Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2022
What are the books you think everyone should read in their lifetime?

I'll start with the book I think everyone should read: Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.

This book will change your perspective on life and society itself, I think it should be studied in every high school. Its size can be intimidating to those who are not used to read a lot, but the story is compelling and it's a page-turner.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Neuromancer by William Gibson.

The daddy of all cyberpunk novels. It defines a near future where the net is pervasive, corporate greed runs rampant, and the menace of AI weaves its devious way into a strange cast of characters. Has to be read twice, as it has a lingo of its own. All the more compelling as it was written long before the creation of the internet.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Nineteen Eighty-Four (Orwell)
-I try to read this every year because it both was prescient and remains highly relevant.

The Periodic Table (Levi)
-Disproves the trope that the humanities and STEM are incompatible.

Getting to Yes (Fisher, Ury, Patton)
-Yes, it's nonfiction but you'll discover how to do something useful that will help you throughout your entire life.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I do not have any specific title that everybody should read. But I believe everybody should read one book on a topic that the reader finds interesting, from the Edgar Cayce literature (Association for Research and Enlightement) aka A.R.E.
The Readings is an enormous library that cover a wide variety of topics, that he gave while in an unconscious state.

Reactions: Lioness~

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Plato's Republic. Read it in high school, and then read it again this year. There's so much that's still relevant today, especially the allegory of the cave. There are just so many different layers to it, which I find fascinating.

Outsmart Your Brain by Daniel T. Willingham. I've read it twice now, too. Sure, you probably have learning down to a system, but he suggests so many good approaches that I've started to use myself.

Also, Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario. I won't go into the details because it'd likely stir up some sort of political discussion that would get people banned, but this is probably one of the most powerful pieces of literature I've read. Everyone needs to read it. Doesn't matter how old you are or what your political views are. Just read it, please.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A fascinating thread title, one to which I would like to give some thought.

This is because the books that I would have recommended (nay, not just recommended, but insisted upon, with all of the adamant certainty of widely read youth) when younger, are not always the same as those I would recommend now.

And some of the writers I liked (and sometimes, even admired) when younger, I now find that I like some of them a lot less, now.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
The Accidental Superpower, Peter Zeihan
A slightly wonky, but eye-opening study of how the United States became the superpower it did. It covers history, geography, natural resources, civics/government, transportation/rivers, religion, ethnicity, demographics, energy resources, energy use, climate, even water tables. I've read it twice and may be diving in again soon.

Future Shock really made a big impression on me, but it's probably badly outdated now.

The Anarchist's Cookbook; a personal favorite and may be useful again in the near future. ;)

Reactions: Chuckeee

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Animal Farm by George Orwell.

This is a brilliant book - both as a gripping story and as an extraordinarily insightful work of political philosophy - and is written in an exquisitely clear and beautiful prose; close to flawless.

(I'm writing a post, not using emojis, to respond, ha ha)

I agree Animal Farm is brilliant, especially for anybody familiar with Soviet history. Further, I think Orwell is one of the 20th Century's greatest authors, with a mastery of fiction, nonfiction, and expository writing that is coupled with a crystalline, concise writing style. If he were alive today, I'm sure his take on the current world would be incisive, cutting, and influential.

Sarah_Baker

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2023
How to Win Friends And Influence People - Dale Carnegie

If you want to become a more social being and learn how to be liked by people more than usual and how to gain their trust, this is a must read!

Reactions: scubachap

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2022
(I'm writing a post, not using emojis, to respond, ha ha)

I agree Animal Farm is brilliant, especially for anybody familiar with Soviet history. Further, I think Orwell is one of the 20th Century's greatest authors, with a mastery of fiction, nonfiction, and expository writing that is coupled with a crystalline, concise writing style. If he were alive today, I'm sure his take on the current world would be incisive, cutting, and influential.
Now that sounds like a nice exercise, and I asked ChatGPT about it:

George Orwell was deeply concerned about totalitarianism, surveillance, propaganda, and the abuse of power. He wrote extensively about these themes in works like "1984" and "Animal Farm." If Orwell were alive today, he might have significant concerns about the state of the world.

He might express worries about the erosion of privacy due to advancements in technology, increased surveillance, and the potential for governments or corporations to abuse their power through mass data collection. Orwell might also be critical of the manipulation of information and the rise of fake news or propaganda in the media.

