Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I withdraw that. I can't get CS to work with an encrypted clone.

Perhaps not quite "like normal", but I agree. My CCC clone is working to a destination which I booted and encrypted with FileVault. Back on the main boot disk, Finder can't mount the clone, but CCC can (it only mounts the Data volume) - tricky stuff there.
Use the 5.1.25 b4 to see present status. Go into preferences -> software updates -> enable beta. Then when it updates you will see the mounted System Volume. This won't be updated until Apple resolves the APFS replicator issues mention by developer. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: gilby101

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
If you go and install macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 on the external backup volume as a separate task, then use CCC 5.1.25 to back up your data volume, it will be bootable and you can keep that updated for any restoration. You would be mostly restoring your data from data volume. Likely you would just install/repair the OS on your computers SSD or Fusion Drive first. :)

You beat me to it. I have done exactly that, and it worked perfectly. Install BS 11.2 on a volume, use CCC to duplicate the Data volume.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
If you go and install macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 on the external backup volume as a separate task, then use CCC 5.1.25 to back up your data volume, it will be bootable and you can keep that updated for any restoration. You would be mostly restoring your data from data volume. Likely you would just install/repair the OS on your computers SSD or Fusion Drive first. :)

You beat me to it. I have done exactly that, and it worked perfectly. Install BS 11.2 on a volume, use CCC to duplicate the Data volume.

Also, the current CCC is clever enough (at least on Intel Macs) to duplicate a whole BS drive, System and Data volumes, onto a clean, blank drive. The process looks a bit odd while it is doing it, but it works in the end.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Can you restart your machine from that CCC clone?
Yes. It boots just fine and your macOS user password unlocks the Filevaulted disk. But keep your FileVault recovery key handy on another device (or piece of paper) in case of issues as the recovery key will be different to that on your normal boot disk.
If you go and install macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 on the external backup volume as a separate task, then use CCC 5.1.25 to back up your data volume, it will be bootable and you can keep that updated for any restoration.
CCC suggests that when CCC creates the bootable clone, it should erase erase the destination and use ASR to copy both BS volumes. At point the clone is bootable. No need for separate task. But any future macOS updates will require booting the clone and performing the macOS update - or you get CCC to erase and clone again.

Nacho Varga

Suspended
Mar 21, 2021
Here is what it says on Bombich's blog:

Note the very first sentence: "CCC 5.1.23 can now make bootable backups of a Big Sur startup disk on Intel-based Macs". I take that to mean that CCC will back up/clone both the System and Data volumes, like it has been doing for Catalina (and a number of version of the Mac OS before Catalina). And if one has a disaster, one can boot from that CCC System volume and do a restore of that last backup/clone made by CCC. Is that not correct? I hope so, because that is what I require.

Right now, I am on Catalina V10.15.7 on both of my Macs, and via SuperDuper!, I make a bootable backup/clone for each of my Macs on separate partitions on an external SSD (actually I have two such external SSDs). I can boot each respective Mac from its latest SuperDuper! backup, and if desired, do a complete restore from that backup. I am under the impression that CCC works in a similar fashion.

Nacho Varga

Suspended
Mar 21, 2021
Yes. It boots just fine and your macOS user password unlocks the Filevaulted disk. But keep your FileVault recovery key handy on another device (or piece of paper) in case of issues as the recovery key will be different to that on your normal boot disk.

CCC suggests that when CCC creates the bootable clone, it should erase erase the destination and use ASR to copy both BS volumes. At point the clone is bootable. No need for separate task. But any future macOS updates will require booting the clone and performing the macOS update - or you get CCC to erase and clone again.
Looks like you answered my question, and as expected, CCC will backup both the System and Data volumes containing Big Sur on Intel-based Macs. No need to first do an installation of the Mac OS (Big Sur) on that destination drive/partition on the drive. And it is bootable.

Also, regarding erasing the destination volume/partition, I already do that with my SuperDuper! backups. As for future OS updates, I usually do a clean, fresh installation of a "new" update (eg, like going from V11.2.2 to V11.3 of Big Sur), that is, I would do a clean, fresh installation of OS 11.3 after booting the machine from the latest CCC backup/clone (after erasing the internal SSD containing OS 11.2.2).

Last edited:

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Big Sur 11.3 Beta 6 (Build 20E5224a) installed with no problems. At least not visible yet...

However, I have now had multiple updates installed upon update and the whole system sometimes appears a bit sluggish.

I think it might be time for a clean install.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Big Sur 11.3 Beta 7 (Build 20E5229a) installed with no problems.
However, still hasn't fixed the problem (reported to Apple) of aliases of shared volumes not mounting at startup, whereas they do under Big Sur 11.2 (and Catalina, and systems before that).

