Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
what are some great board games (can also include card games and whatnot) that you play?

Monopoly used to be a firm favourite - we played it a lot when we were older children and as young teenagers; then, as a kid, I played the obvious 'snakes & ladders', and we - my brothers & I also played what we called "Ludo" quite a bit with a favourite cousin.

"Cluedo" was another game we loved (I think Americans call it "Clue"), played endlessly with that same cousin with whom we were close.

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Currently we play Mansions of Madness 1. edition, Blood Bowl, Hive, Lost Cities, Patchwork, Mice and Mystics and Evolution: Climate. All great games.

Erlang

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
SW, UK
Ticket to Ride (many versions available), Exploding Kittens (card), Fluxx (card).

Articulate can be a lot of fun depends on the crowd.

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I could totally get into a classic game of Monopoly with the family during the holidays. Settlers of Catan is also a good one.

I also used to play "Mastermind" with my twin brother when we were growing up. That was fun.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Settlers of Catan; randomised board so every game is different. Formula D is very fun with lots of players (4-10). Sheriff of Nottingham is great.

Easiest one to pick up is One Night Ultimate Werewolf and it has a phone app which gives you the instructions. Really great game.

We were playing Talisman this new year with all (12!) expansion packs. Quite easy to play as you just roll and read cards, though there can be a lot to remember. Even on the base game it can take a number of hours.

The best board game I’ve ever played is Battlestar Galactica but that’s quite complicated and you’re best off with 5 players on that.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Those (Monopoly, scable (post 3), Risk, and Clue) were great and I also liked Life, Operation and a game called Fireball Island which involved a volcano. The last board game I played and still play on my iPad is Othello, a square board game with black and white disks where you jump others to turn them to your color. There is good strategy for that.

40240B02-01A3-4164-B815-87B0D034BAC0.jpeg 41506DE0-77E2-40AB-AEC5-1EBD76A429E5.jpeg

Reactions: LizKat

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We were playing Talisman this new year with all (12!) expansion packs. Quite easy to play as you just roll and read cards, though there can be a lot to remember. Even on the base game it can take a number of hours.

Talisman is a terrific game, even for fairly "advanced" gamers. We've also looked into Descent, another "dungeon crawler", LOTS of expansions (you can run up $400 before you know it ...)

Some other stuff that's in our game rotation:

Castle Panic, plus several expansions (collaborative, "tower defense" type game, excellent for a family, everyone is on the same team)
Zombie Panic, same game designers as above, some of the same mechanics, but character based, so different enough to not seem like the same game (with zombies ...)
King of Tokyo / King of New York, exansions
Munchkin, several variants, some played together
Forbidden Island
Cosmic Encounter

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well I might have exaggerated the post, but I am in fact mildly dyslexic so hardly surprising! Spell check covers a lot of my mistakes though!

I used to lose at Scrabble playing vs an old guy whose dementia was beginning to overtake his capabilities, but he still knew all those weird three letter connector words that crossword puzzles feature sometimes. Every time we played I came home trounced. At least it changed my strategy from one of daydreaming about a seven-letter hit job at the beginning of a game. I started looking to fit two letters in somewhere on any turn, and to score 27 points for it like he kept doing!

We liked Monopoly and Scrabble as kids, but our elders of extended family were more into card games like canasta and hearts so we played those more often.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I used to lose at Scrabble playing vs an old guy whose dementia was beginning to overtake his capabilities, but he still knew all those weird three letter connector words that crossword puzzles feature sometimes. Every time we played I came home trounced. At least it changed my strategy from one of daydreaming about a seven-letter hit job at the beginning of a game. I started looking to fit two letters in somewhere on any turn, and to score 27 points for it like he kept doing!

We liked Monopoly and Scrabble as kids, but our elders of extended family were more into card games like canasta and hearts so we played those more often.

Yes, my mother was into bridge, and she came from a family of card players (long nights in a large old rambling country house, dark in winter and lit with gas lamps and candles before the house was linked up to the national grid sometime during the second world war).

But, as kids, - especially on wet days in summer, and cold, dark, miserable wet days in winter - actually, this very time of the year, as you'd be off school, while the parents would have returned (reluctantly) to work, - this was board game time.

fleabite

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
We’re big into cooperative games, because my daughter wants to play nice and my son plays for keeps. Mice and Mystics, Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, and Pandemics are favorites, but we’re currently hooked on Sentinals of the Multiverse.

Reactions: millerj123

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Scrabble, Clue and Monopoly are games that will give you a lot of fun and fustration.

Agreed; all three are classics, and should be a part of everyone's childhood. And indeed, adulthood.

Some years ago, staying with my French friends, who live in the centre of Paris, we headed for the week-end to their cottage near Chartres.

There, they - the parents with whom I had become quite friendly - played a very intense game of Scrabble while a blazing log fire burned in the hearth (it was autumn, and while the days were still lovely, the evenings were getting crisp and cold, and fires were welcome). Later, in the small kitchen, while fetching drinks, the husband stole out to whisper in my ear (in English), "you know, Denise: She just hates to lose"; some time later, during the next brief break in the kitchen, the aforementioned Denise brushed by me, and grinning, remarked close to my ear, "You know, Claude: He just really, really hates to lose".

I was helpless with laughter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Agreed; all three are classics, and should be a part of everyone's childhood. And indeed, adulthood.

Some years ago, staying with my French friends, who live in the centre of Paris, we headed for the week-end to their cottage near Chartres.

There, they - the parents with whom I had been quite friendly - played a very intense game of Scrabble while a blazing log fire burned in the hearth (it was autumn, and while the days were still lovely, the evenings were getting crisp and cold, and fires were welcome). later, in the small kitchen, while fetching drinks, the husband stole out to whisper in my ear (in English), "you know, Denise: She just hates to lose"; some time later, during the next brief break in the kitchen, the aforementioned Denise brushed by me, and grinning, remarked close to my ear, "You know, Claude: He just really, really hates to lose".

I was helpless with laughter.
Nobody likes to lose! Just some get more practice!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Nobody likes to lose! Just some get more practice!

Actually, to their credit, having played each other in French, (I was in charge of the dictionary, though they had invited me to join them) they offered to play me in English; that wouldn't have been fair, (to them), so I declined. But it was very funny, watching how seriously they took the game.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Best board games according to me:

Risk - A very long game, depending how you play. The perfect balance between strategy and chance.

Stratego- A pure strategic game, no chance at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.