Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
London
I have an approx 1in spot on my iPad Pro screen which is brighter than the rest of the screen - it's unevenly lit. The spot is about 2in above the home button, and although it has soft edges, I'm anal about my gadgets, and the difference in brightness could be described as 'minor', it's clearly there. It looks a bit like a pressure spot or similar. I always keep it in a case with a screen protector and the Smart Keyboard, so it's well looked-after.

I can't find much about similar issues online - anyone heard anything similar? I have a Genius Bar appointment later in the week to see what Apple think (spending £800 on an iPad means I pretty much expect it to still be perfect within the warranty period).

FineFuturity

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
MA, United States
I had something similar to what you described on my iPhone 7. I took it in and I ultimately got a replacement since they botched the repair. So assuming your iPad is in warrranty, they should replace the device entirely once you point out the problem to them.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
bright spots are usually a sign of something sharp/blunt hitting the screen really hard. I have it on my 6s Plus.

Reactions: GubbyMan

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
London
bright spots are usually a sign of something sharp/blunt hitting the screen really hard. I have it on my 6s Plus.
Itdoesn't look like an impact damage thing, I don't think - it's bigger, softer. It looks more like uneven backlighting, and I think it fades and brightens depending on how warm the iPad is.

Could be a laminating issue, a pressure spot or something like that. We'll see what Apple says, I have enough reassurance that I'm being reasonable in asking them to take a look now - thank you all!

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
London
A little squinting but they saw it and replaced my iPad, no questions. The Apple premium is worth paying at times like this; no question or would have been harder almost anywhere else. Only sadness is that my old iPad is good only for scrap, which has me feeling a little guilty.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
A little squinting but they saw it and replaced my iPad, no questions. The Apple premium is worth paying at times like this; no question or would have been harder almost anywhere else. Only sadness is that my old iPad is good only for scrap, which has me feeling a little guilty.
I felt the same way. And my new one is having a touch ID problem, so back to the genius bar I go.

PeterJH3

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I have an approx 1in spot on my iPad Pro screen which is brighter than the rest of the screen - it's unevenly lit. The spot is about 2in above the home button, and although it has soft edges, I'm anal about my gadgets, and the difference in brightness could be described as 'minor', it's clearly there. It looks a bit like a pressure spot or similar. I always keep it in a case with a screen protector and the Smart Keyboard, so it's well looked-after.

I can't find much about similar issues online - anyone heard anything similar? I have a Genius Bar appointment later in the week to see what Apple think (spending £800 on an iPad means I pretty much expect it to still be perfect within the warranty period).
Wow...I have this exact same issue and I figured it was just mine. It's in the same place you described as well, altho not as large as 1" but it's a definite centimeter in size and a white fuzzy ball about 2" above the home button on my 10.5" IPP. Should I make a GB appt and show them? Does anyone recall how long theirs has been in appearance for?

acmeplus

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008

I have the same exact issue in the same exact place. I’ve started noticing it about 1 month ago and I’m planning on taking it to Apple soon. I have it always with its keyboard case and a back case, so I don’t think it’s pressure but a manufacturing defect that it’s starting to show now. This being a “pro” device, where the screen color evenness is part of its premium features makes this a clear issue and I assume Apple will just replace it.

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
The issue is called "dirty screen effect". It's particularly jarring on bright even-colored pages during scrolling.

Seems like it's a common issue with the 10.5 displays... I realized my 10.5 Pro had this issue one week after I got it. It's pretty darn impossible to unsee once you've spotted it.

Poogis

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2006
London, UK
I bought two iPad Pro 10.5s in July/August last year two weeks apart - and recently taken both back within two weeks as they developed the white blotch 40mm above the home button in portrait mode - same place for both. Replaced with no questions asked.

My guess is that in six months I'll be taking these replacements back.

acmeplus

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Just came back from the Apple Store. Replaced the iPad with no questions asked after they ran the diagnostics. The RGB test showed the issue with white and green backgrounds. In addition to the spot above the home button, they also spotted another one on the side.

Reactions: PeterJH3

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Just reporting that I have this same issue on a 10.5 iPad Pro. I have a genius bar appointment next week ... hopefully they will get this resolved. This looks like a common issue :(

gtgt486d

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2018
Just got home--good news, they're replacing my iPad... The whole interaction took less than 10 minutes. The spot on mine is visible but barely and I was expecting the worst. However, the tech saw the spot, wireless connected to my iPad to run some diags and collect info and created a work order.

I have the 512 GB/Cellular model and check the store stock to confirm it was in stock, however they said they'd have to order it and they would notify me when it came in (couple of days). My guess is they have a certain quantity reserved for repairs and they just didn't have any of this model.

Very happy and glad I got this checked out. I suspect (like someone else suggested) that it will re-appear eventually, my guess is that there's some component under that section of the screen that's causing this over time. But i'm not too concerned--it might be time to upgrade by then...

PeterJH3

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I have the 512 GB/Cellular model and check the store stock to confirm it was in stock, however they said they'd have to order it and they would notify me when it came in (couple of days). My guess is they have a certain quantity reserved for repairs and they just didn't have any of this model.
So they DO give you exactly what you have already. Is it a new one and/or is there the normal one year warranty on the one you receive as a replacement?

gtgt486d

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2018
Yes they have to give you the same model you have. He stated it was a new unit but he also said that the warranty would be 90 days or until the end of the original unit, which seems weird but fair.

amujee

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
Huntington Beach, California
I purchased my iPad used. I checked the the serial# and it's still under warranty until next year. Mint condition expect for two bright spots underneath the glass. Looks like pressure spots but absolutely no damage to indicate this. Would Apple store replace it? I don't have any original proof of purchase.

Benjamid

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
Got a new iPad Pro:) so yes they replace them under warrenty. The guy at the desk said it was most likely the battery expanding and putting pressure on the screen wich resulted in the bright spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.