Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
1) Dominion. My win/loss ratio when I play against my wife is 1/45 and I am not even joking. She always wins.

It's a fun deck building game and I'm not sure why your loss ratio is so bad. Some skill is involved in adding the correct cards to your deck but much of it is random in how your deck is shuffled. I usually find myself doing well when I add gold treasure cards to my hand whenever I can afford it.

I recommend Dead of Winter. It is co-op with a narrative element during each person's turn in the form of a "Crossroads card". You can either read the cards out loud yourself or have a pro narrate them via a free companion smartphone/tablet app.

Last edited:
Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
It's a fun deck building game and I'm not sure why your loss ratio is so bad. Some skill is involved in adding the correct cards to your deck but much of it is random in how your deck is shuffled. I usually find myself doing well when I add gold treasure cards to my hand whenever I can afford it.

I know, it just makes my loss(es) even more infuriating......

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
In that the disputes over the words?
What else?

While not me, when we had English neighbors years ago, the wife (the English couple) told me a funny tale of her younger sister throwing a thousand page dictionary at her, and her dodging it, and their mother seeing it and giving her, the younger sister, a smack (different times) and a time out. I thought that was fairly normal. Which was my reply to her after she'd finished her story.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
What else?

While not me, when we had English neighbors years ago, the wife (the English couple) told me a funny tale of her younger sister throwing a thousand page dictionary at her, and her dodging it, and their mother seeing it and giving her, the younger sister, a smack (different times) and a time out. I thought that was fairly normal. Which was my reply to her after she'd finished her story.

So, in a US v UK players game would it be Color or Colour? :)

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Scrabble can be as dangerous as Monopoly, too.
Lots of disputes can be settle by agreeing upon a single dictionary, and having said dictionary at the table, before game play starts.

I would refuse to play with family under any other condition. Kids love to used d'em new portmanteau that the old man has never heard before. Bromance?:confused: Chillax?:rolleyes: Frankenfood?o_O Guyliner?o_Oo_Oo_O And they get mad when I use Southern words like, ay'ite (all right) and yumptu (you want to).:D:D

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
That depends on where the game is played.

Terra icognita, obviously :)
[doublepost=1524760255][/doublepost]
Lots of disputes can be settle by agreeing upon a single dictionary, and having said dictionary at the table, before game play starts.

I would refuse to play with family under any other condition. Kids love to used d'em new portmanteau that the old man has never heard before. Bromance?:confused: Chillax?:rolleyes: Frankenfood?o_O Guyliner?o_Oo_Oo_O And they get mad when I use Southern words like, ay'ite (all right) and yumptu (you want to).:D:D

No worries, pretty soon scrabble will be just emoticons or - as they call ‘em now - emoji.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So, in a US v UK players game would it be Color or Colour? :)
UK spelling of course! After all it's called the English, not the American language ;)
[doublepost=1524770504][/doublepost]

I'd just assume you'd have been dyslexic if I saw those words.
By the way I am which is why scrabble is a particular challenge for me.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009

The thing to remember is that I haven't played Scrabble in years. And back then, dictionaries were massive and the sheets thinner than parchment. I think people in general are lucky these days due to smartphones.

kimcros

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2018
Scrabble is my favorite game, I play in Cattan, cool strategy and, of course, Monopoly immortal

Er, no; I beg to differ. Monopoly is not "boring", but there is an argument for saying that the instincts and impulses it promotes are less than altruistic. Meanwhile, Scrabble is evil and brilliant.

Evil? Do tell. I find it benign, though admit an ex-girlfriend and I occasionally played. She hated games because she was hyper-competitive. Our solution: we made it into a cooperative game by only tallying our combined total score to see how high we could go. It worked slightly better than the relationship itself. Edit: come to think of it, I tend to play that particular game better than those in my circles and find myself “playing down” a lot. Not so fun for me (and disingenuous) and likely not fun for others.

Played Monopoly as a kid and enjoyed it with family well enough but don’t care for it now. A few years ago I downloaded the app version and being able to play AI with whom I don’t take into consideration how I value the opponent made the game both more relaxing and less compelling. I don’t enjoy games that seem to serve as passive-aggressive social tools; then again I’ve grown stodgy. Did play the Star Wars version with a friend and his ten year-old earlier this year. Since we adults were non-competitive and the boy loves being the banker and explaining rules we had fun knocking the odd choices in adapting the movie to this cash grab format.

I recently purchased the app version of Tsuro after having played it with some acquaintances last year. The game is cool but the interface a little clunky at start of each game.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
We used to play mahjong but as a whole family we’d play the card game named 24. Not only was it crazy fun, it built excellent math skills and quick reasoning.

As a teen and into my 20’s friends and I would play (single deck) pinochle! By far my favorite card game to this day.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Finally ordered Elder Sign, I mean just in the past few minutes, delivery this Saturday :) Was _so_ tempted to go ahead and score a expansion or two, but it's always good to get your head about the base game.

So Cinco de Mayo will be filled with delicious food and beverages ... plus saving humanity from Lovecraftian horrors :D

a35bca4f2f71e4612bd2a3ec1c87ad57.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.