Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I just love the panel lottery. Soooo, back in the first week of July, I got an express replacement for my "spotted" device.

At the time I noticed that the replacement device (Nov 2017) was colder and brighter than my "broken" device (May 2017). Thought I'd lucked out on the new device until I used it for a week or so and noticed a shadow in the bottom left corner in portrait, a faint dark line across the display (shadow) about half a cm above the home button. This display also went from v cold/blue in the top 2cm, to cool, to warm for the last 4cm to the home button.

I'm well accustomed to display issues so surprised I missed some or all of these.

Thought I'd go for another AC+ express replacement and it arrived today. This device is the exact same week as my original device (May 2017, it arrived with iOS 10.3.2!). Device is warmer consistently across the display, which is good. Slight shadow in the bottom right corner, but when using the SC or ASK this is then in the top-right (battery status etc) so not noticeable.

Still with me? OK.... the bizarre thing is that my warmer display gets less warm when I have TrueTone on, and the colder display of the "brighter" device gets very yellow. The replacement warmer "May" device looks more "normal" with TrueTone on.

Ah well, bit of a tale, but there we are.... fingers crossed this survives Spot-gate until the 2018 devices drop.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I noticed a white spot develop over the past month about 2” above my home button. I don’t think I can do anything about it as I didn’t get Apple care.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
:(

I wonder what is going on at that spot of the panel?

I think if you press on the screen around that area, it distorts like there’s a component there. I wonder if that where people’s fingers rest in the back of the device when holding it and over time it’s just pinched the display and that component a little.

Reactions: MacInTO

Geezy2

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
I had the same thing happen about a month ago, same spot as others in this thread - about two inches above the home button. Genius replaced it right away as it was still under warranty. I fully expect this same thing to happen to this replacement iPad I have now. It's unfortunate. Apple should be treating this as a design defect and start up a program similar to the keyboard repair program. We didn't all pay close to a grand to have a bright white spot develop over time.

boylerman

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Massachusetts
Mine has the same spot as well. It developed within the past month or so. Mine is just outside the 1 year warranty, so I'm not even going to bother with taking it in. If this problem becomes more widespread, perhaps Apple will address it. I'm suspecting there is a component under the spot which warms up causing eventual degradation / premature wear of the panel.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I think if you press on the screen around that area, it distorts like there’s a component there. I wonder if that where people’s fingers rest in the back of the device when holding it and over time it’s just pinched the display and that component a little.
It's unusual because I never press hard on any part the panel let alone that spot nor do I carry it like a plate. If I do, it is always on the black bezels.

On ifixit, it shows a space under that spot with cables.

It's an interesting thing.

Geezy2

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
It's unusual because I never press hard on any part the panel let alone that spot nor do I carry it like a plate. If I do, it is always on the black bezels.

On ifixit, it shows a space under that spot with cables.

It's an interesting thing.
I wonder if having a case on the iPad affects it at all. Playing 3D games, pushing the temperatures higher, heat doesn’t dissipate enough through the back because of the case, some component inside swells up somewhere causing the pressure point on that exact part of the screen.

Anyone have this issue arise that does not use a case which covers back of the iPad?

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
I have an appointment in an hour. I have the exact same issue on my 10 month old 10.5. Hoping for the best...
I took my 2nd gen 12.9 to the Genius Bar with 6 days left on my warranty. It had an edge where there was a 1.5" area where light bled through. I use it for work, but as the warranty was coming to a close I realized that it could be a problem if I sold it. It was really obvious on a bright screen. They ran a few diagnostics and gave me a new one. I was pleased.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I have 2 very small areas down the bottom (in portrait orientation) of my 10.5 screen. The white spots can be seen on a lightly coloured background. I’m not sure if they are big enough or there are enough of them for Apple to replace my iPad. They are actually quite small, but to be honest, I am bothered by it.

