Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
After over 6 months of debating if it was worth it or not, I went to Best Buy yesterday and bought the purple iPad Mini 6th Gen to supplement my 12.9 iPad Pro. I was getting tired of the weight and size of the Pro, later at night when I just want to read stuff online while on the couch or laying in bed.

I love how the iPad Mini can fit in my shorts pocket, did not realize just how tiny it was until I took it out of the box. Its a great size for late night browsing.

Anyone else have the 12.9 Pro and also a mini?

I will say I am shocked that in 2022, Facebook STILL does not have dark mode for the Facebook App, but they do on the iPhone.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I had a 5th gen iPad mini, and a MacBook Air, which both got traded in toward my 12.9” iPad Pro. I love the Pro as my primary device… but I do miss the small size of the mini for some purposes. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet to get a new one.

Reactions: C7 POWER

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I had a 5th gen iPad mini, and a MacBook Air, which both got traded in toward my 12.9” iPad Pro. I love the Pro as my primary device… but I do miss the small size of the mini for some purposes. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet to get a new one.
Best Buy dropped it to $399 this week, so I pulled the trigger. I couldnt justify $499 (Not that $399 is that much less lol) and after seeing it on sale several times on Best Buy and Amazon and always talking myself out of it, I said heck with it lol

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Best Buy dropped it to $399 this week, so I pulled the trigger. I couldnt justify $499 (Not that $399 is that much less lol) and after seeing it on sale several times on Best Buy and Amazon and always talking myself out of it, I said heck with it lol
You’ll probably either love it or hate it. If you don’t like it, you have a few days to take it back. I was out of town on release day so I didn’t get mine until a day or two later. I’d read so many negative comments that I was almost afraid to pick mine up. However, once I got it, I fell in love with it. I use it almost exclusively in landscape mode so jelly scroll isn’t an issue. I don’t notice it on the rare occasion that I work in portrait mode.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
You’ll probably either love it or hate it. If you don’t like it, you have a few days to take it back. I was out of town on release day so I didn’t get mine until a day or two later. I’d read so many negative comments that I was almost afraid to pick mine up. However, once I got it, I fell in love with it. I use it almost exclusively in landscape mode so jelly scroll isn’t an issue. I don’t notice it on the rare occasion that I work in portrait mode.
Its been 3 days, and I have not even used my iPad pro since getting it. The small form factor is so much easier to hold for basic Facebook browsing and Internet browsing. I am still getting used to the smaller font but the scrolling does not seem to bother me as much as it does other people. I just wish Facebook would give us Dark Mode on the iPad app, so annoying how messenger has it but the FB app does not lol

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
To you all with the Mini, I notice when I click the question mark, it shows its a normal question mark, but it will only give me the upside down question mark when I click the question mark. The only way I have found that I can have it display a normal one, is if I click the numbers option, then press then option for symbols.

My 12.9 iPad Pro does not have this issue, if I select the question mark, I get a normal question mark without having to do all the extra steps.

Is there a way to fix this? :)

Dylan33x

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
I got a apple refurbished Mini 5 for Christmas last year, as I prefer that models overall design. And honestly I wish I hadn’t have waited so long. It’s my favorite apple device ever probably, it’s the perfect size all around, and I love it. Glad you’re enjoying yours! My ONLY complaint with the device is I wish it got about 50 nits brighter for outdoor usage. But even the 6 has the same max brightness.

Reactions: C7 POWER

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
To you all with the Mini, I notice when I click the question mark, it shows its a normal question mark, but it will only give me the upside down question mark when I click the question mark. The only way I have found that I can have it display a normal one, is if I click the numbers option, then press then option for symbols.

My 12.9 iPad Pro does not have this issue, if I select the question mark, I get a normal question mark without having to do all the extra steps.

Is there a way to fix this? :)
Hmm - are you up to date on iPadOS 15.6? Just released yesterday. Otherwise maybe keyboard or language settings? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
See, if I press the question mark, it shows it like this. I’m set to English, and QWERTY which is the same as my iPad Pro.

