Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
My family is really into board games (we have shelves covered in them), but I'm not much of a board-game player myself (and I don't care for any of those games that take days to play!) but I do enjoy a few newer ones like Secret Hitler, Machi Koro, and Sushi Go!

I also like Alhambra, though it's been a while since I've played it.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I couldn't see if you had "Settlers of Catan" in your collection. If not, I highly recommend it.

If you like Catan I highly recommend either "Helpers of Catan" expansion or "Star Trek Catan" a complete game. I like these because they have "support" cards which add quite a bit to gameplay and strategy, especially if you've played Catan enough that it is getting stale.

Helpers of Catan is an expansion, so it is ideal if you already have Catan. Of all the expansions, I think this one is tied for my favorite (along with Seafarers, which is also great).

Star Trek Catan is ideal if you like Star Trek, or if you don't yet have Catan. It is a standalone game that is literally Catan + Helpers of Catan, but with a Star Trek original series theme.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Star Trek Catan is ideal if you like Star Trek, or if you don't yet have Catan. It is a standalone game that is literally Catan + Helpers of Catan, but with a Star Trek original series theme.

I was looking for Star Trek Catan and it looks like it's out of print (very expensive to buy).

Check out Star Trek Catan on Tabletop with Will Weaton (Wesley Crusher from Star Trek Next Generation). Jeri Ryan (7 of 9 on Star Trek) is a guest star. She still looks good.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I was looking for Star Trek Catan and it looks like it's out of print (very expensive to buy).

Wow you are right. The typical price $150ish seems way too high considering you can get the same gameplay with the core game plus cheap expansion.

I found one on Ebay for about $55 "Buy It Now" and while I was trying to PM you the link, it sold.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My humble and messy collection of board games. We’re a board gaming family. I strongly suggest Pandemic as the first designer game; just the fact that it’s a cooperative game makes it a different experience.
Right now we play lots of Mansions of Madness 2E.

U9idrVV_d.jpg

Bumping this thread, well, since it's a good one (and there was at least a few replies _this_ year), but also to ping you specifically: what do you think of Elder Signs?

Before you answer (assuming you have some experience with it), I guess I'd say I'm OK with the roll-the-dice mechanics, and we kind of prefer co-op type games to play with the little G (she's 10, smart, creative). I think she would like some of the narrative elements of something like Betrayal At House On The Hill, but realize that goes P vs. P(s) at some point.

I remember seeing your huge collection, but didn't even notice the first time you had a number of H.P. Lovecraft themed games (which is what I'm interested in - co-op, family fun, in a universe of unspeakable horror :D)

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Bumping this thread, well, since it's a good one (and there was at least a few replies _this_ year), but also to ping you specifically: what do you think of Elder Signs?

Before you answer (assuming you have some experience with it), I guess I'd say I'm OK with the roll-the-dice mechanics, and we kind of prefer co-op type games to play with the little G (she's 10, smart, creative). I think she would like some of the narrative elements of something like Betrayal At House On The Hill, but realize that goes P vs. P(s) at some point.

I remember seeing your huge collection, but didn't even notice the first time you had a number of H.P. Lovecraft themed games (which is what I'm interested in - co-op, family fun, in a universe of unspeakable horror :D)

Elder Sign is a nice, quick game. It’s definitely a good time filler, and it’s not easy to beat at all! There are a couple of expansions that make the game much better. It’s good for a 10yo as for an adult, but it has virtually no story. However when (if!) you win you’re going to celebrate!

If you’re looking for a great co-op with a great story, I suggest Mansions of Madness 2E (of course you can also play solo. It’s very important to get 2E and not 1E). Being an app driven board game it’s very immersive, as the app will gradually adapt to your actions, it will challenge you with puzzles, riddles and so on all while you try to go through the story on the board. It’s almost a RPG. The miniatures are also fantastic. It’s not easy for a 10yo by herself, but with some guidance she can definitely enjoy it. My youngest kid is 11 and has been playing Arkham Horror, mansions of madness, elder sign, and eldritch horror for quite some time. I suggest that you watch some introductory video by the Dice Tower as you don’t want to spoil the story while you learn the mechanics. One warning: this game is brutal, and I mean it. With the exception of the first story - basically an intro - it will just take you down, make you double guess every action, destroy any plan you might devise, and bring you to the edge of a maniacal self-destruction of your psyche and reality as you know it :) I just love it!

As for Betrayal, the game is good but the betrayal mechanism would make it hard for a 2p game especially if one of the two players is very young. If you can have one other player, I would suggest Dead of Winter, it’s lots of fun.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Thanks! Terrific info!

