technique.”

For a technical breakdown of how Total Cookie Protection works, you can read Mozilla’s developer document here.

Rus_Knights

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2020
I noticed some problems:

Any options?
It occured to be a problem caused by old Vanilla icons mange app version. reinstalled to current version and every thing is great.

apple_23

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
I find out that nearly all appstore apps, I use, don't work on BigSur (mostly such that offer widgets). Reinstallation doesn't help either. Moreover nearly all registrations become invalid allthought the specific app bassically works.

My feelings proved to be right. Not update to BigSur and do not before even the tiniest app has a decent version for it.

Fortunately I cloned my drive and tested on external start-volume. So I could throw away the clone

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
What apps have been a problem for you?
I haven't had any problems with the ones I installed from the App Store (BBEdit, MultiMarkdown Composer, WPS Office, Kiwi for Gmail, Bear, IP Scanner, Pages, Numbers, etc).
A number that I downloaded directly from their websites like Ulysses and OmniOutliner needed to be updated, but that was all.
Some, like LibreOffice, Atom Editor and Mendeley worked without any problems before, during and after the transition to Big Sur.

apple_23

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
What apps have been a problem for you?
I haven't had any problems with the ones I installed from the App Store (BBEdit, MultiMarkdown Composer, WPS Office, Kiwi for Gmail, Bear, IP Scanner, Pages, Numbers, etc).
A number that I downloaded directly from their websites like Ulysses and OmniOutliner needed to be updated, but that was all.
Some, like LibreOffice, Atom Editor and Mendeley worked without any problems before, during and after the transition to Big Sur.

Where to start, where to stop?

I try an incomplete summary

Monit
Shellcraft
ZoomMe
Snap'nDrag
Moped
TeraCopy

The only Appstore-apps that work are

alle Apple-apps
Subnet-Calc

They were updated to universal binary

Besides all and I really mean ALL non Appstore-apps, that require licenses, lost it, No matter if it was Microsoft Office or Avira or Commander One. Mercifully Avira updated itself and licensing was possible again, but no chance with Microsoft or Commander One for example

At this point I stopped the whole Big Sur-adventure and reverted back to Catalina. It didn't feel right at all. Where is something like a safety net to still be able using older apps the way they are meant to be? We had it in the time of change from classic OS to OS X, why not now? The whole adventure just proved my thought that it will take 2 or 3 years until developers have either stopped developing or updated their apps in a decent way (when it says in app-store "meant for 10.9 or higher" really means "for 10.9 or higher" and is not just a phrase). Im mean the whole Mx-CPU-thing feels basically good but it seemingly lacks support for developers and users. Take it or leave it seems to be the motto for developers as well as for users. There's no continuity from Catalina onwards which existed many OS-versions back

And funny enough, an app like CoRD, for which development ceased a long time ago, just worked out fine. But that's just one glimpse on the horizon where all other things are pitch-black.

So I will just do that: Wait the 2 or 3 years and watch what happens, In this time I stick to Catalina which then sure will get no functinality-updates any more but will still be provided with SIP, MRT and Gatekeeper-patches.

So far the whole Big Sur-thing feels as if it was a take that went terribly wrong.

But time will tell....

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Ok, Big Sur Beta 11.3.4 is now out, and installed on my play drive.
All seems to be working, except for one little niggle that happens (or, really, doesn't happen) on 11.3 Beta, but not on 11.2 Release.

I have a couple of shared drives that I like to mount at start up. I have made aliases of them, and put those aliases in my Login Items. On Catalina, and on Big Sur 11.2, this results in the drives being mounted at start up, but not opened. All is good.
On 11.3 Beta, however, the system ignores those drives at boot up. I can mount the drives by opening up the aliases on my desktop, so it's not a big thing, just some difference between 11.2 and 11.3

kdeda

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
Fusion works fine for me on my Mac Pro: windows update has just installed some updates and I haven’t had an issue connecting to any site

I am running in Bridge mode (automatic) networking
I depend on VMWare 12.1.0 to test/maintain older versions of my software. It has worked flawlessly for the last 3, 4 years, until BigSur. There are subtle and weird errors not to mention that is flickers and is dog slow.

Since I really need virtualization, I gave Parallel 16.1.3 a spin.
It was able to import one of the VMWare machines with not much problem.
However I noticed some odd, subtle and weird errors as well.
For example the Software Update fails because it can't verify the package signature ...
Dunno, it should just work out of the box.
I changed the network for the VM to Shared Network and I'm back in the game with Parallels.
I will also note that VMWare 12.1 is dog slow on my shiny Mac Pro. Parallels 16.1.3 much snappier.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
  • Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) - 5.1.26 b3 - This build adds support for System volume cloning on Apple's M1 Macs running macOS Big Sur 11.3 and later.
While I saw more copied using a intel based iMac 11.3 beta 5 it still didn't make it bootable to most recent 11.3 beta, but must be closer to working.

