Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
Well I received my Bose 700s yesterday. I compared them to my XM3s an I’m pretty jazzed with the B700 First the ear cups are smaller than the XM3. But they fit my ear very well. So here’s the weird thing although the XM3 have a larger cup I was more comfortable with the Bose. The leather is so soft and for some reason they didn’t make my ears heat up like the XM3. On the XM3 I get some pressure on the lower rear cup that annoys me after a few hours. I did not get the same “pressure” while using the B700 although it was just one night. I tested the XMs for three days while driving across country last month. I’ll be using the Bose this week as we take another cross country trip. I know most people care about airplane use but I like driving.

The Bose look and feel smaller they even appear lighter. I can lay my head down on these and sleep as they don’t stick out so far as XMs. I guess for me the Bose just fit better than the XMs on my head.

Sound is much louder and clearer on the Bose, with a very tight sound profile. In past XM reviews people said the XM base was great and punchy. Well maybe it’s the Bose Profile that appeals to me cause I think the B700 are much more crips in the highs and clear thumps in the lows. I could adjust the sound with the Sony EQ settings But in this first Impression no EQ is being used. Straight out of the box, the Bose sounded awesome.

Noise canceling; they both sound the same to me IMO. Turn them on and “Pow” all backgrounds sounds mute out. IMO they sound the same both work well.

Controls are better on the Bose. Ive always struggled with my XMs volume, next track swipes. I would sit the swipe, swipe, swipe and getting it right 50% of the time. Well maybe I’m trained now but the Bose gave me absolutely no issues with the swipe. Up, down, skip, pause it all worked first time without many re-swipes.

Battery life XM says 10 more hours.
Case is a push because the geometry you have to go through with the XMs. But the XM case is smaller if that matters to you.
USB C charging On both, push.

So for me and my ears, the Bose are a keeper and my XM3 will be gifted. But it could be the “New” factor so I’ll give’em A week or two.

Third day update: an annoying feature has come up. The ear cups twist/flop around much to easy. This resulted in the headset falling off unintentionally. Not an issue when sitting but bend over to pick something up and they may slide off. However I’m increasingly loving the crisp sounding highs and lows. They sound really good to me. And match with my iPhone talk is superb.

Last edited:

outsidah

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
I'll say the major thing I love about the Bose is the ability to connect to two devices which I am thinking the XM4's will do. I agree with you on the Bose being comfy, they feel lighter than the XM3s and don't make you feel like you have so much bulk (I believe they are a few grams lighter).

That being said, the Bose don't feel sturdy to me and I worry about them cracking. NC feels about the same to me, they need a real test through an airport etc before I can judge. Sound quality is about equal IMO unless we are talking phone calls where the Bose blow the XM3's away. It does feel a little strange to talk to someone while wearing NC phones, but I think they built in some kind of sidetone feature to help with that. The XM3's are unusable IMO for phone calls.

All in all, even though the Bose have some things I like about them, I will be keeping the XM3s as they have served me extremely well since I bought them and I feel no regrets. There isn't enough in the the new Bose for me to drop the $399.

Also, I'm curious to see what Sony comes up with for the XM4s.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Great reviews - thanks for posting that. I have the xm3s and am very curious about the 700s but only curious - I won’t be buying the 700s as I feel the biggest distinguishing factor will be the call quality. I don’t do calls on these so that won’t be a factor for me.

But I would like to know - any difference in comfort? Zipur mentions there’s some but I’ve read other wise? Any more thoughts?

outsidah

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Great reviews - thanks for posting that. I have the xm3s and am very curious about the 700s but only curious - I won’t be buying the 700s as I feel the biggest distinguishing factor will be the call quality. I don’t do calls on these so that won’t be a factor for me.

But I would like to know - any difference in comfort? Zipur mentions there’s some but I’ve read other wise? Any more thoughts?

Same for me regarding calls. If I am totally honest, I do feel the Bose are more comfy but would likely be something you need to rest for yourself. It wasn’t that much of a difference for me though to keep them over the XM3s.

Reactions: TorontoSS

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I'll say the major thing I love about the Bose is the ability to connect to two devices which I am thinking the XM4's will do. I agree with you on the Bose being comfy, they feel lighter than the XM3s and don't make you feel like you have so much bulk (I believe they are a few grams lighter).

That being said, the Bose don't feel sturdy to me and I worry about them cracking. NC feels about the same to me, they need a real test through an airport etc before I can judge. Sound quality is about equal IMO unless we are talking phone calls where the Bose blow the XM3's away. It does feel a little strange to talk to someone while wearing NC phones, but I think they built in some kind of sidetone feature to help with that. The XM3's are unusable IMO for phone calls.

All in all, even though the Bose have some things I like about them, I will be keeping the XM3s as they have served me extremely well since I bought them and I feel no regrets. There isn't enough in the the new Bose for me to drop the $399.

Also, I'm curious to see what Sony comes up with for the XM4s.

Well they better since it should have BT 5.0 by now. But their XB900 and XB700 both use 4.2 so who knows .... those came out this year

outsidah

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
Geez I hope so. In a bit of exciting news, Sony announced their new NC earbuds! They have BT 5.0 and would compliment my headphones nicely.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-1000xm3#product_details_default
They also just went up for preorder at Amazon! I ordered a pair.

