Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Anyone here ever play "Cards Against Humanity"? I was introduced to it this sultry evening for the first time ever, and must say that it was a most enjoyable evening.

Yep but I found it boring after I had playing it awhile (i.e it's really fun as a new game but gets stale after a few games).
[doublepost=1525408229][/doublepost]
No but I have to say I was intrigued when I read about it in the other thread.
Can you explain what it is?

Essentially it's an adult Apples to Apples game.

I'm not about to attach a Youtube "Cards Against Humanity" game :) but here is "Apples to Apples" game

The official "Cards Against Humanity" website

https://cardsagainsthumanity.com

Last edited:

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
Monopoly, I would always win. Sister always gave up and freaked out at the middle of a game. Dad loved UNO.

Reactions: Gravydog316

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
Usually this happens:
DSkxGTxVMAAE7aB.jpg

===

My sis bought me a new Mario Monopoly as a surprise last month
DY21QwNV4AEFFEH.jpg

===

I have been playing the Clue game a lot lately ...i'm up to like 625 games since i took this last month lol
DYExdWVU8AEjL9e.jpg

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Elder Sign is a nice, quick game. It’s definitely a good time filler, and it’s not easy to beat at all! There are a couple of expansions that make the game much better. It’s good for a 10yo as for an adult, but it has virtually no story. However when (if!) you win you’re going to celebrate!

Finally ordered Elder Sign, I mean just in the past few minutes, delivery this Saturday :) Was _so_ tempted to go ahead and score a expansion or two, but it's always good to get your head about the base game. So Cinco de Mayo will be filled with delicious food and beverages ... plus saving humanity from Lovecraftian horrors :D

It's terrific! Some of the comments below are for the thread since @yaxomoxay is obviously familiar :)

So this is a strategy, cooperative board game, taking place in the HP Lovecraft universe, in simplest terms, you're trying to collect items to stop an Old One, who wakens after a certain number of turn, you gather items by rolling special [6-sided] dice matching the results to tasks on cards, so think of it a bit like Yahtzee with more story based consequences (if you miss a roll, you go might go insane :D)

Really nice quality components, good art and design (cards and box have like a lamination). It did an initial, quick read through, mechanics seemed pretty easy, game flow made sense, most actions had a good example in the rules. Setup was pretty quick, it's "boardless", the play environment being created on the fly by cards.

Like most games, it took playing through a few turns and there is actually a bit of strategy with the dice, when to use items, some nice co-op tactics - only had a few, very minor questions, that were easily answered with a quick search on the web (they have an FAQ that clarifies a number of game mechanics). It's pretty tough too, we ran of out time to complete the first game, but we're about 75% through to a major game event, and I'd say the odds are about 50/50 of us winning.

You know, while there's not a lot of story narrative (I did love things like drawing a Hound of Tindalos ...), we did made it fun, read the description text of adventures out loud, same with the mythos events, hahaha, with an ominous British accent :D

I was _trying_ to avoid an expansion, but Amazon dropped the price of Unseen Forces again (it's sitting in a list), now it's 45% off, so for $21, I might not be able to resist :D

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
It's terrific! Some of the comments below are for the thread since @yaxomoxay is obviously familiar :)

So this is a strategy, cooperative board game, taking place in the HP Lovecraft universe, in simplest terms, you're trying to collect items to stop an Old One, who wakens after a certain number of turn, you gather items by rolling special [6-sided] dice matching the results to tasks on cards, so think of it a bit like Yahtzee with more story based consequences (if you miss a roll, you go might go insane :D)

Really nice quality components, good art and design (cards and box have like a lamination). It did an initial, quick read through, mechanics seemed pretty easy, game flow made sense, most actions had a good example in the rules. Setup was pretty quick, it's "boardless", the play environment being created on the fly by cards.

Like most games, it took playing through a few turns and there is actually a bit of strategy with the dice, when to use items, some nice co-op tactics - only had a few, very minor questions, that were easily answered with a quick search on the web (they have an FAQ that clarifies a number of game mechanics). It's pretty tough too, we ran of out time to complete the first game, but we're about 75% through to a major game event, and I'd say the odds are about 50/50 of us winning.

You know, while there's not a lot of story narrative (I did love things like drawing a Hound of Tindalos ...), we did made it fun, read the description text of adventures out loud, same with the mythos events, hahaha, with an ominous British accent :D

I was _trying_ to avoid an expansion, but Amazon dropped the price of Unseen Forces again (it's sitting in a list), now it's 45% off, so for $21, I might not be able to resist :D

Glad you liked it! It’s a fun game in a great mythological universe! This is just your introduction into the FFG’s Arkham Files universe :)
One day you will reach full madness with Arkham Horror...... and you will thank me for it :)

ah-at-home.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Glad you liked it! It’s a fun game in a great mythological universe! This is just your introduction into the FFG’s Arkham Files universe :)
One day you will reach full madness with Arkham Horror...... and you will thank me for it :)

ah-at-home.jpg

Wow, fun! Yeah, I used to play Talisman with a bunch of friends, with all the expansions (the 2nd edition products), we'd have boards spread out over different tables, tokens/cards/etc., everywhere :D

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Tried out Civilization: A New Dawn a week ago with 4 players. It was quite awesome! Gameplay was quick, flexible, and felt very much like playing the computer game, and so colorful so very appealing. I would very much want to play it again.

