Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cunir

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2021
I had a blurry corner and it was to do with the leather case I had the phone in. It looked like it left plenty of room around the lens but the case was so thick it still obscured a bit

Dragonheart192

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
I had a blurry corner and it was to do with the leather case I had the phone in. It looked like it left plenty of room around the lens but the case was so thick it still obscured a bit
Took the case off and shoot some samples. Still didn’t improve.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Thank you very much for taking the time. I really appreciate it. My samples are actually portrait crops of a landscape photo so basically my corner corresponds to your left corner wich seems more blurrier on your photo also. Also your top left corner seems blurry too but I can’t figure if it is from the wind. Can you please shoot another picture in landscape mode?
Sure, glad to help.

IMG_0797.jpeg

Left corner
IMG_0799.png

Right corner
IMG_0798.png

Dragonheart192

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Thank you very much. Well, judging by my other samples it does seem that my corners are comparable to yours. Maybe yours a tad better. I am on my return period and I think I will exchange it for peace of mind. The worse thing is that I will get a camera with the same corners. BTW, nice place you got there, very idyllic.
Cool. I hope you get a better camera on the exchange. Because of the larger sensor & fast optics, the corners will show distortion, hopefully the next iPhone you get will be better. As for the photos I took, that is not my land, I wish. It’s a gated community resort called Horseshoe Bay, northwest of Austin Tx. Lots of flowers in the spring. Good luck on the exchange.

Dragonheart192

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
Just to give you an update. I went to a store and played with a 14 Pro and a Pro Max. They were tethered and I tried to test it the best way I can. I focused in the store and took some shots of some text on a paper. I put the focus on the corner and shoot the same samples on mine. They were kinda the same. Same distorsion and softness on the right corner. I even flipped the phone and took the same shots and just like mine the sharpness improved on those phones. So I guess is the optics of these phones. The chance of both those phones to act like mine and be defects are kinda slim so I won't bother sending mine back. I investigated some reviews on the internet which offered samples and they are the same. So maybe there are some almost perfect samples in the wild but I guess these are in the accepted parameters. My original samples were kinda taken in low light and on grass which is already difficult to render so I guess the softness of the lens alongside the blur and the grass rendering made it look worse. Thanks for all the help. I scratched this itch and going to enjoy my iphone 14 pro.

Last edited:

Dragonheart192

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
Guys, plot twist! I decided to return the phone and go for an iPhone 14 Pro Max. I definitely had a decentered lens because on the Pro Max the blurriness is gone. All corners are better, only the lens distorsion is present (which is normal). So don't hesitate to return yours if you feel that you have a decentered lens because there are definitely some decentered camera modules out there that cause unwanted blurriness in some corners. I am beyond pleased now. P.S. I realized that the camera raw processing is very battery consuming and thought of going with a Pro Max for the battery, although I am not fond of larger phones but I honestly like it now and I can tell you that it seems lighter although is heavier. I think it has something with how the weight is distributed.

Reactions: ToddH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.