Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ernestastoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
Hello, I’ve just taken the first couple pictures with my new iPhone X and they’re blurry!

I try to zoom in on the pictures to see how bad they are and they change to high quality.

I guess it’s a rendering issue but it looks really bad until I zoom in slightly and it looks how it should.

Why the heck does this happen? And how do I fix it? Another friend also has this problem with his iphone 6s, the images are blurry, and then you zoom in and then back it change to high quality, but then you reenter to the photos the same problem..

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Hello, I’ve just taken the first couple pictures with my new iPhone X and they’re blurry!

I try to zoom in on the pictures to see how bad they are and they change to high quality.

I guess it’s a rendering issue but it looks really bad until I zoom in slightly and it looks how it should.

Why the heck does this happen? And how do I fix it? Another friend also has this problem with his iphone 6s, the images are blurry, and then you zoom in and then back it change to high quality, but then you reenter to the photos the same problem..

some ideas here

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/weird-thing-in-photos-app.2098527/

Ernestastoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
Thank you, I realy appreciate it :) I think I am going to bring back this phone to the store because it is not the only one problem.. I realy like portrait mode, I am taking pictures every day, and I noticed that one day something wrong happened, because I cant triger any of photos in portrai mode, it is impossible to triger the depth effect in same conditions as I do it before. And after I try reset all settings, It helped me for a short time, this problem apearing every 1-3 days, and I don't have any ideas how to solved it without reset all setings every 3 days, it is realy annoying.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
It’s either the single phone you have or you need to wipe the lens.

The issues you’ve listed on these forums aren’t iPhone X issues. They’re rare, single-phone-defect issues.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
It’s either the single phone you have or you need to wipe the lens.

The issues you’ve listed on these forums aren’t iPhone X issues. They’re rare, single-phone-defect issues.

I was confused by this also. The problem isn't with the camera app. The problem is with the photos app. You can take a photo and it will be very clear. You will open up photos and it will look like it was taken from a 15 year old feature phone. that is until you touch the image to zoom in. At that point the full resolution image will display.

Ernestastoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
It is not hardware problem, I find the solution . There is a photo editing program Enlight in apple store. You just need to open a photo with Enlight and resave it. And Now open your photo library. That's it, you have two photos . Original low resolution, and another one high resolution without zoom. Also if you are using facebook messenger, try to send your picture to someone. After you send it, open it in messenger and bam you can see your high resolution photo without blur effect. It is possible that problem is in stock ios photo app.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
It is not hardware problem, I find the solution . There is a photo editing program Enlight in apple store. You just need to open a photo with Enlight and resave it. And Now open your photo library. That's it, you have two photos . Original low resolution, and another one high resolution without zoom. Also if you are using facebook messenger, try to send your picture to someone. After you send it, open it in messenger and bam you can see your high resolution photo without blur effect. It is possible that problem is in stock ios photo app.
Again. It isn’t an iPhone X problem. Nor is it iOS. It’d a unique problem only you have.

A new iPhone X will solve this. Or a hard reset/reinstall.

Ernestastoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
Again. It isn’t an iPhone X problem. Nor is it iOS. It’d a unique problem only you have.

A new iPhone X will solve this. Or a hard reset/reinstall.
Man you are blind? I am not only one with this problem .. Go to the apple store , take picture and you will see the diference without zoom, and with zoom in

Reactions: macfacts

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Seems like Apple is over optimizing ram/cpu usage for the photos app (iOS bug) and trying not to make other apps refresh/restart.

Obvious solution is add more ram.

Reactions: Vermifuge

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Man you are blind? I am not only one with this problem .. Go to the apple store , take picture and you will see the diference without zoom, and with zoom in
So two people confirmed it. You and the othe forum.

Woooooo.... let’s call this a -gate now....

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Hi guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but did anyone find a solution?

I’ve had every iPhone since the iPhone 4 and never come across this until I received my iPhone XS.
My iPhone X didn’t do this either, but my new XS does.

Tried EVERYTHING, even went to the Apple store and got it swapped out with a new XS and the problem still occurs.

Currently have an ongoing support case going with Apple techs as I’m determined to get it fixed, because it’s driving me nuts.

It’s 100% software related, and maybe a huge coincidence that I’ve now experienced it on two different brand new iPhone XS phones.

bstone100

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018
Hi guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but did anyone find a solution?

I’ve had every iPhone since the iPhone 4 and never come across this until I received my iPhone XS.
My iPhone X didn’t do this either, but my new XS does.

