Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
I have a M1 12.9 IPP with 2 TB of storage and most of the time it just sits there. I rarely pick it over my M1 MBP. It's a nice device, great screen, but since the M1 came to laptops I'm really struggling to find a use for the iPad. Taking notes is about the only time my iPad has an advantage. Anyone else at this point?

*Edit to correct storage capacity*

Last edited:
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
Not if you want the 12.9" excellent display. Not overkill for me in the least. In fact, I'll never again buy a smaller iPad and have zero regrets with this one.
That makes sense, but that's where I'm stuck. Content consumption for me isn't a plus. (not knocking you) just in the same spot with the iPad.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Content consumption for a "Pro" model seems a bit over kill.

Depends on your priorities. Personally, I prefer the tablet form factor so between my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 and M1 MacBook Air, the iPad gets a lot more use.

To me, Pro is just branding. The asking price is certainly high especially for high storage cellular models. However, compared to useful life and utility, for me the iPad is much better entertainment bang for the buck versus say a cruise or a Disney vacation.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I can definitely relate.

I sat out upgrading my 2017 iPP 12.9" because I couldn't justify the cost of the newer 12.9" when the software itself wasn't really improving greatly enough to change my usage. When I bought into my old 12.9" iPP the pricing was low - I had gotten a discount from Verizon on it and basically paid $850 for it (cellular, with 256gb storage). Now, an equally spec'd 11" cellular goes for $1050 and a 12.9" goes for $1300. Adding case and pencil costs to either one just put the upgrade into a range that wasn't palatable for me given what I was using it for even though I have the disposable income to buy one.

Eventually I ended up getting a Surface Pro 9 and a Mini 6. The old iPP is just sitting on the side now.

It's not entirely the devices' fault, it's me and my workflows that result in a lack of needing one LOL. An iPad Air might be in my future at some point as a slightly larger content consumption device than the mini, but for now I'm good with what I have.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
I can definitely relate.

I sat out upgrading my 2017 iPP 12.9" because I couldn't justify the cost of the newer 12.9" when the software itself wasn't really improving greatly enough to change my usage. When I bought into my old 12.9" iPP the pricing was low - I had gotten a discount from Verizon on it and basically paid $850 for it (cellular, with 256gb storage). Now, an equally spec'd 11" cellular goes for $1050 and a 12.9" goes for $1300. Adding case and pencil costs to either one just put the upgrade into a range that wasn't palatable for me given what I was using it for even though I have the disposable income to buy one.

Eventually I ended up getting a Surface Pro 9 and a Mini 6. The old iPP is just sitting on the side now.

It's not entirely the devices' fault, it's me and my workflows that result in a lack of needing one LOL. An iPad Air might be in my future at some point as a slightly larger content consumption device than the mini, but for now I'm good with what I have.
I love the touch form, but that doesn't replace everything else.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I have 11" iPP and MBA. For some periods, I got bored using iPad and never touch it (except for charging). The other times, I return to use it for entertainment, on-bed reading even traveling. So, for me, the iPad is just cycle of bored and excitement. On the other hand, an MBA is always with me to study and do some work-related stuff.

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
Just being lazy on the sofa and with the iPad pro in my hand reading this thread. My iPad is a good complement to my mac mini. Browsing, reading, media consumption, and a few times as a work tool. The Pro is just another label to justify the price. Next time I will buy the cheapest one version.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I have a M1 12.9 IPP with 1 TB of storage and most of the time it just sits there. I rarely pick it over my M1 MBP. It's a nice device, great screen, but since the M1 came to laptops I'm really struggling to find a use for the iPad. Taking notes is about the only time my iPad has an advantage. Anyone else at this point?
No, I use my iPads a lot, daily and for different things and in different places than my laptop.

But if you’re not using it, maybe just sell it. Personally, I find that if I have unused devices after a while they make me feel bad just sitting there. Like I wasted money. So I sell them.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I have a 2020 IPP and a M1 MBA. I rarely use my MBA (apart from work when I have to - due to weird security restrictions) - I always use my IPP. I much prefer the IPP form factor, it‘s more “personal” to me - the way you interact with it is “easier”. Hard to explain. I like the versatility - I could be typing something and then have an idea and want to quickly jot it down and I prefer the pen for that.

