Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The 19" eMac suggestion throws the whole source into grave doubt, I'd say. (The eMac's a great system, but not 19"!)

If the boxes do exist, then one possible reason for a really LARGE (but not cubic) box would be for a new Cinema Display. Whether larger than ever, or the same size but with new adjustable mounting (as has been rumored), either way could use a larger box than the current Cinema Displays. Add in the expectations of the person assuming a tower, and it might seem like a really big Mac CPU box.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
FNAC is a very well known source for Books, CD's, computers and high line stereos and TV's. One thing that i've noticed and found very odd, was that in our FNAC store in center Lisbon, the center table of the store had all the Macs, even the 17'' Powerbook! I've never seen macs being displayed like that! They were sitting sadly on a corner and now they are at the middle of the store with all their power and glory! Amazing stuff! Maybe Apple Europe and FNAC have some sort of deal to display more the Apple brand... Whatever they up to, everybody stoped to look and touch the Powerbooks. :) Its nice for a mac user to see other people enjoying things as we do!

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
My dad recently bought an eMac, and is very happy with it. But the box was so big and soooo heavy, that he wasn't able to carry it upstairs without help from a second person. I guess a bigger glass tube will only make this worse!

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
Re: Re: the new machines ARE coming

Originally posted by iJon
wow you not the smartest person are you, your a good example on how to get your shop busted.

iJon

i wouldn't dare call myself or in fact you the smartest persons out there.

1. the info i had is by now publicly available on http://www.mac-tv.de. on top of which, that site does not refrain from actually naming my company: Gravis, Germany's #1 Apple retailer.

2. by "busted" I guess you allude to the infamous Apple Gestapo.

3. quoting somebody else's entire posting only to add one line of one's own is terribly poor. especially if that one line adheres neither to syntactical or spelling conventions.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
I genuinely mean no offense to our European neighbors, but does anyone else find it a little odd that all the best hardware intel is coming from Europe nowadays? I would have expected them to be a few days/weeks behind on most product shipments, intelligence, etc.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Maybe, just maybe, these 'very large boxes' actually contain more than 1 smaller box. Heck, it could just be a giant box of iPods, or powerbooks, or powermacs or 15-button mice or anything else.

Of course, this all assumes that these boxes even exist in the first place.

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
Originally posted by MetallicPenguin
Emdezet, do you have any info on the PowerBooks?

unfortunately i already gave all the info i had. just to make sure i rang up our shop to hear if we had also received the mystery boxes. we haven't. it is by now the single most interesting rumor to me, but it remains just that...so far.

if i had the opportunity, i would friggin' tear the wrapper off and take a peek, for crying out loud. can't see why none of the fortunate ones do so to their forbidden fruit cargo.

i for one am keeping all my rumor-bloated hopes up to see my next mac introduced in exactly a week from now :)

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
Originally posted by Awimoway
I genuinely mean no offense to our European neighbors, but...

none taken. but i'd trade the minor lead in current info any day to buy my next mac according to us$ pricing. we still have every reason to scoff at Apple's alleged "localization costs". by all means we are being treated like the second rate market that is always prudent to be able to withdraw from, if things get rough.

[mod. edit - No politics in here, thanks.]

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Re: the new machines ARE coming

Originally posted by emdezet
i wouldn't dare call myself or in fact you the smartest persons out there.

1. the info i had is by now publicly available on http://www.mac-tv.de. on top of which, that site does not refrain from actually naming my company: Gravis, Germany's #1 Apple retailer.

2. by "busted" I guess you allude to the infamous Apple Gestapo.

