Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonobo

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Germany
I also think it could be a blogging app. English is not my mother tongue, but the first thought that crossed my mind was:

Blot = blog + jot

Cheers, Tom

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Folowing with the blogging frame of mind. I think this "blot" app will most likely be part of an updated .Mac service for blogging. It would make perfect sense if your .Mac homepage had a blog on it. When you think about it, it's so Apple. ;)

bryanc

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2003
Fredericton, NB Canada
sounds like a global replacement to me

I suspect someone did a global find <something_interesting> and replace with <Blot> here.

However, I would also be very interested in an Apple blogging application (.Mac integrated or otherwise).

That being said, what would any/all of you recommend as a really simple blogging set up? My mom, who is semi-computer-literate, is going on an extended (8 month) business trip to Sri Lanka, and I suggested she start a blog so we can see what she's doing. To my surprise, she agreed and asked me how. Unfortunately, I know basically nothing about blogging. She'll have her PowerBook, iPod (with audio recorder), and digital camera (all purchased in the last month, so she's on a challenging learning curve). In principle, she should be able to upload her day's recordings, pictures, type a little text, and press a button to upload it to her .Mac account where we'll all be able to see it and write in the comments section. If she gives us her .Mac password, we'll also be able to upload pictures of her grandson and other things she might want, right?

Any suggestions for software I should look at for her?

Cheers

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Tiger Server has a blogging server included... Tiger retail doesn't I don't think. (Yeah, I don't like it either).

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Daveway said:
Folowing with the blogging frame of mind. I think this "blot" app will most likely be part of an updated .Mac service for blogging. It would make perfect sense if your .Mac homepage had a blog on it. When you think about it, it's so Apple. ;)
Hmm... I've been thinking about the blog angle and the fact that Apple mentions you can save an HTML page out of Pages and post that to your .Mac Homepage – how about Blot being a service like Homepage that allows you to post your Pages generated blog to your .Mac account? It sounds like 'blog' and as others have mentioned it ties in nicely with the Pages ink pot icon!

Just pure conjecture, of course.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
I know little enough about blogging that I am not the best to reply here, but here goes. It might make more sense to select a blogging site before you select your software. If she is going to post her entries on .Mac, then I think some time ago there was a free older version of iBlog that you could download from .Mac and that worked only with .Mac. She could compose on the Mac and upload with a click -- maybe a good choice.

There are lots of sites that for free or for not much offer a number of ways to update your blog. Many of them have Web interfaces, so your mom wouldnt need any software at all. Many of them also have published APIs, so there are various pieces of client software that offer enhanced or easier blog updates. Some sites to look at are http://www.livejournal.com and http://www.blogspot.com -- I think there are lots more.

Good luck!

Crikey

bryanc said:
I suspect someone did a global find <something_interesting> and replace with <Blot> here.

However, I would also be very interested in an Apple blogging application (.Mac integrated or otherwise).

That being said, what would any/all of you recommend as a really simple blogging set up? My mom, who is semi-computer-literate, is going on an extended (8 month) business trip to Sri Lanka, and I suggested she start a blog so we can see what she's doing. To my surprise, she agreed and asked me how. Unfortunately, I know basically nothing about blogging. She'll have her PowerBook, iPod (with audio recorder), and digital camera (all purchased in the last month, so she's on a challenging learning curve). In principle, she should be able to upload her day's recordings, pictures, type a little text, and press a button to upload it to her .Mac account where we'll all be able to see it and write in the comments section. If she gives us her .Mac password, we'll also be able to upload pictures of her grandson and other things she might want, right?

Any suggestions for software I should look at for her?

Cheers

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Daveway said:
I think you nailed it.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
A .mac blogging app seems to make a lot of sense to me too.
With Apple working on Backup 3, it seems that they are getting ready to pull a (much needed) revamp to the service. With Microsoft's push for MSN Spaces, perhaps this is Apple's retaliation?
Ok, and [off topic] stop ganging up on Pages you guys - once you get used to it the app really isn't that bad. Very 1.0ish (or rather, 1.0.1ish), but about a gazillion times better than Word is when it comes to making photo-filled, colourful pages that don't need tables so complicated I feel like I'm using HTML, and its also about a gazillion times cheaper than InDesign. For me, it's a great (quirky) app.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Mr. Anderson said:
Maybe its a blogging robot of sorts....something that automates bloging?

Blog + Bot = Blot

and it would probably be a .Mac feature - but if its simple to use, I hope they make it work without .Mac

D
That's what I thought myself, who knows, it could be a blogging app, but knowing Apple it would probably be .Mac only, but people will find a way to make it work on their website or with blogger.com, it could be something totally different than that though

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
azdude said:
Perfect! This "Blot" application must be the Apple-internal codename for Pages then... you can't tell me they don't know how bad Pages sucks.