Additionally, he might be alarmed by political trends that threaten democratic principles, censorship issues, and the growing polarization and divisiveness within societies. Orwell would likely continue to advocate for truth, freedom of speech, and the importance of holding those in power accountable.

His writings often emphasized the dangers of unchecked authority and the need for vigilance in defending individual liberties. In today's context, Orwell might urge people to remain vigilant against any encroachments on civil liberties and to actively engage in protecting democratic values.

Victor Hugo, known for his deep concern for social issues and his advocacy for justice and human rights, might have diverse opinions about the present world. His views would likely reflect his compassion for the marginalized, his passion for progress, and his belief in the power of art and literature to bring about change.

He might appreciate certain advancements in technology and society that have improved living standards and facilitated communication. However, he might also express concern about persistent social inequalities, environmental challenges, and the ways in which power structures still oppress the vulnerable.

Given his dedication to speaking out against injustice, Hugo might find both hope and disappointment in the current state of affairs. He might encourage people to continue fighting for equality, justice, and the betterment of society through activism and the arts, urging us to never give up on striving for a more compassionate and fair world.

André Gide was a complex thinker and writer known for his exploration of individuality, moral choices, and the complexities of human nature. His views on the current world would likely be nuanced and multifaceted.

Gide valued authenticity, questioning societal norms, and embracing individuality. He might appreciate the increasing acceptance of diverse identities and the ongoing discussions around personal freedom and self-expression in today's world.

However, he might also express concerns about the superficiality of modern life, the prevalence of materialism, and the ways in which societal pressures limit true self-discovery and authenticity. Gide was interested in the tension between societal expectations and personal desires, and he might critique the conformity that can still exist in contemporary culture.

Furthermore, Gide was known for his openness to new experiences and ideas. He might appreciate the rapid exchange of information and the accessibility of knowledge in the digital age. Yet, he might also caution against the overwhelming amount of information and the potential for it to overshadow deeper contemplation and introspection.

Overall, Gide's thoughts on the current world would likely involve a balance between acknowledging progress in individual freedoms and expression while also highlighting the challenges and complexities that persist in the pursuit of true self-discovery and authenticity amidst societal influences.
Well... as for Gide and Hugo I think ChatGPT may be correct, of course is a general "guess" by a LLM.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
...the net is pervasive, corporate greed runs rampant, and the menace of AI weaves its devious way...
I can just look outside if I want that.

But seriously: Neuromancer is a brilliant novel.

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Whenever I think of Les Misérables my teeth start hurting! Ugh! ;)

I'm going to suggest Primo Levi - best to read more than one and doing them in the right order before you come to The Drowned and Saved makes that last one even more powerful.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
The One Device by Bryan Merchant is practically required reading for visitors of this forum. You cannot call yourself and Apple fan having not read it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm going to suggest Primo Levi -
An excellent suggestion.
best to read more than one and doing them in the right order
Another excellent suggestion; at the very least, I would recommend that you start with "If This Is A Man" (the first book), before proceeding to his other works.
before you come to The Drowned and Saved makes that last one even more powerful.
Agreed.

The entire oeuvre is moving, gripping and powerful, but, becomes even so when read in the correct sequence.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, very good plan...
Very much so.
(Edit - also just seen that the Periodic Table was recommended further up the thread!)
I think that The Periodic Table - which, while brilliant, is not Primo Levi's best work, to my mind - is best read between If This Is A Man (I was lucky in that this was the first work of his I had read, and to say that I was absolutely bowled over is an understatement, I have rarely read anything as powerful) and The Drowned and the Saved.

Actually, if you must read - or confine yourself to two of his works - I would (strongly, passionately) recommend If This Is A Man and The Drowned and the Saved.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli. It’s a collection of 100 short (2-3 pages each) explanations of logical fallacies that people use frequently. I read it cover-to-cover, then stated over, finishing the second reading before the book was due back at the library. Be sure to check the notes in the back. Some of them have more info that’s just as interesting as what was in the chapter.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Duplicate post (see below).

The message seemed to hang, then - annoyingly - cheerfully replicated itself.

Anyway, at the risk of repeating myself, Animal Farm, by George Orwell.

A masterpiece, of both political philosophy and pellucid prose.

A book I might have considered selling my soul to have been able to say that I wrote it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.