3. quoting somebody else's entire posting only to add one line of one's own is terribly poor. especially if that one line adheres neither to syntactical or spelling conventions.
ok fine, just to let you know, your the reason apple doesnt trust resellers. im just telling you that you should have more respect for apple, your job, and the NDA you signed.

iJon

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
Re: Re: Re: Re: the new machines ARE coming

ok fine, just to let you know, your the reason apple doesnt trust resellers. im just telling you that you should have more respect for apple, your job, and the NDA you signed.

iJon

do everybody a favor and think before you type. the absence of our demo minitowers can be witnessed by anybody who merely cares to look through our showroom window. another volley of g4-based machines would be nothing short of a kick to the crotches of pros und prosumers by now. (see the archives of http://www.appleturns.com for the notion of the G4-Again) :)

moreover this is not about respect. the info i conveyed hardly classifies as bordering on industrial espionage. after all we are talking about a company that has put DDR RAM to a processor that doesn't even support it - just out of pure desperation.

we have been waiting QUITE a while for the g4 to get the boot. let's celebrate the occasion!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the new machines ARE coming

Originally posted by emdezet
do everybody a favor and think before you type. the absence of our demo minitowers can be witnessed by anybody who merely cares to look through our showroom window. another volley of g4-based machines would be nothing short of a kick to the crotches of pros und prosumers by now. (see the archives of http://www.appleturns.com for the notion of the G4-Again) :)

moreover this is not about respect. the info i conveyed hardly classifies as bordering on industrial espionage. after all we are talking about a company that has put DDR RAM to a processor that doesn't even support it - just out of pure desperation.

we have been waiting QUITE a while for the g4 to get the boot. let's celebrate the occasion!
but you clearly said this " the only definite info we were given from hq is that new machines are coming, none of which are based on the G4. now, unless you consider Apple shipping G3 (GOBI) towers..."
I'm not trying to put you down or anything, im just stating my point. but you have clearly shown that it doesnt matter, so i wont argue, ill drop it.

iJon

mykuki

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
berlin
Re: Re: Re: Re: the new machines ARE coming

iJon

i just don't get it. emdezet was only posting info that has been publicly known for two days. he didn't say more than that there's more to come.

who doesn't know by now?
and actually who here doesn't want to know more?

ok, fine just to let you know, you're the reason this french guy didn't dare to open one of those boxes for us.

everybody hear me?
iJon, we don't want to play with you. you are not our friend anymore.:p

@iJon:
just kiddin': i know i am one of the last standing in line to talk for the macrumors community. but c'mon, no one here needs someone trying to scare people that has (that little) infos to share. ;)

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the new machines ARE coming

I'm not trying to put you down or anything, im just stating my point. but you have clearly shown that it doesnt matter, so i wont argue, ill drop it.

iJon

hey, no hard feelings. i just realized i was eagerly putting you down. but this is not the time to be hostile. it is a season of worldwide rejoicing.

!LOVE, PEACE, HAPPINESS AND A NEW GENERATION OF APPLE MACINTOSH MACHINES TO ALL OF US!

Let us all dribble with delight, awestruck by the resounding boom of new macs with an all new os:)

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
Don't get too excited or you might lose control of yourself on the floor! :eek:

All that excitement only helps Apple with hype, and 99% of the time they don't even pay "us" back; and the 1% of the time they do, boy do they charge "us" for it (new computer cost)!

Yes that's the way with them. You'd think they deliberately let slip something of interest at intervals, just to keep people interested, because interest is the only thing keeping Apple alive lately. Yes sir, if it wasn't for all this excited hopefulness (I don't have to tell you that we always get let down), they'd be out of that there computer business, and into something else like Canning or Pottery (they could do some of that unique body job stuff like they did with computers and make works of tin or plaster art).

Not that there's any real reason for me to state this, except to vent my less than warm feelings about their marketing plan, that cares naught what I (the once loyal Appleist), or you, think. Someone told me, "that's just how big business is." Maybe so, but if I didn't know better I'd say that Apple takes especial pleasure in this kind of cruel marketing.

Oh, and...I think Apple does what they believe will make them the most money, and I don't think that their dislike of resellers is because the resellers are untrustworthy, but rather because Apple has made them so by being so unkind to them. Pair this with their bunches of new Apple stores, and it sounds like Apple doesn't want to share. So that could be it; perhaps they dislike resellers, not because the resellers are untrustworthy (which they could become because of Apple's harshness to them), but because it brings them the most money and the most control over their sales if the resellers are verbally attacked or closed down. Remember how they let clones be manufactured, but didn't let them keep up in speed? They sure cut that whole thing short; didn't care an iota for the other companies.

