Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Well its a good device when you take a cr@p but its also dangerous because you can stay too much time there and get hemorrhoids like i did.

• Haha
Reactions: Nozuka

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I have a M1 12.9 IPP with 2 TB of storage and most of the time it just sits there. I rarely pick it over my M1 MBP. It's a nice device, great screen, but since the M1 came to laptops I'm really struggling to find a use for the iPad. Taking notes is about the only time my iPad has an advantage. Anyone else at this point?

*Edit to correct storage capacity*
I do have a laptop, but it's honestly pretty bad. My iPad takes care of, like, 98% of my usage, and I use the laptop for anything the iPad doesn't already do. However in your case they're equal in performance, maybe you could benefit from selling the mac?

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
It always amazes me how different our individual use cases are. I LOVE my iPad - and in fact when I left one on an airplane, I went directly to the store to buy a new one. I am in business and in school, so I have tons of uses.

I have two work laptops (Dell 9430 and the MBA 15 M2). I use them for work stuff - apps and content management and manipulation (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, etc...).

I use the iPad for reading Apple News, newspapers, books, a couple of games, school work (via Canvas), note taking and document reviews when traveling and I do not want to boot up a laptop (Notability). I access all of my docs via OneDrive and Dropbox. I also use it for business to take notes when attending work meetings - Notability converts right to PDF which is accessible on my laptop later.

Watch movies, YouTube, F1 TV etc.

The form and function are perfect without using a laptop...

Regards,
R

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I have a 5th gen iPad Air and I love it. It’s my media machine, especially for reading, as I can’t comfortably hold books in bed and I love the Libby app for checking out library books. I don’t like reading on my phone due to the small screen.

I have an M2 MBA and since I lost my WFH job (medical issues, badly scratched cornea) I hardly touch my computer. It’s a fantastic machine but everything I do now can be done oh my iPhone or iPad.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t think I’d personally own a laptop and tablet of similar sizes unless I needed a desktop OS AND a specific tablet-only feature such as a stylus (which I do, so I do own a laptop and 12.9” but my laptop is bigger so it fortunately further differentiates the devices’ functions).
Having touch input isn’t a compelling enough reason alone for me to have and use two ~13” devices, because 1) touch tends to be more of a preference than a need for me, and an occasional one at that, so it’s expendable. And 2) I prefer smaller devices in the touch tablet form factor anyway. I don’t find anything bigger than an iPad Mini comfortable to hold for long periods. And to me if I’m not holding it then I might as well have a laptop.
I don’t really use my 12.9 as a tablet except for when I’m using the Pencil. Otherwise it’s used with a keyboard. So if not for the Pencil it might as well be a laptop. I use my iPad Mini however as a tablet all the time.

But if you don’t want to get rid of your iPad, you could use it for some dedicated function and/or in a dedicated place, say on a stand or mounted to use as a stationary tablet/TV someplace where it would be useful.

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I have a M1 12.9 IPP with 2 TB of storage and most of the time it just sits there. I rarely pick it over my M1 MBP. It's a nice device, great screen, but since the M1 came to laptops I'm really struggling to find a use for the iPad. Taking notes is about the only time my iPad has an advantage. Anyone else at this point?

Why did you get 2TB in the first place?

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I own an M2 MacBook Air 13", and an M1 iPad Pro 11". I use both a lot, and I am definitely not bored.

The iPad is my main media consumption device for when I'm on the train (which is... a lot of hours). The screen is fabulous and a non-Pro would never be an option. It's also my sofa device, where I browse these forums, read the news, and chat with friends on various messaging apps. So it's being used several hours a day.

The MacBook is usually at my office desk with an external 27" screen (yes, I could as well get a Mac Mini, which I did own at some point, but for the odd occasion where I do need my Mac to me mobile, it's still better to own a laptop) and I do "more serious stuff" with it.

In the end, whether you're bored is a matter of what you decide to do with your iPad. Try changing the background, add widgets, make it look fun.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009

I’m exactly the same as you! Got it for Christmas 2021 the cellular model. Used it for a month and then gave up till the start of this year and had to really force myself to use it. I’m happy with it from a web browsing, photos and basic email ability but that is it really. I just bought the studio display which i’ve had a week with the plan to make the iPad my main machine for personal use and its better but its still really awkward and a bit goofy doing the basics like excel and even window sizing on external display is as well. The files app doesn’t work great. As an example, i want to copy my iCloud folder and paste it to my ipad local drive and it just doesn’t work! Keeps timing out which is driving me mad.

