Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
For the pictures posted, it's all autofocus. At these distances, everything should be hyperfocal anyway. I have done tap to focus with the same results; the right lower corner is always more blurry than the rest.

Even shooting a subject where the entire frame is at infinity (like a mountain range with no foreground subject), that side is still consistently blurry.

I'll post an update once I do some testing with my wife's new 14 Pro.
Hmmm ok. I’d like to see the results. My wife just got hers and my mom received hers today, I’ll be going to see her this weekend, so I guess I’ll check hers as well.

climber2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Below is a comparison between my iPhone 14 Pro (shown 1st) and my wife's iPhone 14 Pro (shown 2nd) that just arrived a few days ago. The full photos are followed by crops of the right lower corner.

My camera is clearly defective. I'll be sending it back to Apple for repair or replacement.

My 14 Pro:
IMG_3402.jpeg

Wife's 14 Pro:
IMG_1660.jpeg

My 14 Pro corner crop:
IMG_3402 crop.jpg

Wife's 14 Pro corner crop:
IMG_1660 crop.jpg

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Below is a comparison between my iPhone 14 Pro (shown 1st) and my wife's iPhone 14 Pro (shown 2nd) that just arrived a few days ago. The full photos are followed by crops of the right lower corner.

My camera is clearly defective. I'll be sending it back to Apple for repair or replacement.

My 14 Pro:
View attachment 2128781

Wife's 14 Pro:
View attachment 2128782

My 14 Pro corner crop:
View attachment 2128784

Wife's 14 Pro corner crop:
View attachment 2128787
But the upper right corner from your wife’s is more blurry than yours. I think it’s just the quality we can expect from apple which charges us 2k plus for a phone. 💁🏻‍♂️

climber2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
But the upper right corner from your wife’s is more blurry than yours. I think it’s just the quality we can expect from apple which charges us 2k plus for a phone. 💁🏻‍♂️
Here are crops of the upper right corners. Mine 1st, hers 2nd. Other than a small difference in exposure, they look about the same to me.

IMG_3402.jpeg

IMG_1660.jpeg

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Yeah well… Apple doesn’t make the camera. I believe Sony does. None on the iPhone models cost more that 2k. $9999 & $1099 for the low memory. Unless you go to the extreme like me and buy two 14 pro max 1TB iPhones in Gold.

The camera could have a de-centering issue where the sensor or the optics may not be precisely centered. Hard iPhone drops on pavement can knock the camera out of alignment as well. I read where a lot of you on this forum go Ceaseless. You drop your naked iPhone… well it sucks to be you. I’m guessing none of you tried shooting a photo while the phone was on a tripod? Just hand holding it and possibly pushing the shutter button to fast and hard like it’s a physical button and shaking the iPhone semi violently?

climber2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
I’m guessing none of you tried shooting a photo while the phone was on a tripod? Just hand holding it and possibly pushing the shutter button to fast and hard like it’s a physical button and shaking the iPhone semi violently?

The photos above were shot at a shutter speed of around 1/1000. With this shutter speed and a 24 mm equivalent field of view, a tripod wouldn't make any difference unless the person was intentionally trying to make a blurry picture; even then, it wouldn't explain the lack of consistency between 2 of the same exact phone.

I think it's a quality control issue. My 14 Pro is already on an airplane back to Apple. Hopefully the replacement will be better. I'll post an update once I get it back.

Reactions: ToddH

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Yeah well… Apple doesn’t make the camera. I believe Sony does. None on the iPhone models cost more that 2k. $9999 & $1099 for the low memory. Unless you go to the extreme like me and buy two 14 pro max 1TB iPhones in Gold.

The camera could have a de-centering issue where the sensor or the optics may not be precisely centered. Hard iPhone drops on pavement can knock the camera out of alignment as well. I read where a lot of you on this forum go Ceaseless. You drop your naked iPhone… well it sucks to be you. I’m guessing none of you tried shooting a photo while the phone was on a tripod? Just hand holding it and possibly pushing the shutter button to fast and hard like it’s a physical button and shaking the iPhone semi violently?
I paid 2099 Euros which is ca. 2200 USD for 1TB 14 PM. So for me it’s a 2k+ phone. Will keep it for a long time. But I am still aware that it’s not a perfect cam.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I paid 2099 Euros which is ca. 2200 USD for 1TB 14 PM. So for me it’s a 2k+ phone. Will keep it for a long time. But I am still aware that it’s not a perfect cam.
It is best when ProRaw is used. Maybe not perfect, but my iPhone 14 pro max iPhones have nearly replaced my Sony dslr cameras. That’s how good they are in the hands of a professional photographer.

Reactions: RRC and Torty

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
What are picture files sizes compared to other models? Considering HEIC in all cases.
I just found with my regular iPhone 14 that file size of same scene picture is twice less than with iPhone 13.
Either camera fails to catch details, or compression algorithm is too aggressive. Or both things at once.

climber2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
What are picture files sizes compared to other models? Considering HEIC in all cases.
I just found with my regular iPhone 14 that file size of same scene picture is twice less than with iPhone 13.
Either camera fails to catch details, or compression algorithm is too aggressive. Or both things at once.
It's pretty similar. The file sizes from my 14 Pro are about the same as my previous 12 Mini.

climber2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
It is best when ProRaw is used. Maybe not perfect, but my iPhone 14 pro max iPhones have nearly replaced my Sony dslr cameras. That’s how good they are in the hands of a professional photographer.
Yeah, ProRAW is awesome except for the massive file sizes and slow shot-to-shot time. I've found that using a 3rd party app to shoot 48 MP HEIC (I use Halide) is a good compromise. You get all the detail at a reasonable 10 to 15 MB per photo instead of 80 MB. Wish Apple would provide an option in a future software update to shoot a full 48 MP HEIC.