After my previous comment I did re-format the drive and install Big Sur 11.3 Beta 6 from a full install file, and it certainly does appear to run more reliably and snappily. My guess is that 5 levels of updates, one upon the other, is probably the maximum before a format and re-build.

Last edited:

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Big Sur 11.3 Beta 8 (Build 20E5231a) installed with no problems.
However, still hasn't fixed the problem (reported to Apple) of aliases of shared volumes not mounting at startup, whereas they do under Big Sur 11.2 (and Catalina, and systems before that).

OTOH, what is now working (and I don't know when it was fixed) is being a practical NFS client.
Using the command
sudo mount -o nolocks -t nfs rpi:/shared /System/Volumes/Data/Users/Shared/mnt/
now works a treat.
Use showmount -e [nfsdrive address] to see your shared mounts.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
It appears that the final version of Big Sur 11.3 is now out as an update for the Developer stream.
I would expect that the full 12.something Gbyte installer will be available soon.

More to come...

Rivanov

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2010
Netherlands
Running macOS Big Sur 10.4 Beta 1 on my iMac but I can't get my Xbox Series X controller connect via Bluetooth. I though this would work?

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Ok, one of my problems from BS 11.3 onwards, has been that I can't simply mount shared volumes at startup.
I can mount the volumes as normal, then drag them into Login Items in my Users and Groups. However, when I do that, it mounts the volumes, and opens them, taking up my desktop real estate. I have to manually close them before I continue.
Under Mojave, Catalina and BS up to and including 11.2.3, I could --
  1. Mount one or more volumes
  2. Make aliases of those volumes
  3. Drag the aliases into my Login Items
  4. Reboot
  5. The volumes would be mounted, the icons on my desktop, but the windows wouldn't be opened.
That's what I have been wanting. It hasn't been working since 11.3. The volumes simply don't mount if I have put the aliases to the volumes in my Login Items.

I have now found a solution.
  1. Create a folder in my User -- mkdir ~/Volumes
  2. Mount the remote volume in that folder with mount -t afp afp://username:password@server/VolName ~/Volumes/VolName
I have been able to script that
Code:
#!/bin/zsh
mount -t afp afp://username:password@server/VolName1  ~/Volumes/VolName1
mount -t afp afp://username:password@server/VolName2  ~/Volumes/VolName2
and save it in my 'bin' folder as mountafp.sh
and I then put a line in my .zprofile file ~/bin/mountafp.sh

Reboot, and my volumes are mounted, but not opened. Happy, happy, joy, joy...

BTW, my server is a RPi 4, and with this I can read and write files as fast as my 1Gbit network can handle.

If anybody wants to know how to make a RPi into an AppleShare server, let me know and I can start a thread somewhere.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
May 6th Logitek G hub update 2021.4.3830 released, mentioning fixing a battery issue, also some old 32 bit windows, Mac OS's being dropped (last version for them)

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
I have noticed that with my iMac a slowing down, the spinning ball of death . I have 32G RAM, 3.4 Quad Core intel core i5 and very little going on in the background. I use Bitdefender for the virus scanner (paid) and Backblaze for the off site backup, and the time Machine to an external. But the slow down since the last several updates have been annoying. I find that after they have downloaded and installed, I should be able to go ahead with what I need, but finding that I have to wait a few hours for things to settle down. It is annoying. I am guessing there must be problems with the IOS.

On a side note, I have had the Apple platform for 8 years, and do miss my old dead and buried PC. With that I could swap memory chips, install things and even clean it out now and then of the dust bunnies. I have no reason to go back, as we are an Apple family, but I do miss the ability to go in and get things upgraded. That being said, perhaps the slow done on this imac 2017 4K is OS related and will do better.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
FYI, Big Sur 11.4 Build 20F71(Final, RC, whatever) is currently available as an update in the Developer (and perhaps Public) Seed Program.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Carbon Copy Cloner 6 was release today. It runs fine under Big Sur and 11.4RC

dark_mode.jpg

v654321

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Vilvoorde, Belgium
For me, IINA 1.2.0 (native M1 build on M1 MBP) stops playing videofiles after 45-60 seconds roughly. Only experiencing this since MacOS 11.4.

Edit: might eventually not be an issue with IINA after all. I'm suspecting wifi speed issues since updating to Big Sur 11.4.

Last edited:

eco7777

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
Capto was working for me on Bigsur but I did the update 2 days ago and it will not work anymore even thou I am giving it permission in System preferences.

Any ideas on how to make it work again?
TY!

Reactions: jagooch

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Capto was working for me on Bigsur but I did the update 2 days ago and it will not work anymore even thou I am giving it permission in System preferences.

Any ideas on how to make it work again?
I had that problem only yesterday. I think it is due to a Capto update or maybe just the Capto update process. Not due to BS update. Issue has gone away following a few restarts of Capto and its helper process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.