Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
So the german site says that there will be some news that will trample on your previous expectations for speed. Sounds good. And Apple wants to get fast sales of their new product (whatever is in the box) in France, hence the predelivery and use of a consumer store. And I guess now is the time that schools are making their purchases up "North"?

So I'm wondering what else would be in a huge box (other than a 19" eMac) - assuming that the box is sold as a single package. I would have guessed at things like - a Cube with 5 separate 'terminals' (17" displays with keyboard/mouse?)... but I think that that's beyond 10.2.

So any ideas on what else would take that size, or could be bundled together in a sale?

an edit/addition: Come to think of it, that doesn't match the German invite focussing on video/audio/media professionals and the speed... but neither does a 19" eMac. So I'm at a loss - I don't think the box'll be an eMac. Maybe the same day release stuff is only for 'consumer' products.

ramiman

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2003
France
Im sorry for the ones who dootn believe in new powerbooks and powermlacs but it is sure theyre coming out this summer. Proof : go on http://www.fnac.com and search for apple products if u click on powermac or powerbook 12" u will see that it is written under the computer image : indisponible, nouveaté à venir : which means "unavailable, novelties are to come", so please be patient for 6 days.

MünchMob

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
If you take a look at the Cancom homepage (one of the largest european mac resellers) in the top right corner you'll see a picture of a veiled PowerMac labeled as "G5-verpackt_grau_small.jpg" and an anouncement of new desktops on monday evening
here
:D :D :D :D :D

jobberwacky

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Zurich (CH)
Originally posted by MünchMob
If you take a look at the Cancom homepage (one of the largest european mac resellers) in the top right corner you'll see a picture of a veiled PowerMac labeled as "G5-verpackt_grau_small.jpg" and an anouncement of new desktops on monday evening
here
:D :D :D :D :D
Great observation! Hm, the cancom crew haven't opened their boxes, have they? Ts, ts, ts.
Now all we need to find out is what's in the small box.

Andreas, probably rushing to the Berlin Cancom store on Monday...

Dr.DODO

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2003
FYI
Translation of Kodawarisan post.

July 19, 2003
New Products Displayed at Apple Stores Next Week
New products planned to introduced at WWDC will be displayed at each Apple Sore immediately after Steve’s speech.
According to information, new products for display have arrived in some stores with “Handle with Care” [“Treat with Care” might be another way to translate but I think what they really mean is “Treat as Confidential”] labels.

gumray

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2003
I dont think anyone has mentioned the fact that the 970 is 64 bit:( G4s were 128 bit) Is this gonna slow it down any, I guess ill have to see some numbers before Im a believer in IBM's new chip. remember the os 9/X combo OS Dual 1.25 with 4 mb of cache was 18.5 gigaflops, and the Dual 1.42 is 21.5 gigaflops. I dont know what to think about moving to Ibm chips instead of Moto. Remember Megahertz means NOTHING@!
Mac OS X because windows sucks (startup screen)
:p give me your responses
Michael

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by gumray
I dont think anyone has mentioned the fact that the 970 is 64 bit:( G4s were 128 bit) Is this gonna slow it down any, I guess ill have to see some numbers before Im a believer in IBM's new chip. remember the os 9/X combo OS Dual 1.25 with 4 mb of cache was 18.5 gigaflops, and the Dual 1.42 is 21.5 gigaflops. I dont know what to think about moving to Ibm chips instead of Moto. Remember Megahertz means NOTHING@!
Mac OS X because windows sucks (startup screen)
:p give me your responses
Michael

What are you talking about? Are you joking? The G4 is a 32bit chip (it has a 32 bit wide data bus) with a 128bit vector processing unit. The 970 is a 64bit chip with a 128bit vector unit. But the number of bits that a chip can process at once does not have a massive effect on general performance so you cannot say that a 970 is twice as fast as a G4 as it has twice as wide a data bus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.