Reactions: outlawarth

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
To me, Pro is just branding. The asking price is certainly high especially for high storage cellular models. However, compared to useful life and utility, for me the iPad is much better entertainment bang for the buck versus say a cruise or a Disney vavacation.
Imagine if Apple called it the iPad Plus or Ultra... similarly to the iPhone Plus branding they did back in the day. Users knew Plus models meant they were getting premium features and there wasn’t any issues surrounding it. Folks criticize the price, but that comes with the territory in regards to Apple.

But attaching Pro moniker allows debate among the tech community... from the MacBook Pro that has only 8GB RAM to users criticizes the lack of "Pro Apps" for the iPad Pro. Maybe Apple does this to create buzz , maybe discourse... because it surely generates conflict.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isamilis

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
For my use, iPads are really only good as XL iPhones for content consumption and casual browsing. Everything else is better on a Mac, as you have found. I don’t do much drawing or gaming.

Have you tried the iPad Mini? It’s perfect as a couch computer that compliments your phone and Mac. Your current iPad can be a little big and cumbersome for this role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isamilis

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I have a M1 12.9 IPP with 1 TB of storage and most of the time it just sits there. I rarely pick it over my M1 MBP. It's a nice device, great screen, but since the M1 came to laptops I'm really struggling to find a use for the iPad. Taking notes is about the only time my iPad has an advantage. Anyone else at this point?
That is what my exact situation. 😊 iPad pro with M processor cannot be used in full processor benefits for my work. Analytic work must be done in Mac or iMac due to iPad Pro limitation: apps and the OS.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Content consumption for a "Pro" model seems a bit over kill.
Unfortunately there is no non-Pro 13” model, and also only the Pro has both portrait and landscape stereo. Similarly for mini-LED, one of whose main benefits is for watching TV/movies in low lighting.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
For my use, iPads are really only good as XL iPhones for content consumption and casual browsing. Everything else is better on a Mac, as you have found. I don’t do much drawing or gaming.

Have you tried the iPad Mini? It’s perfect as a couch computer that compliments your phone and Mac. Your current iPad can be a little big and cumbersome for this role.
I have the mini 6. I don't use that much either. When I'm at home I have a lap desk and that's where my MacBook Pro sits. I'm thinking about leaving my MBP plugged into an external display and just using jump desktop if I want to use Pixelmator pro or LRC just to really try and get back into my iPad again. A 2018 IPP was my primary personal computer before I got the M1 MBP.

Reactions: IJBrekke

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
The iPad is far more useful to me than a laptop. The form factor (no desk “required” or being propped up on a couch) and its far more utilitarian in its handling. For example, I use it with music creating plug ins and it’s my “rig” when I play. The camera on the back is very useful when needing to record long acts etc and not have to transfer the footage via Airdrop. My point is, the iPad (11” pro 2tb) can “become” a lot of things… if you want it to. The laptop will always just be a laptop. (Ironically, I posted a thread here a few years ago declaring how boring the laptop was compared to the iPad. Hoo boy, the sh*tstorm of responses I received. lol)

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Using the Mini 6 on a daily bases as my sofa surfer device for reading, media consumption and light daily tasks. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DesertN0mad

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Yup, been in the same spot since I got my m2 air last year. My pro barely gets touched, the only reason I keep it is because it fits in my lunch bag that I travel with for work (I drive trains and gone from home for 24-40 hours, so its a big lunch kit lol). Between that aspect and the cellular connection, I decided to keep it around.

Still, ive been tempted to see if there is a spot to fit my MacBook instead for work and then I may finally just sell the iPad

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
The iPad is far more useful to me than a laptop. The form factor (no desk “required” or being propped up on a couch) and its far more utilitarian in its handling. For example, I use it with music creating plug ins and it’s my “rig” when I play. The camera on the back is very useful when needing to record long acts etc and not have to transfer the footage via Airdrop. My point is, the iPad (11” pro 2tb) can “become” a lot of things… if you want it to. The laptop will always just be a laptop. (Ironically, I posted a thread here a few years ago declaring how boring the laptop was compared to the iPad. Hoo boy, the sh*tstorm of responses I received. lol)
I definitely am not looking for an argument, just new inspiration for the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.