reference
Support for System volume cloning on Apple Silicon Macs is disabled for now because Apple's APFS replication utility does not currently work on that platform. When Apple fixes that, we'll post an update to CCC that restores support for making bootable backups on Apple Silicon Macs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Another update the following day
  • Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) - 5.1.26 b4- This build adds support for System volume cloning on Apple's M1 Macs running macOS Big Sur 11.3 and later.
  • Please bear in mind that this does not mean CCC will automatically and immediately start copying the System volume on your M1 Mac. In most cases, you really should not sacrifice your current backup just to copy the System volume. If you already installed macOS onto your backup, leave it as it is. If you want to clone your System volume, erase your current backup and reselect it in CCC's Destination selector. One additional caveat: support for cloning the System back to the internal storage is currently disabled because the APFS filesystem consistently kernel panics the Mac at the end of the restore procedure. We will be holding this update until the final release of 11.3 to see if Apple resolves that matter.

Nacho Varga

Suspended
Mar 21, 2021
  • Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) - 5.1.26 b3 - This build adds support for System volume cloning on Apple's M1 Macs running macOS Big Sur 11.3 and later.
While I saw more copied using a intel based iMac 11.3 beta 5 it still didn't make it bootable to most recent 11.3 beta, but must be closer to working.

reference
I would appreciate a clear status on Carbon Copy Cloner, given that SuperDuper! has still not been updated to work with Big Sur in a straight forward manner, whether the machine is Intel-based or M1-based.

It was my understanding that V5.1.25 of CCC works fine with Big Sur on Intel-based Macs. When I say "works fine", I mean it works like CCC has always done prior to Big Sur. Nothing special needs to be done (and no "clumsy" way of doing the backup/clone). I have been testing Big Sur (up to and including V11.2.2) on an external Samsung T7 1 TB SSD, but have not tested any kind of backup (I have not "moved" to CCC yet). I have been waiting for V11.3 to be released after all the beta testing, so that I could test the latest version of Tech Tool Pro (did not work as it should with Big Sur V11.2). If it did work, I was going to make the permanent move to Big Sur, and also to CCC. Both of my Macs are Intel-based. But I need assurance that CCC works as advertised.

I actually like the look and feel of Big Sur, but am still bothered by the following issues:

1. No backup/cloning software works "as normal" with M1-based Macs. True, not applicable to me at this time, but I have been eyeing the M1-based MacBook Air.

2. Read recently that in order to do a clean installation of Big Sur on M1-based Macs, cannot download the M1 version of Big Sur and proceed that way. One can only do it via the internet/Apple "recovery" process. Not something I am keen on, as I like to control the installation on my own.

In reality, I am still doing fine with Catalina. Works real well, is rock solid, and I can still use SuperDuper!. I have always kept up with the latest version of the Mac OS, but might forgo moving to Big Sur at this time. Still though, I like Big Sur.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Would appreciate any comments, advice, etc.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I would appreciate a clear status on Carbon Copy Cloner, given that SuperDuper! has still not been updated to work with Big Sur in a straight forward manner, whether the machine is Intel-based or M1-based.

It was my understanding that V5.1.25 of CCC works fine with Big Sur on Intel-based Macs. When I say "works fine", I mean it works like CCC has always done prior to Big Sur. Nothing special needs to be done (and no "clumsy" way of doing the backup/clone). I have been testing Big Sur (up to and including V11.2.2) on an external Samsung T7 1 TB SSD, but have not tested any kind of backup (I have not "moved" to CCC yet). I have been waiting for V11.3 to be released after all the beta testing, so that I could test the latest version of Tech Tool Pro (did not work as it should with Big Sur V11.2). If it did work, I was going to make the permanent move to Big Sur, and also to CCC. Both of my Macs are Intel-based. But I need assurance that CCC works as advertised.

I actually like the look and feel of Big Sur, but am still bothered by the following issues:

1. No backup/cloning software works "as normal" with M1-based Macs. True, not applicable to me at this time, but I have been eyeing the M1-based MacBook Air.

2. Read recently that in order to do a clean installation of Big Sur on M1-based Macs, cannot download the M1 version of Big Sur and proceed that way. One can only do it via the internet/Apple "recovery" process. Not something I am keen on, as I like to control the installation on my own.

In reality, I am still doing fine with Catalina. Works real well, is rock solid, and I can still use SuperDuper!. I have always kept up with the latest version of the Mac OS, but might forgo moving to Big Sur at this time. Still though, I like Big Sur.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Would appreciate any comments, advice, etc.
Apple broke the APFS replication utility going to Big Sur from Catalina for both Mx and x86 platforms. See Blog

The example earlier I ran with 11.3b5 was seeing if support was added for both system/data volumes using CCC beta when doing incremental beta system upgrades for 11.3. The external volume was 11.2 which it remained at.

As mentioned on the blog you could always install a system on the backup volume separately and run a backup of CCC to build the data volume for recovery. It’s not up to a full CCC functionality like Catalina and earlier still.

