Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freundt

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Seattle
Originally posted by iJon
or replace the box with a replica and same weight, quit your job and move far away, and then find out it was tshirts and .mac handouts.

iJon

Ok, replace it with a box of the sme size and approx weight, and then have a giant round boulder chase you out of the store. After barely escaping the boulder, you'd fly our the doors of the store, onlt to see steve jobs standing there,. He "polietly asks that ytou hand over the box" (while his minions crowd around with mice bolos ready to kill".

-f

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Isn't there always a "we just got some boxes that we can't open yet" rumor that comes out right before the event. i wouldn't put too much stock into this.

gelbin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
timing of boxes

on the other hand...didn't apple screw up the ipod launch by some stores not having them for the big day- maybe sending things ahead of time ain't such a bad idea...

then again, i doubt even if they are available for order at WWDC, that they will be on store floors, but....

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: timing of boxes

Originally posted by gelbin
on the other hand...didn't apple screw up the ipod launch by some stores not having them for the big day- maybe sending things ahead of time ain't such a bad idea...

then again, i doubt even if they are available for order at WWDC, that they will be on store floors, but....
i believe they didnt have a lot of 30 giggers, thats all i heard.

iJon

gelbin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
some stores

i read that some stores did not have the new ones at all for the launch...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: some stores

Originally posted by gelbin
i read that some stores did not have the new ones at all for the launch...
interesting, doesnt really surprise me though.

iJon

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Originally posted by freundt
Ok, replace it with a box of the sme size and approx weight, and then have a giant round boulder chase you out of the store. After barely escaping the boulder, you'd fly our the doors of the store, onlt to see steve jobs standing there,. He "polietly asks that ytou hand over the box" (while his minions crowd around with mice bolos ready to kill".

-f

Great movie! And it's coming out on DVD Nov. 4!

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
I don't think these Mystery Boxes are in Apple Retail stores.
...what the hell is "FNAC of PARLY II" anyway?

EDIT: Hmm...Google says it's a concert hall, or something...

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Maybe it is more difficult to coordinate international shipping? Thus Apple sent them earlier rather than later?

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Originally posted by awulf
The boxes say "Do not open", but they do not say: "Do not shake" or "Do not send through an xray machine" :D

That would be interesting.

Another Australian, nice to meet you.

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
It's Christmas Eve, all over again.

The worst we ever did was put a little cooking oil on our presents, to see through the wrapping paper and get a "preview" of Christmas morning. :)

Of course, the next year my parents stuffed everything into a refrigerator box and then wrapped that, just to thwart us. ;)

On a more serious note, this should make for some interesting movement on the Mac rumors scene. Macbid is staking a lot on these rumors, if they don't pan out, they'll drop off the face of the earth.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by freundt

-f

You tell Steve that you wanted to know for yourself only and that the 970 PowerBooks would remain a secret until WWDC.

"Only it is not a secret if you know about it as well as we do."

What could you tell him? That he could trust you? Oh no, that would not be right since you failed your own test and opened the precious box for all the wrong reasons.

"Well? What do you have to say for yourself now?"

Your words were blurted out. In your shoes anyone would do the same thing. People need to know the truth. By the way, is there a new Word-like application in the works at Apple?

"No comment."

Camera?

"No comment."

PDA?

"Buy an iPod."

vPod?

"I have not heard that one before."

Smeagul?

"No comment."

mislabeledstar

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by TylerL
I don't think these Mystery Boxes are in Apple Retail stores.
...what the hell is "FNAC of PARLY II" anyway?

someone earlier in the thread wrote it is a compusa type store in switzerland/france....... cd's/dvd's/electronics......

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
the new machines ARE coming

:) people, relax! :)

i work at a local apple-only retailer. just this week we removed all g4 minitowers from their demo stations only to replace them with... nothing at all. a little early, you say? so say we, but...

the only definite info we were given from hq is that new machines are coming, none of which are based on the G4. now, unless you consider Apple shipping G3 (GOBI) towers...

oh, and about G4 mt sales: i felt ethically compelled to share the news with a customer who meant to buy 1GHz G4 MDD at 1699EUR. you know what he did? he bought it all the same!

maybe not everybody out there is looking for the latest, fastest, shiniest, ********ingest computer after all. granted, that customer probably didn't grasp the severity of this generational upgrade. but after all, not everyone is feeding mac-rumor-sites intraveneously.

about the mystery boxes: we haven't got any, yet! which is a pity, because we have an x-ray scanner in the basement :)

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Yeah! x-ray it! Solve the mystery!

AppleMatt

Someone does, it's a 970, big day comes, it's completely useless.
Radiation can't be good for a Mac...

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire

everyone knows radiation just make things 'super', don't you believe sci-fi ?

:D

The radiation would make it mutate into a super970, or a 970 supermegapro. it would have advanced AI and be able to converse with you in any number of languges while doing all your work for you because it would emulate how you think after a few weeks by analysing you're personality and computing habbits.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Re: the new machines ARE coming

Originally posted by emdezet

i work at a local apple-only retailer. just this week we removed all g4 minitowers from their demo stations only to replace them with... nothing at all. a little early, you say? so say we, but...

the only definite info we were given from hq is that new machines are coming, none of which are based on the G4. now, unless you consider Apple shipping G3 (GOBI) towers...

How come someone from a small german Apple reseller store could know that?!
Anyway, if you´re right, I guess my money is on MacBidouille, and the 970s are ready to ship.

Greetings to Cologne ;)

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by Wardofsky

I don´t think so. If you let your iPod be scanned at the airport, it takes no harm either. What should happen to the tower?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by Wardofsky

I stick my PowerBook through airport security all the time, no problems.

There is also an x-ray of a 15" PowerBook floating around (titanium)

AppleMatt

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Important part:
indeed we received boxes which we cannot open (controlled possibly by APPLE France... with strong
punishment the key I presume), according to the size of these
famous boxes, it would seem that there are new portables whose
size would be 15", on the other hand the large ones are very LARGE.

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Re: the new machines ARE coming

Originally posted by emdezet

oh, and about G4 mt sales: i felt ethically compelled to share the news with a customer who meant to buy 1GHz G4 MDD at 1699EUR. you know what he did? he bought it all the same!

maybe not everybody out there is looking for the latest, fastest, shiniest, ********ingest computer after all. granted, that customer probably didn't grasp the severity of this generational upgrade. but after all, not everyone is feeding mac-rumor-sites intraveneously.

about the mystery boxes: we haven't got any, yet! which is a pity, because we have an x-ray scanner in the basement :)

That's good news! Do you know anything about the new Powerbooks?

Escher

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2001
Dakar, Senegal
For those of you who don't speak French and want something better than a Babelfish translation, here's my English rendition of the MacBidouille post.

"I work at the Parly II [store] of the FNAC [chain]. [Note: FNAC is a media/electronics chain; Parly II is presumably the store location where the informant works.] We have indeed received a series of boxes, which we cannot open (because of possible audits/controls by Apple France... with severe consequences/punishment). Judging from the size of the boxes, it would seem that there are new laptops with 15" screens. On the other hand, the large boxes are _very_ large. I tried to get more information from my boss, but he doesn't know anything more, other than that Apple is committed to rapid sales, which is why FNAC is involved."

Escher

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.