Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
When this was first reported I thought it turned out to be a hoax, but I was cleaning my black macbook yesterday and the coating has definitely come off in a 1 centimeter square space on my battery. The bare plastic actually looks glossier and nicer than the coating, but I'm not about to start peeling away. I got my macbook on day 2 but I haven't been abusing it at all. Did anyone else have a peeling issue and what did apple do about it for you?

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
:eek: Maybe if you let the whole thing chip off you'll have a black iPod-style MacBook!

Take it into your nearest Apple store. Though Apple hasn't officially acknowledged paint chipping, they will fix it. :)

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I think they'll fix it. I remember some guy taking it to the store, and Apple said that it was "unacceptable," and that something was faulty. They replaced it for him.

JurgenWigg

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Baltimore
I have this chipping too, im planning on taking it into an apple store and seeing what's what.

I picked up this macbook on the 14th (of july) and i noticed this stuff peeling of the bottom right hand corner, it's disappointing.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Ew... that does look bad.
...But is it wrong that I'm turned on? :eek:

When you take it in, just make sure you mention that it's "unacceptable" and to remain friendly but firm. From stories I've read, that word and that attitude seem to work the best. ;)

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Nasty.. while that tiny patch in the photo isn't all that bad, it really makes me shudder to think of how it will look after a while...

I rather just have a black case with no matt finish.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I'll do the world a favor and post the pic for the lazies

DSC00821.jpg

plarusa

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
brbubba said:
When this was first reported I thought it turned out to be a hoax, but I was cleaning my black macbook yesterday and the coating has definitely come off in a 1 centimeter square space on my battery. The bare plastic actually looks glossier and nicer than the coating, but I'm not about to start peeling away. I got my macbook on day 2 but I haven't been abusing it at all. Did anyone else have a peeling issue and what did apple do about it for you?
I am not suprised. Several of the black Macbooks at the local store had scratches exposing the underlying white finish. The black paint coating seems very thin, and not designed to last I am affraid.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
plarusa said:
Several of the black Macbooks at the local store had scratches exposing the underlying white finish.

Hi,

I don't remember a white finish but definitely glossy black. This is exactly what I noticed on several of the black macbooks at the apple store in soho. That and the shiny wear that the trackpad and keys were exhibiting were major reasons why I didn't buy it. This was only about 3 weeks after they came out.

Good Luck to all the black macbook owners! It would be terrible if this becomes and issue like the discoloring on the white ones.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Man i'm sorry... that reminds me of an old chrysler we had about 10 years ago. LIttle 4 door silver thing, but after while a little area grew a bubble, that bubble grew to chips like on you MB and eventually the whole hood and trunk looked like they were sanded down...

brbubba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
If I have time I'll drop by the store this weekend. Until then here is the underbelly of my little baby.

Attachments

• CIMG14153.JPG
    CIMG14153.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 604
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.