This something the CCC developer notified Apple about and is getting closer to being corrected by Apple as commented in the CCC beta changes document. I been using CCC for some time and noticed that SuperDuper compatibility as we changed OS versions was lagging. Going from 10.15.7 to 11.0 had a lot of changes, but it was clear that concerning Mx support Macs initially was going to take time to get it even to work. :)

Last edited:

Nacho Varga

Suspended
Mar 21, 2021
Apple broke the APFS replication utility going to Big Sur from Catalina for both Mx and x86 platforms. See Blog

The example earlier I ran with 11.3b5 was seeing if support was added for both system/data volumes using CCC beta when doing incremental beta system upgrades for 11.3. The external volume was 11.2 which it remained at.

As mentioned on the blog you could always install a system on the backup volume separately and run a backup of CCC to build the data volume for recovery. It’s not up to a full CCC functionality like Catalina and earlier still.

This something the CCC developer notified Apple about and is getting closer to being corrected by Apple as commented in the CCC beta changes document. I been using CCC for some time and noticed that SuperDuper compatibility as we changed OS versions was lagging. Going from 10.15.7 to 11.0 had a lot of changes, but it was clear that concerning Mx support Macs initially was going to take time to get it even to work. :)
Here is what it currently states on Bombich's blog:

First sentence: "CCC 5.1.23 can now make bootable backups of a Big Sur startup disk on Intel-based Macs."

Also, on another Mac discussion site, a user confirmed the same thing. So, that says CCC will work like "normal" with Big Sur on Intel-based Macs. And again, by "normal", I mean like it works with Catalina and before.

If that is not correct, please explain. Also, I would assume subsequent versions of CCC would not change that.

Te subsequent beta versions of CCC that you have mentioned seem to be (hopefully) directed at making CCC behave like "normal" on M1-based Macs.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I been using CCC for some time and noticed that SuperDuper compatibility as we changed OS versions was lagging.
And that has allowed Chronosync to leapfrog SuperDuper in the cloning stakes. Like CCC, Chronosync has been on top of the changes with clear workarounds (with instructions) for cloning BS.

Nacho Varga

Suspended
Mar 21, 2021
And that has allowed Chronosync to leapfrog SuperDuper in the cloning stakes. Like CCC, Chronosync has been on top of the changes with clear workarounds (with instructions) for cloning BS.
From this:

it looks like Chronosync cannot work directly with Big Sur, as it has a "round about way" of having a bootable backup. SuperDuper! does something similar:

But as I linked to above, for Intel-based Macs only, CCC does not require such a "clumsy" process. It can directly clone the System and Data volumes of Big Sur, just like it has been doing for each Mac OS from Catalina and backward. Again, that is what I mean by CCC working like "normal" with Big Sur on Intel-based Macs.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Yes the same limitation mentioned below :)
But with a major release from macOS 10.15 to macOS 11.0, one would expect major changes. Now, macOS Big Sur adds strong cryptographic protections to store system content on a signed system volume (SSV). SSV features a kernel mechanism that verifies the integrity of the system content at runtime, and rejects any data — code and non-code — that doesn’t have a valid cryptographic signature from Apple (source: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=3xpv8r2m). This makes it impossible for ChronoSync to create a bootable Big Sur System volume since it cannot cryptographically sign the filesystem.

Last edited:

Nacho Varga

Suspended
Mar 21, 2021
Yes the same limitation mentioned below :)
But it looks like Bombich Software has figured out a way to get around that for Big Sur on Intel-based Macs, and work like normal. That is what I have been saying, and since no one has objected, that seems to be the case.

Kudos to Bombich!

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I withdraw that. I can't get CS to work with an encrypted clone.
But it looks like Bombich Software has figured out a way to get around that for Big Sur on Intel-based Macs, and work like normal. That is what I have been saying, and since no one has objected, that seems to be the case
Perhaps not quite "like normal", but I agree. My CCC clone is working to a destination which I booted and encrypted with FileVault. Back on the main boot disk, Finder can't mount the clone, but CCC can (it only mounts the Data volume) - tricky stuff there.

Nacho Varga

Suspended
Mar 21, 2021
Perhaps not quite "like normal", but I agree. My CCC clone is working to a destination which I booted and encrypted with FileVault. Back on the main boot disk, Finder can't mount the clone, but CCC can (it only mounts the Data volume) - tricky stuff there.
Can you restart your machine from that CCC clone? That is what I would want to do in case of a disaster, in which I would need to recover from that backup/clone. (Have done that a couple of times with SuperDuper!, and it is/was a life saver!).

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Can you restart your machine from that CCC clone? That is what I would want to do in case of a disaster, in which I would need to recover from that backup/clone. (Have done that a couple of times with SuperDuper!, and it is/was a life saver!).
If you go and install macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 on the external backup volume as a separate task, then use CCC 5.1.25 to back up your data volume, it will be bootable and you can keep that updated for any restoration. You would be mostly restoring your data from data volume. Likely you would just install/repair the OS on your computers SSD or Fusion Drive first. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.