Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
I've been using Dockmod to make the dock black in Mountain Lion, but it no longer works with 10.8.4. The developer said he's working on an update, but I was wondering if anybody knows another way to make it black. I wish I hadn't updated, because now the dock is blinding me again.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Strange some people got their old default Dock back, I have a transparent dock and even after updating to 10.8.4 it stayed that way.

As for your Dock, I think it takes mere days for the Dev. to update his App, guess you can wait a few days.

Edit: I think I know why, my hack is in Resources which is not updated as you can see in the SS below, yours is the Dock Executable which is updated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-07 at 11.07.58.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-07 at 11.07.58.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:

Omek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Strange some people got their old default Dock back, I have a transparent dock and even after updating to 10.8.4 it stayed that way.

As for your Dock, I think it takes mere days for the Dev. to update his App, guess you can wait a few days.

Edit: I think I know why, my hack is in Resources which is not updated as you can see in the SS below, yours is the Dock Executable which is updated.

Ya tried the terminal and GUI method but neither works. I just hope this update doesn't take too long.

Vandal.

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Berlin, Germany
dockmod 1.1 is out and it supports 10.8.4!

No idea since when but mine just updated to it. It's strange because dockmod 1.0 did claim to not be working for me either, but I just ignored that popup and it still worked.

benjamin831

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
It looks like it does work but when I applied the theme to the dock, the dock graphic looks really blurry. I'm using a Macbook retina though.

Omek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
dockmod 1.1 is out and it supports 10.8.4!

No idea since when but mine just updated to it. It's strange because dockmod 1.0 did claim to not be working for me either, but I just ignored that popup and it still worked.

Awesome, thank you! He said he would offer a download for the free black dock too, so hopefully that comes soon.

Vandal.

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Berlin, Germany
Awesome, thank you! He said he would offer a download for the free black dock too, so hopefully that comes soon.
1xsvs.jpg

But seriously, I paid for the software but am missing the option to just switch to a black dock (who doesn't?), not add black images and trying to change opacity and whatnot to make it look exactly like before.

Omek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003

But seriously, I paid for the software but am missing the option to just switch to a black dock (who doesn't?), not add black images and trying to change opacity and whatnot to make it look exactly like before.

You have to go up to the actions menu and select "enable DockMod." I think it starts out disabled. I was having the same issue until I did that. Then you have to play with the blacks a little to get it just like he had it in the free version.

jasonskills

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2009
Is there a way to enable the same dock across all Mission Control desktops? Also, did he release the updated free black dock for 10.8.4 yet?

Omek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Is there a way to enable the same dock across all Mission Control desktops? Also, did he release the updated free black dock for 10.8.4 yet?

Not sure about multiple Mission Control desktops...

He hasn't released the free version black dock update yet. He said he's going to eventually though. He was posting updates in the UI forum here, but Macrumors closed the thread, because they said it was no longer a UI discussion and was more of an app subject now.

benjamin831

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
Sorry for bringing this up again. But do any of you use a rMBP. If so, do you find the DockMod themed dock fuzzy?

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
All I want is the black dock that used to be available via the terminal commands, but at the same time, I want to support the developer given the time he's put in. Having said that, I don't want to have to mess around w/ various settings just to get that same black dock. Guess I'll wait to see how development plays out. I HATE the default dock in 10.8.4

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
All I want is the black dock that used to be available via the terminal commands, but at the same time, I want to support the developer given the time he's put in. Having said that, I don't want to have to mess around w/ various settings just to get that same black dock. Guess I'll wait to see how development plays out. I HATE the default dock in 10.8.4

The link below is a black menubar mod which incorporates the original black dock binary hack from Usanity77, seems to work a treat for me on 10.8.4 and looks a damn slight better than the default ML Dock.

http://browse.deviantart.com/art/LevantinLynx-aka-Nyx-10-8-10-8-4-ML-menu-bar-317208975

I would also recommend using something along the lines of Istat for the date and time, if you choose to go down this route as it looks far better. Also remember to log out and log back in again after installation.

EDIT heres a quick pic of my desktop with the black Dock mod above in 10.8.4 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41388906/Screen Shot 2013-06-15 at 22.00.33.jpg

Last edited:

Vandal.

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Berlin, Germany
FYI, that Nyx theme messed up a few other mods/hacks upon uninstallation and does look a little dodgy overall (having to repair permissions after install, getting rid of date and time in menubar and requiring additional software/hacks to display menubar items).

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
FYI, that Nyx theme messed up a few other mods/hacks upon uninstallation and does look a little dodgy overall (having to repair permissions after install, getting rid of date and time in menubar and requiring additional software/hacks to display menubar items).

Hi, Did you use the uninstaller pkg included in the dmg download. If so, once you have logged out and logged back in again, you shouldn't have any problems with menubar items and shouldn't need any additional mods/ hacks. Repairing permissions in disk utility is always recommended after installing any mod, as to stop the system slowing down and causing other problems later on. If you're still having issues, contact the dev through deviant art or through his site (Link can be found on the mod page I posted above.)

jasonskills

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2009
@madmacfan, that works fine and is what I'm using now. (I backed up sartfile and artfile.bin before installing, then replaced them after the installation and reinstalled obsidian menubar to retain the obsidian menubar icons) But the problem is it doesn't remove dock reflections, which the previous tool did.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
@madmacfan, that works fine and is what I'm using now. (I backed up sartfile and artfile.bin before installing, then replaced them after the installation and reinstalled obsidian menubar to retain the obsidian menubar icons) But the problem is it doesn't remove dock reflections, which the previous tool did.

Yh, I haven't quite worked out how to remove or alter the dock reflections, cos the terminal commands that worked in 10.8.3 don't work in 10.8.4, but this is better than that awful default dock shipped with ML. I did try modding the original GUI usanity77 put together, to work with 10.8.4, but got nothing but kernel panics, so thats a definite no go right now. I've heard from other members that Usanity77 plans to release a free black only dock mod program at some point, So it looks like people will have to wait until this is released, to adjust their dock reflections.

Last edited:

Omek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
I hope he releases the free black dock soon...my eyeballs are about shot from staring at this glaring monstrosity...ugh. Why doesn't Apple just add a preference option to make it black? It seems like the easiest feature to add.

I would just buy the app, but I really don't want to make my dock that fancy. I just want it black.

benjamin831

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
I do and it doesn't look fuzzy to me tbh. Can you post a screenshot?

Here's a screenshot of my dock after editing it with the DockMod app. As you can see, the edges look kinda blurring, looking like it is not optimized for retina resolution.

Attachments

• dock.png
    dock.png
    615.1 KB · Views: 449

Vandal.

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Berlin, Germany
Here's a screenshot of my dock after editing it with the DockMod app. As you can see, the edges look kinda blurring, looking like it is not optimized for retina resolution.

Yours does look a little funny, looking at mine now it is a little bit blurry as well, but not as bad as yours:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 21.34.28.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 21.34.28.png
    362.2 KB · Views: 349
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.