I....don't know about those earbuds. I know everyone has their own requirements. But IMO earbuds need to stay In-The-Ear as job one. The only product that meets that need for me is/are the power beats pros. Granted they don't sound the "Best In Class" but they stay in my ear and battery life is virtually all day. So I use them as a workout, yard work or activity options. The Sony new option just doesn't do that for me. However, the geometry of a head, ear, sweat, heat, hair and head motion mean that there will never be a 1 product that makes everyone happy.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I....don't know about those earbuds. I know everyone has their own requirements. But IMO earbuds need to stay In-The-Ear as job one. The only product that meets that need for me is/are the power beats pros. Granted they don't sound the "Best In Class" but they stay in my ear and battery life is virtually all day. So I use them as a workout, yard work or activity options. The Sony new option just doesn't do that for me. However, the geometry of a head, ear, sweat, heat, hair and head motion mean that there will never be a 1 product that makes everyone happy.

I have a pair of them and they stay in the ear for me. How would you know they won’t if they aren’t out yet ? I have one as a review unit

7e26a4909aefc62403c5d42b2680331f.jpg

Reactions: whsbuss

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Geez I hope so. In a bit of exciting news, Sony announced their new NC earbuds! They have BT 5.0 and would compliment my headphones nicely.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-1000xm3#product_details_default

They also just went up for preorder at Amazon! I ordered a pair.

Yeah I know I am currently using them. Debating if I want to return the Powerbeats pros now lol. Battery life with ANC at pretty much max volume lasted me around 5 hours which isn’t bad considering they quote 6 hours.

Aliciakeystx

macrumors member
May 5, 2019
The Sonys were very lightweight and didn't bother me at all. However, they definitely felt "cheap" compared to the Bose in terms of materials and finish.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I had quite the opposite experience with the Bose 700. I really hated them and returned them after a week. I'm comparing them to the Sony XM3's and the Bose QC35 II's. The only standout feature for me was how clear phone calls were to both parties.

I found the 700's very uncomfortable, and the app is an absolute freaking joke. It never connects (this is a disaster in the Bose forums) and makes you create an account. I was so excited to get these but they are close in my opinion to the QC 35 II's and the Sony X3's.

Reactions: whsbuss

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Well I received my Bose 700s yesterday. I compared them to my XM3s an I’m pretty jazzed with the B700 First the ear cups are smaller than the XM3. But they fit my ear very well. So here’s the weird thing although the XM3 have a larger cup I was more comfortable with the Bose. The leather is so soft and for some reason they didn’t make my ears heat up like the XM3. On the XM3 I get some pressure on the lower rear cup that annoys me after a few hours. I did not get the same “pressure” while using the B700 although it was just one night. I tested the XMs for three days while driving across country last month. I’ll be using the Bose this week as we take another cross country trip. I know most people care about airplane use but I like driving.

The Bose look and feel smaller they even appear lighter. I can lay my head down on these and sleep as they don’t stick out so far as XMs. I guess for me the Bose just fit better than the XMs on my head.

Sound is much louder and clearer on the Bose, with a very tight sound profile. In past XM reviews people said the XM base was great and punchy. Well maybe it’s the Bose Profile that appeals to me cause I think the B700 are much more crips in the highs and clear thumps in the lows. I could adjust the sound with the Sony EQ settings But in this first Impression no EQ is being used. Straight out of the box, the Bose sounded awesome.

Noise canceling; they both sound the same to me IMO. Turn them on and “Pow” all backgrounds sounds mute out. IMO they sound the same both work well.

Controls are better on the Bose. Ive always struggled with my XMs volume, next track swipes. I would sit the swipe, swipe, swipe and getting it right 50% of the time. Well maybe I’m trained now but the Bose gave me absolutely no issues with the swipe. Up, down, skip, pause it all worked first time without many re-swipes.

Battery life XM says 10 more hours.
Case is a push because the geometry you have to go through with the XMs. But the XM case is smaller if that matters to you.
USB C charging On both, push.

So for me and my ears, the Bose are a keeper and my XM3 will be gifted. But it could be the “New” factor so I’ll give’em A week or two.

Third day update: an annoying feature has come up. The ear cups twist/flop around much to easy. This resulted in the headset falling off unintentionally. Not an issue when sitting but bend over to pick something up and they may slide off. However I’m increasingly loving the crisp sounding highs and lows. They sound really good to me. And match with my iPhone talk is superb.

I picked these up today. Interesting about what you say about cup size. I find that the Bose cover my ears better than the Sony’s. only got them today but not sure I prefer the sound compared to the Sony’s. Early days though.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I hate to resurrect an old post, but hate to start a new one too

Do the Bose NC700s show you to connect to a PC via USB or only 3.5mm? I want these for work calls and can’t use BT

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I hate to resurrect an old post, but hate to start a new one too

Do the Bose NC700s show you to connect to a PC via USB or only 3.5mm? I want these for work calls and can’t use BT
Glad you resurrected the thread. Just put my 700's on sale. Not sure about your question. Will check in the morning and report back.

Reactions: jjk454ss

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I sold mine, poor connection between all my apple gear, macs,ipads,iphone. Beats studio 3 with w1 chip are way better.
The QC3511 before the 700 were no better.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I sold mine, poor connection between all my apple gear, macs,ipads,iphone. Beats studio 3 with w1 chip are way better.
The QC3511 before the 700 were no better.

i have the original QC35s and they are great with my iPhone

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
So I heard to connect properly to PCs you need the Bluetooth module they have now. it's a little bluetooth dongle for your computer. I hate that you need those. I have ordered it but still hasn't arrived so unsure how it will work. can report back if it does.

Reactions: jjk454ss

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
So I heard to connect properly to PCs you need the Bluetooth module they have now. it's a little bluetooth dongle for your computer. I hate that you need those. I have ordered it but still hasn't arrived so unsure how it will work. can report back if it does.
My work PC will not allow me to install a BT module or use BT. I assume that little module from Bose won’t work either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.