Yeah except that I forgot the final suggestion. Lol
I would suggest to get ES as it’s cheap, “easy” (rule wise), and fun. Then maybe get a couple of expansions.
If she’s really into the Lovecraftian universe, bite the bullet for MoM 2E (much more expensive) at Christmas or something :)

Reactions: D.T.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Nice collection, Yaxo. You should have your son play you a game to determine whether you want to risk life and limb this spring. :p I don't see any Monopoly games, though. Do you have any or are they stores elsewhere due to their size?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Nice collection, Yaxo. You should have your son play you a game to determine whether you want to risk life and limb this spring. :p I don't see any Monopoly games, though. Do you have any or are they stores elsewhere due to their size?

Lol, we don’t play Monopoly anymore due to the length and bad gameplay (in addition to the fact that inevitably a fight in real life WILL occur as Monopoly is second only to Diplomacy in breaking friendships, relationships etc; I am not joking when I tell you that the biggest fight I had with my wife was on a Monopoly game we were playing. At the time we were dating, but if our relationship survived that fight over that game it will survive ‘till the end of eternity).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Lol, we don’t play Monopoly anymore due to the length and bad gameplay (in addition to the fact that inevitably a fight in real life WILL occur as Monopoly is second only to Diplomacy in breaking friendships, relationships etc; I am not joking when I tell you that the biggest fight I had with my wife was on a Monopoly game we were playing. At the time we were dating, but if our relationship survived that fight over that game it will survive ‘till the end of eternity).

Oh, yes.

I can well remember those interminable Monopoly games of my early teens.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Lol, we don’t play Monopoly anymore due to the length and bad gameplay (in addition to the fact that inevitably a fight in real life WILL occur as Monopoly is second only to Diplomacy in breaking friendships, relationships etc;

Hahaha, yes, Diplomacy was great at revealing who was a good liar, who was easily manipulated, who was oblivious to the deceit going on right under their nose ...

OK, I was already queued up in my 'Games' list on Amazon, assuming ES was my next purchase, thanks for confirmation :D

upload_2018-4-25_7-38-40.png

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I had the chance this weekend to finally try out Twilight Imperium 3rd edition. I have always wanted to try TI since first edition, and luckily, it fully lived up to my high expectations! With two expansions, but not playing with all optional rules, and 6 players, it took us 10,5 hours including setup. It was EPIC and one of the best board gaming experiences I've had!

Unfortunately my SO would never want to play such a long game, and without a regular group to play with, I will not buy it.. Sigh.. :(

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Hahaha, yes, Diplomacy was great at revealing who was a good liar, who was easily manipulated, who was oblivious to the deceit going on right under their nose ...

OK, I was already queued up in my 'Games' list on Amazon, assuming ES was my next purchase, thanks for confirmation :D

View attachment 759623

My pleasure!
It’s really difficult to find a better price/value ratio. The base game is fun and well produced, while some of the expansions are not really expansions as they completely change the game (you actually have to remove most of the items you possess).
[doublepost=1524662160][/doublepost]
I had the change this weekend to finally try out Twilight Imperium 3rd edition. I have always wanted to try TI since first edition, and luckily, it fully lived up to my high expectations! With two expansions, but not playing with all optional rules, and 6 players, it took us 10,5 hours including setup. It was EPIC and one of the best board gaming experiences I've had!

Unfortunately my SO would never want to play such a long game, and without a regular group to play with, I will not buy it.. Sigh.. :(

Ah TI3! What a great game. although MoM is my favorite to play on a regular basis, no game can really reach the quality, depth, and beauty of Twilight Imperium. 10 hour game is not bad (@Scepticalscribe if you thought that Monopoly is long...) for a six players game. I am no TI expert at all, I played it just a few times (I bought TI3 for $60, the offer was too good), but my... the hours go by fast. I especially love how the game is slowish on the buildup phase and when the civilizations really get in contact it all seems like going too fast; I always feel there is not enough time to do what I want! Quality wise, this is by far the best game ever ever designed (except for one card in TI2).
Do you have any board gaming group in your area? You might find people willing to play it once a month or so.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My pleasure!
It’s really difficult to find a better price/value ratio. The base game is fun and well produced, while some of the expansions are not really expansions as they completely change the game (you actually have to remove most of the items you possess).
[doublepost=1524662160][/doublepost]

Ah TI3! What a great game. although MoM is my favorite to play on a regular basis, no game can really reach the quality, depth, and beauty of Twilight Imperium. 10 hour game is not bad (@Scepticalscribe if you thought that Monopoly is long...) for a six players game. I am no TI expert at all, I played it just a few times (I bought TI3 for $60, the offer was too good), but my... the hours go by fast. I especially love how the game is slowish on the buildup phase and when the civilizations really get in contact it all seems like going too fast; I always feel there is not enough time to do what I want! Quality wise, this is by far the best game ever ever designed (except for one card in TI2).
Do you have any board gaming group in your area? You might find people willing to play it once a month or so.