Factor in the keyboard case and Apple Pencil and I’m at 2k which would have bought me a very capable Mac laptop.

iPads were great with the instant on and fast SSD when computers were still mechanical drive but we are on SSD, I don’t see the benefit of the iPad.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’m exactly the same as you! Got it for Christmas 2021 the cellular model. Used it for a month and then gave up till the start of this year and had to really force myself to use it. I’m happy with it from a web browsing, photos and basic email ability but that is it really. I just bought the studio display which i’ve had a week with the plan to make the iPad my main machine for personal use and its better but its still really awkward and a bit goofy doing the basics like excel and even window sizing on external display is as well. The files app doesn’t work great. As an example, i want to copy my iCloud folder and paste it to my ipad local drive and it just doesn’t work! Keeps timing out which is driving me mad.

Factor in the keyboard case and Apple Pencil and I’m at 2k which would have bought me a very capable Mac laptop.

iPads were great with the instant on and fast SSD when computers were still mechanical drive but we are on SSD, I don’t see the benefit of the iPad.

For me, the benefit remains the form factor, tablet vs laptop. I like being able to use my M1 12.9 with the MKB and then removing it to use in tablet mode with a touch screen.

Reactions: Ludatyk

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
For me, the benefit remains the form factor, tablet vs laptop. I like being able to use my M1 12.9 with the MKB and then removing it to use in tablet mode with a touch screen.
Yeah that’s nice feature as well. I sound like i don’t like mine. I do for the very basic use but i think its a luxury and i wish i had spent the money on a laptop..

if they kept the software iPad OS but just improved some basics I’d be happy. I just tried to copy something from a text message that was written on 2 lines and the cursor on my Magic Keyboard wouldnt select it from messageS. I had to copy it from messages to notes to then select the bit i wanted.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
My ipad pro 11" I initially bought it for backyard media consumption. And doodling art. But last couple yrs it's been a glorified Logitech home theatre remote control. As I got a larger laptop for my backyard media duties. I've been contemplating using it as trade in credit for Apple stuff. But then I'm like eh it's not worth as much anymore in trade. So I might as well keep using it as glorified remote. I probably won't replace it any time soon that's for sure.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017

Take up art - without the worry over supplies. Maybe you got the knack?? I got the Pencil with mine, so I use several drawing and painting programs, instead of committing art supplies until I'm sure I'm onto something worthy. Genuine Cobalt Blue has always been expensive, but moreso nowadays because batteries. Good watercolor paper can be pricey, too.

I also use my iPad it as a digitizer tablet when I'm in a pinch, away from my full studio, to pixel-edit photos. Though I must say, Adobe's subject sensitive healing tool is astounding, so I don't have to struggle with that anymore.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
After reading all the responses I decided to give it another try. Mostly just for web browsing, I’ve used jump desktop some for when I want to move files or use Lightroom Classic.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

I'm at that point, but I've been at that point ever since I bought my iPad. It's my notes device first and foremost, and sometimes my recipe book while cooking. Any time I want to browse the internet I go to my phone or my MacBook. If I need write something (personally or for work) I want a proper keyboard and a more versatile interface (i.e. a Mac).

Even for consuming media I generally prefer my phone for audio or my Mac for video. The iPad is a very awkward and limited device for most tasks, but as a digital paper pad it's incredible.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
After reading all the responses I decided to give it another try. Mostly just for web browsing, I’ve used jump desktop some for when I want to move files or use Lightroom Classic.
Can't believe I almost forgot this one, I keep an older Ipad in a LifeProof case out in the garage, loaded up with service manuals for my tractors and Porsches. Basically PDFs. But I can also connect it to my OBDII dongle to read codes and program some features.

Wifey uses hers to help learn her Dressage Tests, carry it out the the riding ring and plugs it into the PA System to read the moves out in order. Specialized app for that, I can tell ya.

There are lots of hobby support roles it might fill, though app support might be frustrating.

