Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
WHEN will apple learn. Jeeeez. STOP PAINTING your products. Nobody else in the industry has these problems. My ibm thinkpad is black and has been without chipping for 5 yrs now and I treat that like crap.

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
macenforcer said:
WHEN will apple learn. Jeeeez. STOP PAINTING your products. Nobody else in the industry has these problems. My ibm thinkpad is black and has been without chipping for 5 yrs now and I treat that like crap.

The same experience with IBM. Those Apple problems seem to be quite strange and in a way it is like a joke.

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
it seems that it is a very rare case with blackbook; however, I thought that apple laptops are really super durable (like ibm).. im planning to switch to apple (blackbook) soon and i am a bit afraid. I dont care about my 2 ibm laptops too much and still they look great...hmm..

brbubba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
mikesk8 said:
it seems that it is a very rare case with blackbook; however, I thought that apple laptops are really super durable (like ibm).. im planning to switch to apple (blackbook) soon and i am a bit afraid. I dont care about my 2 ibm laptops too much and still they look great...hmm..

It was just the coating on the battery that was poor quality. They were probably assembling the two components at different factories and were screwing it up at the one. I can tell you from experience the body coating is very hard to remove. Sharp objects against it will scratch it, but to actually make the paint peel is impossible.

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
brbubba said:
It was just the coating on the battery that was poor quality. They were probably assembling the two components at different factories and were screwing it up at the one. I can tell you from experience the body coating is very hard to remove. Sharp objects against it will scratch it, but to actually make the paint peel is impossible.

Hopefully, you are right. Apple seems to have a bit too many quality issues recently. Maybe revB is a good option here.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Gosh said:
I guess he didn't actually want a shiny one - it just turned out that way but if that's what your heart desires it's do-able!

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/select_mb_white.aspx?configid=1225

My thread above is asking if anyone has tried this process and also if Apple use this process on the black MB.

Nope I wanted a shiny one. ;)

I'm just not done yet. The bottom is polished, the top is about 75% stripped. This is a painstaking process which I would not recommend to anyone. In addition, its becoming almost impossible to remove all the scratches leaving it with a well used shiny look. Depending on how well the top comes out I may still use a high quality automotive paint with a clear coat to paint the sucker. One can should do the job, but using a can is less than ideal, but I'm not about to drop $80 for a pint of the stuff, not including clearcoat.

I've never used colorware products but the pics they have are leaving me very unimpressed. Also the premium is absurd for the Macbook. For a lot less money you could disassemble the macbook and take the shell to an automotive shop, which would probably result in a much higher quality color/finish, not to mention you wouldn't be limited in your color choices.

adagiominore

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
brbubba is right. I bought mine at an actual Apple Store in June and I have no peeling or scratches whatsoever. The only problem I have is that my finger prints are allover it an I can't get them off. Anybody know what to clean it with?

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
adagiominore said:
brbubba is right. I bought mine at an actual Apple Store in June and I have no peeling or scratches whatsoever. The only problem I have is that my finger prints are allover it an I can't get them off. Anybody know what to clean it with?

iklear got my fingerprints off my macbook pro... different material... but it worked.

*shrug*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.