Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeoFio

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
New York
BMW.
[automerge]1575488727[/automerge]

BMW are overpriced. Their cars offer nothing meaningful over any other brand that costs less. Your paying more for that little blue and white badge on the front.
Ever drive one or any other luxury car for that matter? The proliferation of technology makes most cars appear the same on paper, but there's many aspects that can only be felt in person. From the thud of a closing door to the tightness of the handling, there is a difference that some feel is worth paying for.

Full disclosure I own a BMW but it's too old for CarPlay anyways. I always thought it was a ridiculous yearly charge though on the newer models, but not unexpected for the brand when my local dealer charges for individual wheel weights in addition to the flat rotating and balancing charge.

Reactions: jjm3

eyez73

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Ridiculous they charged for this in the first place. My i3 doesn't have CarPlay, the bluetooth is good enough for my needs.

I have an i3 as well, I've tried CarPlay on a couple of other cars and I have to say I'm happy with the i3's built it system as well.

Reactions: Blackstick

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2014
NewBrunswick, Canada
Ever drive one or any other luxury car for that matter? The proliferation of technology makes most cars appear the same on paper, but there's many aspects that can only be felt in person. From the thud of a closing door to the tightness of the handling, there is a difference that some feel is worth paying for.

Full disclosure I own a BMW but it's too old for CarPlay anyways. I always thought it was a ridiculous yearly charge though on the newer models, but not unexpected for the brand when my local dealer charges for individual wheel weights in addition to the flat rotating and balancing charge.
I have driven "luxury" cars, and they don't do anything for me that justifies the significant price hike. For me a car is just a machine to go from A to B. Having more horsepower than what's needed to reach highway speed or wood trim doesn't really help accomplish the function of a car.

fonzy91

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
May Mercedes follow! In Italy they charge a one time €300 fee to remotely activate CarPlay, even on leases! Robbery.

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
Well yes. That is what I told the dealer when I said I won’t buy their stinking car! BMW do not pay Apple money for carplay, but wanted to charge a subscription to use it. Despicable policy.
I think BMW saw people like you as a cash cow, and you did not disabuse them of that view. Clearly though, many otherwise customers thought differently.

It's a matter of personal choice. You may find my choice misguided or wrong, it is still my choice to pay for it. Whether it's offered for free on other cars or not, I chose to buy a BMW and pay for the subscription price, that otherwise would have been free.

People have choices in buying either an iPhone or a Samsung, why do you think most people buy Apple products? I believe it works for them and it ties more on how it works for them, the convenience and how it works seamlessly.

Like I said before, I welcome the fact that they are removing the subscription price for CarPlay. I do respect your opinion, even though it does not affect how I pay for something I consider a convenience.

LeoFio

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
New York
I have driven "luxury" cars, and they don't do anything for me that justifies the significant price hike. For me a car is just a machine to go from A to B. Having more horsepower than what's needed to reach highway speed or wood trim doesn't really help accomplish the function of a car.
And that's fine. Some people are car enthusiasts while others view them as purely utilitarian. Obviously you're not in BMW's demographic, which is why there's makes and models for every type of person out there. Just know that not every buyer of a higher end car is doing it for status reasons.

Reactions: Will.O.Bie

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
What a dumb move. Basically making an already expensive car even less attractive. If I wanna use Carplay, then why buy a BMW when Audi, for example, doesn't charge extra? Marketing 101.
Sounds like the guys at BMW need to hire you for your sage advice, particularly since BMW crushes Audi in sales.

Audis are not BMWs, BTW.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Just here to see how this gets spun into BMW is evil thread.

At the end of the day, they did a pricing exercise, it met negative feedback and they listened to the consumer. Thats how business rolls people. Kudos to BMW

what gave them the idea to charge in the first place when every other manufacturer doing it for free
BMW arent even good cars

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
May Mercedes follow! In Italy they charge a one time €300 fee to remotely activate CarPlay, even on leases! Robbery.
BMW previously charged around a $400 CAD fee to have Apple CarPlay on your BMW but then recently added the monthly subscription fees instead.

Last edited:

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
what gave them the idea to charge in the first place when every other manufacturer doing it for free
BMW arent even good cars
Nice analysis, but BMW is leading or among leaders in sales for the luxury car market depending on how you measure and what years you study. That's because the cars are extremely desirable.

"Not good" doesn't really count as a fact.

Asarien

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2015
Waiting for some startup to rebrand car leasing as a monthly subscription service.

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
It's unbelievable that BMW is trying to make money. What a bunch of greedy corporate running dogs!

Cars should be free! Everything should be free! Just like in the worker's paradise of the USSR! Those were the days, comrades, when we could ride our Volgas and marvel at the glory of our society.
BMW should also charge a monthly fee for using the A/C and heater while they're at it. Apparently enough people on this thread think this is an ok move so perhaps Apple should take notice and charge a monthly fee for the convenience of setting your alarm.

I'm sorry people but if you think it's ok to charge a monthly fee to use something you already own then you're an idiot. I see people say you can choose to not buy a BMW but I say let's take it a step further and shame them into submission. If we don't say anything then we become complicit in enabling these companies to take advantage of us.

eco7777

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
I Have been driving BMW's since I was a kid and my father had his first 7 series back in the 80's. F BMW for that silly move. pfffft
[automerge]1575492736[/automerge]
If the start charging for CarPlay I will no longer have it.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
BMW arent even good cars

It's a business decision, they don't all work out.

As for "BMW arent even good cars" Well that is your opinion, I have a slight feeling you have never owned a new one to make such a statement. I'm not overly brand loyal, but my BMW experience has been stellar.
[automerge]1575492875[/automerge]
I Have been driving BMW's since I was a kid and my father had his first 7 series back in the 80's. F BMW for that silly move. pfffft
[automerge]1575492736[/automerge]
If the start charging for CarPlay I will no longer have it.
Did you even read the article?
[automerge]1575492930[/automerge]
BMW should also charge a monthly fee for using the A/C and heater while they're at it. Apparently enough people on this thread think this is an ok move so perhaps Apple should take notice and charge a monthly fee for the convenience of setting your alarm.

I'm sorry people but if you think it's ok to charge a monthly fee to use something you already own then you're an idiot. I see people say you can choose to not buy a BMW but I say let's take it a step further and shame them into submission. If we don't say anything then we become complicit in enabling these companies to take advantage of us.

Did you bother to read the article, or just smell blood into water and jump in.

Reading is fundemental

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

In the same sense, since you're on MacRumors, I assume that you buy (or at least enjoy reading about) Macs and iPhones that are capable than more than just basic functionalities, or made of a single piece of aluminum instead of plastic. People are going to be enthusiastic about different things.

It is amusing and confusing to see people calling out those that dare spend money on a luxury car brand, while we all own Apple products. Not calling you out specifically since you just gave your own opinion, and that's fine and good that luxury cars don't fit you personally. More money for other things you do like. :)

Reactions: iGeneo

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I am surprised Apple allowed this, or didn't try to shut this down. I don't know the specifics of why the charge for access to CarPlay, but it seems like it's something Apple would have said 'wait a sec' to. If I didn't know better, I would be confused if the money was going to Apple or BMW. Anyone remember having to pay $9.99 to upgrade to iOS 2 or some iOS around there? :D

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
BMW are overpriced. Their cars offer nothing meaningful over any other brand that costs less. Your paying more for that little blue and white badge on the front.

Don’t forget paying more for maintenance!

zzmd

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2011
BMW stick to auto performance and let the tech pros do their thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.