Anyway, those boxes are probably lots of pamphlets or new shipments of the current computer lines, and Apple probably didn't mind it being exposed; they could've set it up to be noticed just to get more rumor mongers' hopes up. And if they are new computers, they're 2 years late, and I can't afford them anymore anyway; 2 years ago it would've been possible.

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the new machines ARE coming

Originally posted by mykuki
everybody hear me?
iJon, we don't want to play with you. you are not our friend anymore.:p

now, now, mykuki! play nicely. we don't want our pancontinental friendship to grow yet another crack. even i ate my words in embarrassment.

gocanon

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2003
Re: Boxes Arriving?

Originally posted by Macrumors
MacBidouille links a post in their forums claiming that boxes have arrived at one store with warnings not to open (presumably before WWDC).

Are there any US stores reporting these kinds of boxes?

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: Re: Boxes Arriving?

Originally posted by gocanon
Are there any US stores reporting these kinds of boxes?

Someone at AI said their store got boxes, mostly displays tho. So I'm not sure this box rumors hold much water-or display for that matter. They did mention the warehouse having 2 palettes of boxes to be picked up next week.

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Originally posted by TylerL
I don't think these Mystery Boxes are in Apple Retail stores.
...what the hell is "FNAC of PARLY II" anyway?

EDIT: Hmm...Google says it's a concert hall, or something...

FNAC is a very stylish chain of megastores selling CDs (all of them), DVDs (every movie ever) and electronics (everything).

Basically if shopping was sex FNAC would be the orgasm!

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
Boxes for everyone

I´ve got some boxes here in my studio. Does anyone fancy a picture of the big one?

Come on! Steve doesn´t trust the frogs enough to let them have "the great surprise" a week early. Apparently, they received the boxes today and the beans are already spilt. Please, give it a rest!

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Im sure if its anything, its just the Alu-15inch Powerbooks w/ G4's.

As far as WWDC goes, Im sure they will announce the development of the 970, but not have an actual product to demo or ship until MWSF 2004.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
this kind of destroys any possibility of a cube... :(

Well one immediately available after WWDC.

Oh well, this is good news. :)

-scem0

rjwill246

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
Originally posted by bignumbers
You know, it's rather unlike Apple to send out "secret" stuff like this over a week prior to an "event". So I'm guessing this is either something semi-meaningless (generic "10.3 Coming Soon" poster with no specifics) or a hoax.

This is going to be one of those times when the hoax part is unlikley.
Let's look at Apple from a distance.

Apple knows its processors are now passé... they are aware that the whole world knows that the G4s cannot possibly be used for the next year or two. There are no Moto G5s that will do the trick so where does that put Apple? Right in with the IBM rumours and the 970s! If this were NOT true, Apple would have to have squashed the rumours by announcing supercalfragalistic contortions of G4s or something else that would have deflected off the 970 rumours... to not do so and especially if the rumours are not true, will be a pretty serious situation for Apple as, one must assume, that there are no other chips to rescue Apple in the speed and efficiency wars with Intel- other than slightly bumped G4s and those just won't cut it.
Next, Apple has done some hyping of its own about the upcoming WWDC. They changed to a larger venue and have told us that hardware is being discussed. The German's have been told it will be of an extraordinary nature and the IBM folks in Germany have been told not to attend, so as not to discuss... ?? the 970s!!
What else? Panther will be a 64 bit OS. It all adds up to major hardware and software announcements. Now, whether there are PBs with 970s or not matters little. And so it is amusing to see the online clashes here, "debating" whether there will be 15", 12"" or 17" PBs, single or dual towers. That, in the end is irrelevant. All that matters, is that sometime this year, Apple will have a new round of significantly better computers and an OS to go with them. And the G4 will not be the flagship chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.