Tried EVERYTHING, even went to the Apple store and got it swapped out with a new XS and the problem still occurs.

Currently have an ongoing support case going with Apple techs as I’m determined to get it fixed, because it’s driving me nuts.

It’s 100% software related, and maybe a huge coincidence that I’ve now experienced it on two different brand new iPhone XS phones.
[doublepost=1541326665][/doublepost]When I first got my iPhone X in December 2017 I had this issue. I went to an apple store and after hours they could not find a solution. Even a full reset couldn’t but since I didn’t have apple care I didn’t get new phone. Still haven’t found a fix and it’s been countless software updates since. I just don’t have time to spend at an apple store convincing them that I’m not crazy. And yes, it is software not hardware as looking at the photos taken on my phone on other devices does not yield the same problem. Also, it’s an isolated issue as this does not happen on friends iPhone X or apple store ones. I just don’t think there is a solution but I’d love if someone found one.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
[doublepost=1541326665][/doublepost]
When I first got my iPhone X in December 2017 I had this issue. I went to an apple store and after hours they could not find a solution. Even a full reset couldn’t but since I didn’t have apple care I didn’t get new phone. Still haven’t found a fix and it’s been countless software updates since. I just don’t have time to spend at an apple store convincing them that I’m not crazy. And yes, it is software not hardware as looking at the photos taken on my phone on other devices does not yield the same problem. Also, it’s an isolated issue as this does not happen on friends iPhone X or apple store ones. I just don’t think there is a solution but I’d love if someone found one.

Yeah definitely an isolated issue that only appears to affect a tiny percentage of users.
I'm not going to stop until it's fixed, so I'll update this thread as soon as I have some news from Apple support.

Aymeno

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018
Yeah definitely an isolated issue that only appears to affect a tiny percentage of users.
I'm not going to stop until it's fixed, so I'll update this thread as soon as I have some news from Apple support.

I don't think it actually is an isolated issue, it has affected me on three iPhone X's I have had. Each replacement phone I got has not solved the issue, and I have even tried setting up the last one as a new iPhone but the issue is still there.

I think it happens to a lot of people tbh but seeing as it's such a minor issue not many people notice it.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
I don't think it actually is an isolated issue, it has affected me on three iPhone X's I have had. Each replacement phone I got has not solved the issue, and I have even tried setting up the last one as a new iPhone but the issue is still there.

I think it happens to a lot of people tbh but seeing as it's such a minor issue not many people notice it.
Hmm maybe you’re right.

But if that’s the case, I’m surprised there’s not a lot more people piping up about it as we’re all quite pendantic on these forums.

Black_Widow

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2018
Hmm maybe you’re right.

But if that’s the case, I’m surprised there’s not a lot more people piping up about it as we’re all quite pendantic on these forums.
[doublepost=1546226017][/doublepost]I’ve encountered this just today on my new iPhone 7, and i’ve already encountered it on my last iphone which is a 6s. In my opinion it’s not that of a problem. Photos are crisp when you send them to someone on messenger and doesn’t appear “soft” or “blurry” when zoomed out, it seem like it only appears like that in the photo gallery. If you really want to make your pictures crisp even in the photo gallery. Go to a photo that seems blurry, and then go to the edit options, tap the cropping tool and then it would automatically zoom in a little bit, making the blur go away, but sometimes it zooms in a bit too much, so you just have to adjust it. Tap done to save it and you’ll see that the photo is now sharper, even when it’s zoomed out.

Last edited:

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
[doublepost=1546226017][/doublepost]
I’ve encountered this just today on my new iPhone 7, and i’ve already encountered it on my last iphone which is a 6s. In my opinion it’s not that of a problem. Photos are crisp when you send them to someone on messenger and doesn’t appear “soft” or “blurry” when zoomed out, it seem like it only appears like that in the photo gallery. If you really want to make your pictures crisp even in the photo gallery. Go to a photo that seems blurry, and then go to the edit options, tap the cropping tool and then it would automatically zoom in a little bit, making the blur go away, but sometimes it zooms in a bit too much, so you just have to adjust it. Tap done to save it and you’ll see that the photo is now sharper, even when it’s zoomed out.
Still doesn’t work.
Just tried it on a few photos, cropped the image slightly and saved. Exited the Photos app, closed it properly, then went back into it and the photo is still not sharp until I hit the edit button which is when it all sharpens up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.