Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekduster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Hi there!

First time caller long time listener - so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section or a repeat thread.

I'm looking to upgrade my iPhone 6 tomorrow to either a 6s or 7, but am worried about the headphone adapter being a nuisance on the 7, as I use my wired Shure headphones daily on my commute. I guess I'm asking what the general consensus is on this, and if anyone has any recommendations? Also wondering how long Apple will support the 6s.

Thanks so much!

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Hi there!

First time caller long time listener - so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section or a repeat thread.

I'm looking to upgrade my iPhone 6 tomorrow to either a 6s or 7, but am worried about the headphone adapter being a nuisance on the 7, as I use my wired Shure headphones daily on my commute. I guess I'm asking what the general consensus is on this, and if anyone has any recommendations? Also wondering how long Apple will support the 6s.

Thanks so much!
Unless your constantly charging and using your headphones at the same time, you should get the 7 and simply attach the dongle to your headphones and keep it there.

derekduster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Unless your constantly charging and using your headphones at the same time, you should get the 7 and simply attach the dongle to your headphones and keep it there.

thanks so much! I hardly listen to music while charging so that wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
7 all day. I came from a 6 and the battery life has been a difference maker. I can’t really comment on the headphone adapter because I use AirPods, but I wouldn’t have a problem using the adapter if I had to.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The 6s will be supported just as long as the 2017 iPad. Same exact specs.. Actually, it has a much smaller screen to drive so it sould handle updates better than the 2017 iPad

SJTrance

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I have a custom molded in ear monitors that I listen to every day and I just changed from the 6 to the X. I thought I would hate the dongle but it wasn’t so bad. I just keep the dongle attached to the headphones and I don’t think about it at all.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Generally, always buy the newer one because it'll buy you another year of support. Yeah, loss of the headphone jack sucked but they added water resistance and better speakers. The processor is one year newer which will be why it is supported one year longer.

I use 3.5mm headphones too. Dongle is always attached to them so they won't get lost. It's not a huge deal. I can see how it could be to people who use the same headphones on multiple devices or who charge and listen at the same time frequently. I assume this is not a large group of people, but who knows. The 7 is 20% more, and I don't know if those changes are 20% better to you.

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
I’d say get the 6s, the 7 has no real noticeable improvements besides water resistance, the camera is actually worse than the 6s in non ideal lighting conditions (much more grainy, less detailed).

Reactions: iJustiney

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I say the 7. I’ve had them all since the 4, and the 7 was my favorite, up until I got the X.

iJustiney

Suspended
Nov 15, 2017
Hi there!

Thanks so much!

Basically the same phone. The 6S is future proof , a power house, and cheaper.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
I’d go with the 7.

Ps - “long time listener first time caller”...do we have another Adam Carolla fan in the house?! :cool:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t think the term “future proof” can be used to describe an iPhone. Or any smartphone, really.

Agreed. In the world of tech, there is no such thing as future proofing. Once a new product releases, it's already being superseded by something else in development or for annual release.

Acrophobiax

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2017
Hi there!

Thanks so much!
Hi, i recently upgraded from the iPhone 6 (not 6s) to the iPhone 8. The iPhone 8 is an amazing and beautiful device. The A11 Bionic chip just shreds through app loading times and boot up time and other processes. The camera was a HUGE leap forward from the 6. If i were you i would get the 7 because it would be the better upgrade. I see you are concerned about the headphone jack and charging. I had that realization yesterday when i couldn’t listen to music and charge my phone at the same time but it didn’t really necessary bother me. There is a split adapter for charging and headphone jack very inexpensive on Amazon for 12-13 dollars. I’m not sure if they are MFI certified but if you really want to charge and use headphones at the same time i’d spend a couple more bucks on a the trusted Anker split adapter. The iPhone 7 has a great camera with a wider aperture and improved sensor great for low light photos unlike the 6 and 6s. The A10 Fusion chip is still a blazing fast chip, if you go with the 7 Plus you get an extra gig of RAM and the dual lens camera, don’t forgot about the bigger screen haha. But to wrap up. I’d say to go with the 7, but if your budget is really tight it’s totally ok to go with the 6s, it’s still a speedy phone even on iOS 11 thanks to the good A9 chip and it’s 2GBs of RAM. I hope you come to a great conclusion! Good luck on the upgrade!

Reactions: Fernandez21
Yeah I really wouldn’t recommend upgrading a 3 year old iPhone with a 2 year old iphone. Seems kinda silly. Definitely recommend the 7 or the 8 if you can affor it...

I also have a 6 (but a plus), and I’ve convinced myself that I was going to hold off on upgrading for 1 more year. But lately my 6 plus, especially on iOS 11, has just become SUCH a pain in the butt. I don’t know if it’s worth it for my well being to struggle with it for another year... sigh I dunno. I’m hoping point upgrades will improve it...

iJustiney

Suspended
Nov 15, 2017
Yeah I really wouldn’t recommend upgrading a 3 year old iPhone with a 2 year old iphone. Seems kinda silly. Definitely recommend the 7 or the 8 if you can affor it...

I also have a 6 (but a plus), and I’ve convinced myself that I was going to hold off on upgrading for 1 more year. But lately my 6 plus, especially on iOS 11, has just become SUCH a pain in the butt. I don’t know if it’s worth it for my well being to struggle with it for another year... sigh I dunno. I’m hoping point upgrades will improve it...

The 6+ was crippled from the beginning with 1gb ram. The 6S+ is like a Ferrari compared to the 6+.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Hi there!

Thanks so much!
Get an 8 since there will be better promos on them. Walmart is offering $300 gift card with purchase of iPhone 8. And att is offering bogo iPhone 8s to. So you could get a damn good deal on an 8 right Now. You can use Walmart cards for just about anything including gas. So it’s basically the same as cash to me. $699-$300 is $399 cheaper then the iPhone 7.

iJustiney

Suspended
Nov 15, 2017
Then just stick with the 6+ for 1 more year and upgrade to the iphone 10+ or 11 whatever they call it.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Why not just jump to the 8?
I would think OP is looking at the Apple $50 gift card offer when buying a 7. Not upgrading myself this year as my 6S still runs fine but if I was on an older model that was getting sluggish I would go for the 7. I still use wired headphones but it's not really a big issue to keep the dongle attached to the headphones cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.