Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Now that sounds like a nice exercise, and I asked ChatGPT about it:

Well... as for Gide and Hugo I think ChatGPT may be correct, of course is a general "guess" by a LLM.

Interesting. What prompts did you use for the queries?

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I'm going to suggest Primo Levi
Primo Levi

A book about Primo Levi I enjoyed was The Double Bond. The Double Bond is an excellent biography of Levi, as long as you aren't looking for a dry recitation of facts laid out in a linear format. Carole Angier writes in a literary style that allows her to give the text a more interesting structure and flow than most biographies. And so, Angier has made The Double Bond much more than a summary of events in Levi's life. Instead, she helps readers understand how Turin, the people of Turin, and, later, Primo's friends, classmates, imprisoners, other prisoners, co-workers, and spouse shaped his psychology and work.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A book about Primo Levi I enjoyed was The Double Bond. The Double Bond is an excellent biography of Levi, as long as you aren't looking for a dry recitation of facts laid out in a linear format. Carole Angier writes in a literary style that allows her to give the text a more interesting structure and flow than most biographies. And so, Angier has made The Double Bond much more than a summary of events in Levi's life. Instead, she helps readers understand how Turin, the people of Turin, and, later, Primo's friends, classmates, imprisoners, other prisoners, co-workers, and spouse shaped his psychology and work.
I hadn't known that a biography existed.

Thank you.

DaPhox

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Eric van lustbaders Ninja series.

Fascinating read about gym fitted ninja guys & gals with fast swords & ancient secret killing techniques. Hot steamy ninja bedroom scenes with surprising deception & kills.

A must for philosphical thinkers & searchers for that narrow path…

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Many thanks for this - it’ll be on my list.

Reactions: KaliYoni

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just placed a reservation on this work (thankfully, it appeared on their index) at my local library.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I’ve thought about this question and I have to say I find it really difficult to answer, just because it’s so individual. But I’ll go with two fiction and two non fiction…

The Count of Monte Christo, by Alexandre Dumas
The Player of Games, by Iain M. Banks
In Search of the Miraculous, by P.D. Ouspensky
The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle

Reactions: Lioness~

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Two books I believe should be required reading in the US: The Elements of Style [E.B. White] and Write It Right.

We in the age where everyone and their monkey can express themselves in writing. Doing so in a way that makes communication not only clearer, but more enjoyable is a must. If I had a nickle for every butchery of the language I read in a high schooler's essay...
e31ac0918c235d2618bdfea962e33167.gif

Reactions: rhett7660

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Two books I believe should be required reading in the US: The Elements of Style [E.B. White] and Write It Right.

We in the age where everyone and their monkey can express themselves in writing. Doing so in a way that makes communication not only clearer, but more enjoyable is a must. If I had a nickle for every butchery of the language I read in a high schooler's essay...
e31ac0918c235d2618bdfea962e33167.gif

This pretty much sums up the internet...

Someone already mentioned "1984" and "Animal Farm". I had to read both of them in school, and it since I had to, I didn't enjoy it as much as I did when I read both of them a few years ago. 451 is another one that I think everyone should read.

I know these have already been mentioned before, just adding my support for them!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This pretty much sums up the internet...

Someone already mentioned "1984" and "Animal Farm".
Both brilliant.

They were brilliant when first published, and they are still brilliant.
I had to read both of them in school, and it since I had to, I didn't enjoy it as much as I did when I read both of them a few years ago.
Fair enough; compulsion is one thing, but how else to introduce (a great many - granted, not all) kids to some of what is considered great literature, otherwise?
451 is another one that I think everyone should read.
Agreed.
I know these have already been mentioned before, just adding my support for them!
I have mentioned them endlessly, and will never not recommend them; that is how good I think they are.

Reactions: rhett7660

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Someone already mentioned "1984" and "Animal Farm". I had to read both of them in school, and it since I had to, I didn't enjoy it as much as I did when I read both of them a few years ago.
A lot of required reading from school didn't make sense back when I read it the first time, but makes so much sense as an adult. I had no point of reference for most of the concepts back in high school.

It doesn't make sense to have high school kids read those books making political commentaries because nearly every high school kid knows nothing about politics. They don't even have the right to vote yet, so politics isn't big in their circles.

Shakespeare, OTOH, is ideal reading material for high schoolers. Most of his works is about revenge or love. Teenagers can understand that. Romeo and Juliet is practically standard reading in high school because kids understand the my parents do not approve of my boyfriend/girlfriend😭, but I don't care😒 mentality.😁

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A lot of required reading from school didn't make sense back when I read it the first time, but makes so much sense as an adult. I had no point of reference for most of the concepts back in high school.
Very true.
It doesn't make sense to have high school kids read those books making political commentaries because nearly every high school kid knows nothing about politics. They don't even have the right to vote yet, so politics isn't big in their circles.
I was an exception, perhaps an exception that proves the rule; I was (and am) passionate about history - and, as a consequence of that, developed an almost obsessive interest in politics from the age of around, thirteen, and was insanely well informed about this; granted, that wasn't usual, and was considered even less usual for a girl.

My parents, bless them, simply (and strongly) supported every intellectual endeavour and interest of mine (and those of my brothers) and supplied conversation and books - and attempted answers - as required.
Shakespeare, OTOH, is ideal reading material for high schoolers. Most of his works is about revenge or love. Teenagers can understand that. Romeo and Juliet is practically standard reading in high school because kids understand the my parents do not approve of my boyfriend/girlfriend😭, but I don't care😒 mentality.😁
Paradoxically, and precisely because I thought that this was a load of soppy nonsense as a teen, and had no interest whatsoever in any of this, I didn't "get" Romeo and Juliet until (embarrassingly) well into adulthood.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
One that I thought of later which should definitely be on this list..

The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran

I’m generally no great respecter of political or propagandist themes, so I thought it would be good to include a book on wisdom in various areas.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This was one of the books that awaited me in the library yesterday, which means that it shall form part of my Christmas reading.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One that I thought of later which should definitely be on this list..

The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran

I’m generally no great respecter of political or propagandist themes, so I thought it would be good to include a book on wisdom in various areas.
A superb book, and excellent recommendation.

A very good friend sent it to me as a very kind and thoughtful gift after the death of my father.

kleo_82

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2024
Canada
The Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro (short description without major spoilers). Published in 1989.

Discover fascinating implications about the relationship between the individual and society, between emotions and the rational mind, living your life vs. living a facade that is living life through someone else.

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
The Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro (short description without major spoilers). Published in 1989.

Discover fascinating implications about the relationship between the individual and society, between emotions and the rational mind, living your life vs. living a facade that is living life through someone else.
A great read - one of my favourite books - very subtle, gentle and sad. Try Never Let me Go afterwards.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

A terrific book, subtle (as already pointed out by @scubachap), gentle, and wonderfully understated, an exquisite work, bitter sweet and elegiac.

Reactions: kleo_82

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Reading many of the news replies etc here, maybe The Art Of Always Being Right, by Schopenhauer.

In the possibly vain hope that perhaps some people might have a bit of self-realisation moment... though it's entirely possible some will take it at face value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.