Without a doubt, the Funniest Post of the Day®

bob_the_gorilla

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2004
Derby, UK
BWhaler said:
Without a doubt, the Funniest Post of the Day®

Sounds like you've had a good day.

Blogging software would be cool, but I rather suspect it's the name of a currently-included technology that we just haven't heard before. Note that it's connected with Mail each time.

dstoleson

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
Blot is an example app.

Blot is an example app that exercises the WebKit. It is shipped with the dev tools.

All rumors are now null and void . . .

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
azdude said:
Perfect! This "Blot" application must be the Apple-internal codename for Pages then... you can't tell me they don't know how bad Pages sucks.

Actually, it's not that bad. "Word" is the best name possible, but we already know who took that. And how is "Pages" that far off from PageMaker (which is now defunct anyway)? DreamWeaver is a brilliant name, as is Acrobat. I've heard people say Safari is a terrible name, but I really, really like it. It's catchy and suggests adventure and exploration.. which brings us to Explorer, which has such a negative appeal to it, unfortunately.

Alternatives for Pages:
- "Blot" may definitely have been one
- Layout
- Canvas
- Ink (conflicts with Inkwell)
- Stylus
- Typewriter (just kidding)
- Composer
- Typeseamstress
- Flowbee (spelling bee?)

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
If Pages had been a 100% word processor, "Plot" or "Thesis" (suggested by another Macrumors member) would have been the best names possible in my opinion.
But with it's design influences, I'd gear towards "Stencil", because it basically lets you "trace" from Apple-designed templets, but a stencil can also be used to trace letters.
And anyways, the comments about Pages sucking weren't in reference to its name, but the actual app (which I disagree with, but whatever).

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I have Blot. It's inclduded with the Tiger developer tools, and has been included with it since the WWDC Tiger build -

Blot is a very simple WYSIWYG HTML editor using WebKit. It has no controls for adding in elements and such; images are added in by dragging them from the Finder. Visual font control also seems to work. It works quite well for what it does do, though.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
iindigo said:
I have Blot. It's inclduded with the Tiger developer tools, and has been included with it since the WWDC Tiger build -

Blot is a very simple WYSIWYG HTML editor using WebKit. It has no controls for adding in elements and such; images are added in by dragging them from the Finder. Visual font control also seems to work. It works quite well for what it does do, though.

there you go...

thanks for the info.

arn

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Because I'm looking for an HTML editor for the Mac that works nicely...

See where I'm going?

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Hmmm... a Cocoa-based WYSIWYG html editor? Even if it's a demonstration app, it shows that WebCore may now have the potential to facilitate a full-featured app that could compete on Dreamweaver's level. (Tho someone's gotta build it first ;)).

nms

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2004
London
dolphin842 said:
Hmmm... a Cocoa-based WYSIWYG html editor? Even if it's a demonstration app, it shows that WebCore may now have the potential to facilitate a full-featured app that could compete on Dreamweaver's level. (Tho someone's gotta build it first ;)).

Maybe the Adobe takeover has helped Apple now, they can concentrate on building a DreamWeaver type app competetively...and what with the possibilty of Adobe having to sell some of there DP stuff due to antitrust...just hypotheses though...

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Funny, after my post yesterday I found out about this new app today:

http://www.goodpage.info/

From the screenshots it looks rather attracting; I may tinker with the trial. Not as full featured as Dreamweaver by any stretch of the imagination, but it looks better than some of the other no-frills editors out there.

nms

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2004
London
dolphin842 said:
Funny, after my post yesterday I found out about this new app today:

http://www.goodpage.info/

From the screenshots it looks rather attracting; I may tinker with the trial. Not as full featured as Dreamweaver by any stretch of the imagination, but it looks better than some of the other no-frills editors out there.

hmmm.....but does it use this new feature...?

and apple really do need to make a decent webapp. that's NOT only for .mac.....

bah.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
nms said:
hmmm.....but does it use this new feature...?

and apple really do need to make a decent webapp. that's NOT only for .mac.....

bah.

As far as I can tell, no it doesn't. It's not a WYSIWYG editor, but merely a source editor.

I'm considering starting an open-source webkit HTML editor once Tiger's released... I wonder how much help I'll get -

nms

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2004
London
iindigo said:
As far as I can tell, no it doesn't. It's not a WYSIWYG editor, but merely a source editor.

I'm considering starting an open-source webkit HTML editor once Tiger's released... I wonder how much help I'll get -

purely for editing purposes or a vaguely easy-to-use thing?

i'll support you all the way, i'd love to help, but i suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.