Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Literally just now noticing this too on my 10 month old iPhone X. I must've not been focusing on the photos to notice earlier but I see my photos do have a very slight blur to them and then instantly get crisper when I zoom a little. I do have iCloud photo library enabled and optimized iPhone storage checked. Looks like lots of people have this issue if you search for it on reddit and Apples forums.

Last edited:

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
Literally just now noticing this too on my 10 month old iPhone X. I must've not been focusing on the photos to notice earlier but I see my photos do have a very slight blur to them and then instantly get crisper when I zoom a little. I do have iCloud photo library enabled and optimized iPhone storage checked. Looks like lots of people have this issue if you search for it on reddit and Apples forums.
i think this is normal as it also present in my iphone xs max 64gb.

GrumpyCat

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
I am here specifically because this issue has appeared today on my year old 7+ 128GB which reports only 32GB utilized.

The symptom is exactly as if a low res cached version is displayed but zooming the pic downloads the real thing instantly.

This occurs the moment after a new picture is taken. Is annoying. Am not on my usual WiFi network.

Reactions: WRXiceman

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
So I googled this and have seen some other users on older iphones have also suffered from this.
I am having the same problem with my iphone 11: the picture is blurry (soft, unsharp) in the photo gallery until I double tap to zoom in. Then it becomes sharp and clear even after zooming out back to its original state. BUT 'going out' of the picture and reselecting it it will be blurry once more until I zoom in again. If I select the picture in an app such as Snapseed the picture that shows up is immediately the sharp version.

The solution offered usually told people to turn off 'optimise iphone storage' in icloud photo settings but this did not work for most people and did not work for me (I went as far as turning everything off concerning photo app with icloud).

I doubt this is a hardware issue since it seems the 'original' picture taken by the camera is sharp and good. Has there been a definite solution for this for the people who are affected?

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
If people are still wondering about this I fixed it on my iphone 11 by going to settings->camera and switching from high efficiency to compatible.
Nothing else worked, but this did. I understand the colors are richer in high efficiency mode (paired with smaller sized files it would have been perfect), but I just found it very inconvenient and psychologically uncomfortable to see a crystal clear image right before taking the pic and then finding a blurry image at first in the photo app.

Yes you fix it by zooming in and out but it is annoying and when you exit the photo and select it again you have to go through the same process again.

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
I fixed it on my iphone 11 by going to settings->camera and switching from high efficiency to compatible.
Nothing else worked, but this did. I understand the colors are richer in high efficiency mode (paired with smaller sized files it would have been perfect), but I just found it very inconvenient and psychologically uncomfortable to see a crystal clear image right before taking the pic and then finding a blurry image at first in the photo app.

Yes you fix it by zooming in and out but it is annoying and when you exit the photo and select it again you have to go through the same process again.

Aljon

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2019
same here on my xs max, the quality image is really blurry and not sharp when u double tap the image that u taken, unlike the iphone x its sharp and not blurry even u double tap the image or zoom the image weird.

Tomáš Zajac

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
I have noticed same issue on my 1 year old iphone XS. It started litteraly month ago from nothing. I did not do anything with my iphone it is in very good condition but yet it happened. Did anyone find solution because it is annoying as hell.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Would anyone experiencing the problem be so kind to share an example photo with us? Preferably via an iCloud link so we can see the metadata? Or upload here and screen shot the metadata like this.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 7.46.31 AM.png

That way we can see if the automatic settings are appropriate for the photo. Just be aware if you share the photo with metadata attached the location will likely be attached. Turn location services off, take the photo, then turn location services back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.