Reactions: RRC

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Yeah, ProRAW is awesome except for the massive file sizes and slow shot-to-shot time. I've found that using a 3rd party app to shoot 48 MP HEIC (I use Halide) is a good compromise. You get all the detail at a reasonable 10 to 15 MB per photo instead of 80 MB. Wish Apple would provide an option in a future software update to shoot a full 48 MP HEIC.
True. I have Halide & ProCamera which offers the same options. However the ProRAW is fine for me as I have the 1TB iPhones. I shoot a lot of photos…

climber2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Quick update: mailed my phone to Apple repair. They are sending the phone back without any changes because they were "unable to duplicate issue".

Looks like I'll have to physically take the phone & some sample prints to an Apple Store next time I'm near one. Will likely wait until the supply chain issues improve more.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Quick update: mailed my phone to Apple repair. They are sending the phone back without any changes because they were "unable to duplicate issue".

Looks like I'll have to physically take the phone & some sample prints to an Apple Store next time I'm near one. Will likely wait until the supply chain issues improve more.
Wow.. looks like they didn’t try hard enough. The supply chain of iPhones should not matter, the Apple stores always have repair and replacement stock for damaged or warranty products. Unless they have told you otherwise. The replacement iPhone (if they replace it) is in a generic box. It’s a new unit, but it’s not in A resale package.

Dragonheart192

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
Hi there! I recently got an iphone 14 pro and I am experiencing the same issue. An out of cous right corner and a slightly less one on the left. By turning the camera upside-down the bottom parts are better so there is a consistent blurry corner on the right. Any update on your phone? I am contemplating if this is a common thing and if returning it’s worth it.

Last edited:

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Hi there! I recently got an iphone 14 pro and I am experiencing the same issue. An out of cous right corner and a slightly less one on the left. By turning the camera upside-down the bottom parts are better so there is a consistent blurry corner on the right. Any update on your phone? I am contemplating if this is a common thing and if returning it’s worth it.
Well there is always some coma from the optics in the corners of all lenses, including those of DSLR’s. Only the Zeiss optics nave no coma. Also remember that the sensor in the new iPhone reduces motion via IBIS. Sensor shift image stabilization. So the sensor moves under the optics and at some point, the sensor could move further in one direction and pick up lens distortion from the optics. My iPhone 14 pro max (I have two) are similar optically. At times there is some distortion (depending on how much you shake during a photo). Put the iPhone on a tripod and use your Apple Watch (if you have one) to trigger the shutter and then inspect the photo. Level the iPhone and shoot a photo of a brick wall or chain link fence. And it also possible that the sensor may not be perfectly centered under the optics. So are these tests in 12mp or 48mp mode?

Dragonheart192

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
Well there is always some coma from the optics in the corners of all lenses, including those of DSLR’s. Only the Zeiss optics nave no coma. Also remember that the sensor in the new iPhone reduces motion via IBIS. Sensor shift image stabilization. So the sensor moves under the optics and at some point, the sensor could move further in one direction and pick up lens distortion from the optics. My iPhone 14 pro max (I have two) are similar optically. At times there is some distortion (depending on how much you shake during a photo). Put the iPhone on a tripod and use your Apple Watch (if you have one) to trigger the shutter and then inspect the photo. Level the iPhone and shoot a photo of a brick wall or chain link fence. And it also possible that the sensor may not be perfectly centered under the optics. So are these tests in 12mp or 48mp mode?
I have done them in 48 mp. I have seen even reviews with the same problem in their photo samples, that’s why I wonder if it’s just a characteristic of the lens. The thing is it’s that it’s consistent. It’ always on the lower bottom.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I have done them in 48 mp. I have seen even reviews with the same problem in their photo samples, that’s why I wonder if it’s just a characteristic of the lens. The thing is it’s that it’s consistent. It’ always on the lower bottom.
Ok. I’ll test mine again tomorrow. So do you touch to focus or let the camera focus on its own? I’d be curious if you got the same results by touching to focus in the center of the frame, then checking all corners after the photo is taken. Then take another picture without touching to focus.

Dragonheart192

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
Ok. I’ll test mine again tomorrow. So do you touch to focus or let the camera focus on its own? I’d be curious if you got the same results by touching to focus in the center of the frame, then checking all corners after the photo is taken. Then take another picture without touching to focus.
This is the best example that show the right corner once with the phone in the “normal” position and upside diwn after.
IMG_0509.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0510.jpeg
    IMG_0510.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
This is the best example that show the right corner once with the phone in the “normal” position and upside diwn after. View attachment 2187236

That’s a bit blurry. There appears to be a problem with the optics. Have you contacted Apple to get a camera replacement? My corners are somewhat distorted but mine is considered normal. Your corners are bad enough to where I’d request a replacement..

My sample and heavy crops of the lower left & right corners.

IMG_0782.jpeg

Left corner
IMG_0780.png

Right corner

IMG_0781.png

Reactions: Dragonheart192

Dragonheart192

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
That’s a bit blurry. There appears to be a problem with the optics. Have you contacted Apple to get a camera replacement? My corners are somewhat distorted but mine is considered normal. Your corners are bad enough to where I’d request a replacement..

My sample and heavy crops of the lower left & right corners.

View attachment 2188230

Left corner
View attachment 2188232

Right corner

View attachment 2188231
Thank you very much for taking the time. I really appreciate it. My samples are actually portrait crops of a landscape photo so basically my corner corresponds to your left corner wich seems more blurrier on your photo also. Also your top left corner seems blurry too but I can’t figure if it is from the wind. Can you please shoot another picture in landscape mode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.