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
Recycling two m1 Mac minis for Apple store credit, then purchasing a 12.9 IPP to compliment my IP mini. Primary usage is reading, PDF editing, media consumption. A family member is completing a Master's in computer science using a 12.9 IPP, while suggesting the IPP has all the applications needed for graduate student study, and leaving the m1 MBP at home.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Been making it a point to use my Air 5 for more than just library books on the Libby app. Turns out I love it. Bigger screen is so much better than my 15PM and I love these forums on the big screen. I’m starting to wonder what I was doing without it haha

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Recycling two m1 Mac minis for Apple store credit, then purchasing a 12.9 IPP to compliment my IP mini. Primary usage is reading, PDF editing, media consumption. A family member is completing a Master's in computer science using a 12.9 IPP, while suggesting the IPP has all the applications needed for graduate student study, and leaving the m1 MBP at home.
I am finishing up a masters in the same, and it is not at all possible to do this with an IPP. Computer programming and all of the tools that are needed (VMs, python and other language installations, etc.)....it just can't be done.

I suppose if all of the resources were external and the IPP was used as a remote viewer - I guess that could work, but why?

BTW, even the M1 MB is a problem. Many of the VM programs and projects in my program needed Intel processors (or at least that is what they said).

R

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
There is counter argument saying NO the IPP M1 cannot handle the tasks of a computer scientist graduate student. We addressed those opinions in the academic setting with other graduate students and professors. The prudent course is to allow others to carry their thoughts and pass by.
I am finishing up a masters in the same, and it is not at all possible to do this with an IPP. Computer programming and all of the tools that are needed (VMs, python and other language installations, etc.)....it just can't be done.

I suppose if all of the resources were external and the IPP was used as a remote viewer - I guess that could work, but why?

BTW, even the M1 MB is a problem. Many of the VM programs and projects in my program needed Intel processors (or at least that is what they said).

You are in some different place with your computer usage, which is to be expected. Your fluency with the IPP M1 has brought different results. If you are near Arizona State University, we may certainly collaborate to reconcile the short comings you have expressed. There's no padding in my comments, so the matter stands, you say no and I say okay for you. There is counter argument saying NO the IPP M1 cannot handle the tasks of a computer scientist graduate student. We addressed those opinions in the academic setting with other graduate students and professors. The prudent course is to allow others to carry their thoughts and pass by.

Last edited:

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
I'm at that point, but I've been at that point ever since I bought my iPad. It's my notes device first and foremost, and sometimes my recipe book while cooking. Any time I want to browse the internet I go to my phone or my MacBook. If I need write something (personally or for work) I want a proper keyboard and a more versatile interface (i.e. a Mac).

Even for consuming media I generally prefer my phone for audio or my Mac for video. The iPad is a very awkward and limited device for most tasks, but as a digital paper pad it's incredible.
Funny, since I posted this, a couple days later I’ve used my IPad everyday. I think others perspective helped. There are still some things that annoy me, but with jump desktop I’m good.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I don’t get bored or disappointed with my iPads because I know that for me they are consumption devices. I have no issues with them being consumption devices because that’s what I do on all my devices including my Mac. I work from home but I have to use a work issued laptop for my job. In my personal life I don’t do any intensive computing tasks. I have a Mac because there are some rare occasions where I want to edit some documents or do another task which is better suited to a laptop. Outside of that I’m using my Mac for the same basic computing tasks I use my ipads or iPhone for. I like having similar devices with different screen sizes so I can choose which device is more convenient at any particular time.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Personally can't really switch to the iPad for most things, because it feels too limited.
Even just browsing the web, i miss Firefox with all the extensions you can't have on iOS.
Or sitting here writing this response with the MBA on my lap, it is just a better experience than doing the same with the Magic Keyboard. Or using the onscreen Keyboard...

Pretty much why i didn't have an iPad anymore for the longest time.
I now finally have one again, to use for sheet music / piano learning apps.
But that is all i use it for.

Bought a 2nd hand Air, but might get the bigger Air next year, when i move on to Fullpage Sheet Music.
But a Pro would definitely be overkill for me.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002

Jonr515,

Maybe it's time to sell the M1 12.9 IPP?!

richmlow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.