Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Sorry this isn’t a board game but thought I’d toss it out anyway.

We used to play an excellent card game called Twenty-Four with the kids and against adults. It is fun and an excellent game to reinforce or develop math and abstract thinking skills. It’s for all ages and only requires the simple skills addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

If anyone is interested I’ll be happy to share the simple rules.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Parcheesi (called Ludo in our part of the world) was a firm favourite in late childhood with brothers and favourite cousin.

And - as students - there was also Trivial Pursuit.

I remember also enjoying playing Masterpiece in a friend's house, during school holidays.
Ah yes, Trivial Pursuit was a fun game as well. My wife is a Star Wars fan and we bought the original Star Wars edition of Trivial Pursuit and she thoroughly trounces me any time we play.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Some links into modern and better board gaming...

The Dice Tower - Great review site on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiwBbXQlljGjKtKhcdMliRA

Board Game Geek - Answers all your tabletop questions
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/
Some of my current favorites...
1. Photosynthesis - Innovative and my new favorite
2. Ticket To Ride - Best game to enter the hobby
3. Carcassonne - Best tile laying game
4. Codenames - Popular team game for anyone
5. Spyfall - Great social deduction game
6. Burgle Bros. - Team up with other players to catch the loot
7. For Sale - Nice quick auction game
8. Flashpoint Fire Rescue - Thematic firefighting game
9. Telestrations - Funny game, pictionary meets the telephone game

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I agree. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the game Power Grid. It's another fun game.

I like Power Grid.

If you've played it a lot maybe you can explain to me why anyone would pick a region with expensive connections. The extra expense is an obvious drawback, and among all of my friends in all of our gameplay we've never seen any advantage which balances out that drawback in any way.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I like Power Grid.

If you've played it a lot maybe you can explain to me why anyone would pick a region with expensive connections. The extra expense is an obvious drawback, and among all of my friends in all of our gameplay we've never seen any advantage which balances out that drawback in any way.

You should contact the game designer (see what they had in mind). That's another thing that's pretty neat with small game design shops, they're usually pretty helpful (I've contacted a few, email, FB, Twitter for rule clarifications).

Reactions: ActionableMango

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I like Power Grid.

Unfortunately if you are last to place in a full game, you get very few choices and the expensive area might be your best bet :(.

Getting trapped without the ability to expand in phase 1 is a sure recipe for a lose.

Another game I highly recommend is Aquire. It came out in 1964 and is still sold today.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Stratego is another game we play. What would be really cool is if they made a four or six person game so you could have teams etc. Fun little game!

Have you ever looked at / played with any of the optional rules? Not just the original variations, but some of the online rule subs. Some fun stuff, makes it a whole new game in some cases.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Stratego is another game we play. What would be really cool is if they made a four or six person game so you could have teams etc. Fun little game!

After playing many of the multiplayer board / card games that are now out there, I have little desire to play a two player game. If the game was 4 -6 players, I might play it again.

For those that are interested, Mage Knight is considered by many to be the best 1 player (solo) board game currently available. Interestingly, the game isn't as good if you have more then 1 player because each turn can be very long (making it boring for the players who are waiting for their turn). I picked up the game because I sometimes feel like board gaming when nobody else is available. I highly recommend the game for more experienced gamers.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Have you ever looked at / played with any of the optional rules? Not just the original variations, but some of the online rule subs. Some fun stuff, makes it a whole new game in some cases.

I have not! Heck, I didn't know there were optional rules! I will admit it has been awhile but heck if you can get more than two people on board!! No pun intended. :)

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
My humble and messy collection of board games. We’re a board gaming family. I strongly suggest Pandemic as the first designer game; just the fact that it’s a cooperative game makes it a different experience.
Right now we play lots of Mansions of Madness 2E.

U9idrVV_d.jpg

[doublepost=1515460111][/doublepost]

Get Kemet!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
My humble and messy collection of board games. We’re a board gaming family. I strongly suggest Pandemic as the first designer game; just the fact that it’s a cooperative game makes it a different experience.

U9idrVV_d.jpg

Get Kemet!

Very nice collection. I think that all serious board gamers own a copy of Ticket to Ride :).

It also looks like you have the game Dominion in your collection. It's one of my favorite deck building games.

I couldn't see if you had "Settlers of Catan" in your collection. If not, I highly recommend it.

[doublepost=1515472426][/doublepost]
We just ordered Kingdom Death: Monster. I’m nervous...

On Amazon it shows a price of $629.99. Now that's some serious board gaming:).

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

U9idrVV_d.jpg

Get Kemet!

Holy smokes! Very nice collection!

Looking at Kemet now!!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.