Attachments

• 65A597D7-730D-4179-ABE1-ECF27EEE54B1.jpeg
    65A597D7-730D-4179-ABE1-ECF27EEE54B1.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 103

leagueoflegos

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
Same here. 2018 12.9" is my clunker—use primarily as a second display or for ProCreate. iPad mini has been great for mangas, articles, puzzle games and educational things (duolingo, language flash cards, etc).

For the ?—use shift then hit button with ?. It is a little confusing.

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Don't have the 12.9 anymore, but have an 11" with the Magic Keyboard and use that as my "laptop"

I found it too heavy and clunky to use at night too, so decided to get the Mini after probably 6 months of debating as well haha really the best iPad I've used so far

I love being able to keep it in my jacket pocket when going to school, can write my notes for class and study/read in between and on the bus -- only other thing I need is my iPhone with MagSafe wallet and I'm bagless

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Mini's price point is way off, 64gb is too small so $979AUD for a 256GB, 11" pro 128Gb for $1129.
Mini 6 was worst apple product I have ever tried, and have had every iPhone since 4s and every iPad since V1.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Sure like mine (256GB), glad I bought it, would do it again without hesitation.

In the world of tablets, the Mini is still one of the best. I think people see the Pros, with Promotion and mini LED, and they expect the Miini to be a Mini Pro. And yes, the top of the line is expensive. But this is Apple, of course it's expensive. Though I wish they offered a 512GB version. They upgraded every component from the Mini 5 - except max storage. And offering a 64GB is pointless. The options should have been 128GB/512GB.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
After over 6 months of debating if it was worth it or not, I went to Best Buy yesterday and bought the purple iPad Mini 6th Gen to supplement my 12.9 iPad Pro. I was getting tired of the weight and size of the Pro, later at night when I just want to read stuff online while on the couch or laying in bed.

I love how the iPad Mini can fit in my shorts pocket, did not realize just how tiny it was until I took it out of the box. Its a great size for late night browsing.

Anyone else have the 12.9 Pro and also a mini?

I will say I am shocked that in 2022, Facebook STILL does not have dark mode for the Facebook App, but they do on the iPhone.
Best choice

that’s what I did and don’t regret it at all

odblnt

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
See, if I press the question mark, it shows it like this. I’m set to English, and QWERTY which is the same as my iPad Pro.
Just tested it on my Mini6.
If you press and hold, it gives you the option for those three items. To get just the regular question mark either do "shift-?" or just swipe down on the question mark-period key.

The press & hold combo on any key gives you multiple character options.

Csp528

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, USA
I just picked up an iPad mini 6th gen today to replace my 2020 12.9 iPad Pro. I upgraded my 2014 Mac Mini with a MacBook Air M2 and traded my iPad Pro in on it so needed a replacement for my iPad. After having larger size iPads for the last generations I decided to go with the mini. It’s only been a few hours but I’m happy with my decision.

Reactions: VaruLV and C7 POWER

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I just picked up an iPad mini 6th gen today to replace my 2020 12.9 iPad Pro. I upgraded my 2014 Mac Mini with a MacBook Air M2 and traded my iPad Pro in on it so needed a replacement for my iPad. After having larger size iPads for the last generations I decided to go with the mini. It’s only been a few hours but I’m happy with my decision.
I have not turned my iPad Pro on since getting this earlier in the week

Reactions: LibbyLA and Csp528

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013

Yeps…same issue on both the Mini, which is on 15.6 and the IPP, which is on 15.5 (currently being updated). I had not noticed this before.

Edit 1: Very interesting. While the Mini updated to 15.6, the IPP11” did not even though it showed it was downloading the update. Very odd.

Edit 2: All good. The IPP 11” has updated itself to 15.6. Not sure what the glitch was all about.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.