I’m in Australia where Apple usually provide an unwritten warranty for 2 years and I also have Apple Care+. But I’m wondering about whether to check if Apple will replace my iPad now or wait and see if the spots develop more in time before asking about a replacement. If I take my iPad to the local authorised repair centre then I will be without my iPad for a week while they correspond with Apple about the defect and possibility for replacement.
Do I try it now or later?

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I have 2 very small areas down the bottom (in portrait orientation) of my 10.5 screen. The white spots can be seen on a lightly coloured background. I’m not sure if they are big enough or there are enough of them for Apple to replace my iPad. They are actually quite small, but to be honest, I am bothered by it.

I’m in Australia where Apple usually provide an unwritten warranty for 2 years and I also have Apple Care+. But I’m wondering about whether to check if Apple will replace my iPad now or wait and see if the spots develop more in time before asking about a replacement. If I take my iPad to the local authorised repair centre then I will be without my iPad for a week while they correspond with Apple about the defect and possibility for replacement.
Do I try it now or later?
If you have it and it is annoying you, get it taken care of right away. It could come back on your replacement unit so the sooner the better.

Reactions: millydog

w_rigdon

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
Louisiana
Took mine in today with the same problem. Had Apple Car and they swapped it out once they saw and documented the problem. The guy told me that this was the third one he has seen and expects to see many more.

Bugdozer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Brought mine in today for exact same issue. No problem at all. Swapped it out with a brand new one. Glad I found this thread!

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
My sons iPad Pro 10.5 also has this issue above the home button. I have AppleCare, but it is still under warranty anyway. Got a replacement. When I got home, opened the box to set up the new device and it has the exact same issue. So had to book another genius appointment and travel an hour back to Apple the following day. It was immediately exchanged for a new one and I opened it in store. Had a perfect screen.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Have this issue, but no Apple care. Ugh. Was denied a swap out.

Really Apple?! You give me a “genius” that tried to charge me the cost of a new one and also try to tell me “we don’t know if new ones are coming out, you shouldn’t wait”

Maybe I’ll try to leverage my Amex price protection.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!

Really Apple?! You give me a “genius” that tried to charge me the cost of a new one and also try to tell me “we don’t know if new ones are coming out, you shouldn’t wait”

That's bad. But you have protection with Amex. I would like to know how that goes. I've never needed to use the coverage with my Amex.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

No idea where you are located, but if in the EU would the EU consumer laws be applicable as you can prove from this thread that it's a common problem and a potential issue that was just waiting to happen since purchase?

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
No idea where you are located, but if in the EU would the EU consumer laws be applicable as you can prove from this thread that it's a common problem and a potential issue that was just waiting to happen since purchase?

United States...sadly.

(I love the country, but the consumer laws here are not that friendly.)

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
United States...sadly.

(I love the country, but the consumer laws here are not that friendly.)

Unfortunate. I'm in the UK and I've never actively used this law. However, I've had 2x screen replacements on my 2014 Retina iMac for the exact same reasons, and despite having AppleCare+ they are listed as fixed via "Consumer Law".

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
My 12.9” 2nd gen had this problem - had it swapped out for free around 350 days after release

rfunctions

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
I bought two iPad Pro 10.5s in July/August last year two weeks apart - and recently taken both back within two weeks as they developed the white blotch 40mm above the home button in portrait mode - same place for both. Replaced with no questions asked.

My guess is that in six months I'll be taking these replacements back.

I am having the same white spot as you had. Exactly the same location, 40mm above the home bottom

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I just sold my iPP 10.5 so I won't get the white spot anymore. :eek::D

I'm back on my Macbook Pro and waiting to see what is around the corner.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Just noticed this exact same issue on my iPad Pro today. I have Apple Care so I’ll get it swapped out.

gm4jjj

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
I noticed the same screen problem has just appeared on my iPad Pro 10.5" yesterday. Really disappointing.

Will have to book an appointment at the Apple Store, as it is still well within the 1 year warranty period. I hope they can replace it on the spot, as it is a bit of a journey for me.

Device is 4 months old. Production week Feb 2018.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.