Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I'm down with Intell

Rule #1 Never mess with flashing of a firmware, even if it's preparing and verifying to flash in this case.

Chris1W

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
The problem with the above approach is if you're connected to another network with decent internet speed on long period, which you don't have control (ex: office network)

I allowed my free space goes to 2.7GB (was 2.2GB for the last few days), and found out that today my luck ran out: during lunch my ipad downloaded the software update, extracted it, and now I lost 1.8GB of free space :(

So it's not 3.1 GB in my case like the one post on the previous page, yeah better stuff your device with unnecessary large apps to keep your free space below 752 MB, and delete those apps when you need the space, rather have a 1.8 GB unreclaimable space (unless you erase all contents and settings, which I'm too lazy too do)

Last edited:

Sonicmojo

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
I think the problem is if you restore a backup from when an update has already been searched for and found, then that info will be restored, too. It happened when I restored from iTunes.

This is what I am seeing now as well. I took a backup via iTunes this morning and set about to Erase all Content and Settings...and then completed the first few steps of iPad Setup - including the unsuspecting WIFI step (which readies the device for an OTA update)

Then of course - when it prompts you for how you want to setup this new device - as soon as you select Restore From iTunes - and CONNECT the USB cable - there's your power source now coupled with the wiFI step a few moments ago - starts the cycle anew and the update start downloading in the background.

But even with url blocking (I made sure that mesu.apple.com was totally blocked before starting my restore) the restored backup via iTunes either knew about the update and started it as part of the restore OR the combo of wifi and power source restarted it. I also noticed 314MB in "Other" before I managed to jam the wifi OFF during the iTunes restore.

As soon as the Restore completed - I still had a "1" Badge on my Settings icon and an error appears when pressing Software Update...router block is obviously working.

I think the only way to truly wipe this thing is to do a full Reset (with no iTunes restore - which I may have to do now AND then take a clean backup.

What a complete PITA this is....

Sonic.

Sonicmojo

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
I wonder if the itunes doesn't backup the downloaded update as well.

I scanned all my local drives - the file is not backed up...at least not with 11.0.4.4. I do believe something (Flag, marker etc) telling the system to GO and get the update is backed up. And then is fired up as soon as a restore is done.

I can confirm that blocking that addy is working. But now I just want to blast this POS update off of here and get all my space back with no traces - including that dickish "badge" hollering "1" update is available.

Why do people like Apple again? I must be honest - Microsoft or any number of high profile companies I use for other things have never ever forced crap onto my machine before. Even "critical" things like Windows Service Packs are never forced. A guy could run as is for years if he wanted to.

Sonic

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Why do people like Apple again? I must be honest - Microsoft or any number of high profile companies I use for other things have never ever forced crap onto my machine before. Even "critical" things like Windows Service Packs are never forced. A guy could run as is for years if he wanted to.

Sonic

Starting with Windows 8, critical updates are forced.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Have no plans to run 8 now or in the future - so I think I am good :)

Sonic.

You may not run Windows 8, but you'll be forced to use it or something after in in the future. Don't forget, even iOS has forced OTA updates, Apple has never forced the update yet. Only presented the end user with the option to update.

Sonicmojo

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
Don't forget, even iOS has forced OTA updates, Apple has never forced the update yet. Only presented the end user with the option to update.

Oh it's more than an "option" if there is a 2.9GB file sitting on my device that I never asked for. A total ******* move if I ever saw one.

And don't get me wrong - I do intend to go to iOS7 someday - but I will do it on my own time and when I feel the update is good enough to actually use.

Sonic

zBoost

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
I think it downloads when connected to iTunes via the usb cable. I have set wireless sync with iTunes so I use the usb only to charge with. So it didn't download anything OTA 1 week prior to blocking the domain.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think it downloads when connected to iTunes via the usb cable. I have set wireless sync with iTunes so I use the usb only to charge with. So it didn't download anything OTA 1 week prior to blocking the domain.

iTunes doesn't have the ability to download the OTA update to the iDevice. Nor does it have the ability to write to or see the directory where the OTA update is stored.

zBoost

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
iTunes doesn't have the ability to download the OTA update to the iDevice. Nor does it have the ability to write to or see the directory where the OTA update is stored.

I'm not saying iTunes does it, I just say it happens then.

zBoost

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
I just noticed 859,4MB in "other". Is that the OTA update or it should be larger? :confused:
And if it is why is no bubble in settings?

Last edited:

Sonicmojo

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
I just noticed 859,4MB in "other". Is that the OTA update or it should be larger? :confused:

If you go to Settings->Software Update...what does it say? If you have no "1" badge on the Settings icon - I would say you are clean (for now)

Sonic

----------

It downloads when using the USB cable (as hard power) and your WIFI is on. iTunes just happens to be in the mix. If WIFI is on and the device is plugged into hard power - the download will commence...

Sonic.

zBoost

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Blocking OTA download through router.

Well it says download and install when I look through 3G. Otherwise it's blocked in the router. Maybe that's app cache and storage space dunno.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

That doesn't sound the like the size of the OTA download. More like your standard other size.

Well it says download and install when I look through 3G. Otherwise it's blocked in the router. Maybe that's app cache and storage space dunno.

Some carriers allow the OTA updates to be downloaded over cellular. Most that do, maybe all, have a maximum size limit to the download. If it is under that size, it'll download it. If not, it'll only get the XML and prompt to be connected to WiFi to finish the OTA update.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Blocking OTA Download is done correctly:

I was messing around tonight in settings, just for fun I've hit "Learn More" from the Limit Ad Tracking page and it tried to connect to Apple's server to grab that help page.

620980_10151906919418908_1607910469_o.jpg

Thanks for all the help everyone.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Same with my GF's IP4S which gets it from time to time, even after we resync it from erasing it.

It was not connected through WiFi at the time either.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
This also blocks the download of iOS's dictionary on a fresh device.

iOS doesn't download a dictionary. It comes with the IPSW. The only thing mesu.apple.com blocks is the OTA updates. If you block applednl.apple.com you can prevent or block a large amount of Apple downloads and blocking that subdomain is not recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.