Also had the chance to try out 2. edition Game of Thrones. I do see the appeal since so many like it, but it didn't really hit my likings that much.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada

ah-at-home.jpg
That is crazy.
[doublepost=1529651695][/doublepost]
Monopoly, I would always win. Sister always gave up and freaked out at the middle of a game. Dad loved UNO.
I am undefeated at Monopoly. I even destroy the computer AI on the apps

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Amazon had a big sale on board games on Friday, picked up the 2nd edition Mansions of Madness, 1/2 price ($50 off) - it's under tree #2 (don't ask ... :D). We were actually up in NC for Thanksgiving, but I took a minute to check out a few deals . :)

Great reviews, but the main thing that interested me was the use of an application for the Keeper role, so it becomes cooperative, and everyone gets to play a character (vs. running the game). Apparently it also helps quite a bit with the game setup (which was supposed to be a real chore in the 1st edition).

I know you have to buy additional campaigns through the app, etc., but it still looks like a lot of gameplay-for-the-buck. It also sounded like using "tech" doesn't really dilute the board game experience, it's very complimenting, and the extra ambience from the music, narration, sounds like a ton of fun (we'll probably AirPlay to a TV).

IMG_6293-3.JPG

• Love
Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Amazon had a big sale on board games on Friday, picked up the 2nd edition Mansions of Madness, 1/2 price ($50 off) - it's under tree #2 (don't ask ... :D). We were actually up in NC for Thanksgiving, but I took a minute to check out a few deals . :)

Great reviews, but the main thing that interested me was the use of an application for the Keeper role, so it becomes cooperative, and everyone gets to play a character (vs. running the game). Apparently it also helps quite a bit with the game setup (which was supposed to be a real chore in the 1st edition).

I know you have to buy additional campaigns through the app, etc., but it still looks like a lot of gameplay-for-the-buck. It also sounded like using "tech" doesn't really dilute the board game experience, it's very complimenting, and the extra ambience from the music, narration, sounds like a ton of fun (we'll probably AirPlay to a TV).

View attachment 880267
Nice! I assure that you will love it! A couple of rules are a bit convoluted, but the game flows like a champ. You can also play the same scenarios over and over, there are always some differences between gameplays so before you buy any expansion or scenario you have tens of hours of fun assures.
As a matter of fact, I played it on Friday with my wife, one of my kids, and a friend. We lost. The monsters won. Big time. I mean, the Earth is no more!

• Haha
Reactions: D.T.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
BTW, I'm planning to not open the game until Christmas, I'm heads down in code/work, have back-to-back weekend car events, going to Universal to hang out with the Grinch for 5 days, then it's Xmas Eve! So there's not even time to open/learn/play until the Christmas break anyway :)

Any "must have" expansions I can pass on to Santa?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
BTW, I'm planning to not open the game until Christmas, I'm heads down in code/work, have back-to-back weekend car events, going to Universal to hang out with the Grinch for 5 days, then it's Xmas Eve! So there's not even time to open/learn/play until the Christmas break anyway :)

Any "must have" expansions I can pass on to Santa?

I like Streets of Arkham, however I'd suggest to just stay with the base game for the first few games as expansions add new elements and rules.

Reactions: D.T.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
My family got me "Pandemic Rapid Response." We haven't played it yet, but if it's like Pandemic, it'll be fun.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

View attachment 880267

Finally getting around to setting this up today, wow, fantastic components, all the cards/boards are have a nice coated finish, map boards and support tokens are super thick, figures are super fun (yikes, Star Spawn o_O )

Lots of rules, but mostly because options in the game are really diverse so lots of actions/events/etc., to cover.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Monopoly used to be a firm favourite - we played it a lot when we were older children and as young teenagers; then, as a kid, I played the obvious 'snakes & ladders', and we - my brothers & I also played what we called "Ludo" quite a bit with a favourite cousin.

"Cluedo" was another game we loved (I think Americans call it "Clue"), played endlessly with that same cousin with whom we were close.
Only like Monopoly timed and love Clue. Haven't played in so long. Also like Sorry and Life. Like almost any card game. Favorites are Phase 10 and Mille Bornes.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Finally getting around to setting this up today, wow, fantastic components, all the cards/boards are have a nice coated finish, map boards and support tokens are super thick, figures are super fun (yikes, Star Spawn o_O )

Lots of rules, but mostly because options in the game are really diverse so lots of actions/events/etc., to cover.

The production quality of MoM 2E is quite impressive indeed. Wait until you gotta fight the Star Spawn...
Let me know how the play actually goes. Truth be told, with few exceptions (make sure to do the phases in order, etc.) even if you mess a rule or two it's not a huge deal. Messing a few rules might make the game less balanced (=easier or harder), but it shouldn't ruin the fun. Now, don't do like me during a game of Eldritch Horror in which I read a rule in a totally incorrect way and made the game length actually... infinite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.