Ten hours?

No, even our teenaged Monopoly games never went on quite that long.

And yes, I also remember Diplomacy, - and played it - though I never actually possessed the game myself.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
In the spring of love a man would climb the highest mountain, swim the deepest ocean for his lady love. But after marriage, we can't even be bothered to help with the cleaning.:p:D
This is why I don't play board games with the Missus. Back went we were dating, she saw how masterfully I manipulated others in Diplomacy, yet fell victim to even her most transparent lies. She demanded to know why. During the climb the highest mountain, swim the deepest ocean phase; I believe her, though I know she lies. If we played today, I would mop the floor with her.o_O Today, I wouldn't go easy on her even in tiddlywinks. She kicks my butt at tiddlywinks.:oops:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
In the spring of love a man would climb the highest mountain, swim the deepest ocean for his lady love. But after marriage, we can't even be bothered to help with the cleaning.:p:D
This is why I don't play board games with the Missus. Back went we were dating, she saw how masterfully I manipulated others in Diplomacy, yet fell victim to even her most transparent lies. She demanded to know why. During the climb the highest mountain, swim the deepest ocean phase; I believe her, though I know she lies. If we played today, I would mop the floor with her.o_O Today, I wouldn't go easy on her even in tiddlywinks. She kicks my butt at tiddlywinks.:oops:
I still do some of the cleaning and I've been married 20 years!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I still do some of the cleaning and I've been married 20 years!

And so you should......as did my father.

Re board games, did anyone ever come across a 'travel' game called "Go"?

The aforementioned cousin and I spent a lot of a summer in our early teens playing that game.

And what about Trivial Pursuit? That was very popular when I was a student. I recall playing it at length in the home son fellow students.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
And so you should......as did my father.

Re board games, did anyone ever come across a 'travel' game called "Go"?

The aforementioned cousin and I spent a lot of a summer in our early teens playing that game.

And what about Trivial Pursuit? That was very popular when I was a student. I recall playing it at length in the home son fellow students.
Indeed. But we're still in the spring of love!

The only travel game I recall was one based on London tube stations where you have to go to various locations whilst your opponents block you. Sounds really basic, but quite fun.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Indeed. But we're still in the spring of love!

The only travel game I recall was one based on London tube stations where you have to go to various locations whilst your opponents block you. Sounds really basic, but quite fun.

This travel game involved the world, which was depicted in most of the board; the periphery of the board was marked by the usual squares, and numbers, and tasks, you had to perform in order to achieve the goals of the game (before you could win). If memory serves, you had to travel to - I think - to seven different cities - across different countries and continents, book flights, or ships, or trains, or other forms of transport, change currency, etc in order to buy a 'souvenir' in each city you had selected and then race 'home' to the starting point; which was, I think, London.

It was a clever and interesting game. Aforementioned cousin - I still put in an occasional appearance when I am home on his table quiz team, which is most enjoyable - was my - and my brothers' - favourite cousin when I was a child & teenager; I have written about him before - one of his two daughters is autistic.

But there was a summer or two in our lives - in my and his early teens - when we played that and other games (including chess, where I won) endlessly.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This travel game involved the world, which was depicted in most of the board; the periphery of the board was married by the usual squares, and numbers, and tasks, you had to perform in order to achieve the goals of the game (before you could win). If memory serves, you had to travel to - I think - to seven different cities - across different countries and continents, book flights, or ships, or other forms of transport, change currency, etc in order to buy a 'souvenir' in each city you had selected and then race 'home' to the starting point; which was, I think, London.

It was a clever and interesting game. Aforementioned cousin - I still put in an occasional appearance when I am home on his table quiz team, which is most enjoyable - was my - and my brothers' - favourite cousin when I was a child & teenager; I have written about him before - one of his two daughters is autistic.

But there was a summer or two in our lives - in my and his early teens - when we played that and other games (including chess, where I won) endlessly.

:)

364x400.jpg

Lots of information here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/370940/waddingtons-go-review-rules-and-gameplay-pics

A couple of vintage game stores show it as a 1961 publication date!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.