Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadi150

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Need help!
So I change my phone every year and I want the new iPhone Pro Max. I usually sell my previous phone to recoup some of the cost, obviously.
But for the first time in like 8 years I broke my phone. In this case the back of my XS Max is cracked. So I know since I don’t have Apple care I will pay $550 and since they do not fix the back of the screen they just replace the whole phone.
My question is, since the XS Max is discontinued, will they just give me the 11 Pro Max or what is going to happen?
Please someone enlighten me as I will order the new phone on Friday if this is not the case!

shadi150

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
They wouldn't replace your phone with the 11 Pro Max and they have no reason to.
Yeah but I thought they don’t repair the back, they just replace the phone altogether? So since the XS is discontinued they will give me the new phone.
Thanks for the quick reply.

hungryteresa

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah but I thought they don’t repair the back, they just replace the phone altogether? So since the XS is discontinued they will give me the new phone.
Even though the XS is discontinued in the Apple Store, Apple should still have replacement XS Max iPhones at the Genius Bar, so they will probably replace with the same iPhone (same specs).

Reactions: Zxxv

Aggie2010

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2016
No they will just replace it with the XS max. They will still stock them for those who are in situations like yours.

Reactions: ruslan120 and Zxxv

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
They’ll have refurbs as replacements for years to come. All of the phones that were “new” three days ago and discontinued will be used along with all of the “defective” phones they replace under warranty or Applecare.

shadi150

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
They’ll have refurbs as replacements for years to come. All of the phones that were “new” three days ago and discontinued will be used along with all of the “defective” phones they replace under warranty or Applecare.
Refurbished phones as replacements makes sense. Didn’t think of that.
The XSs will be off production so I was confused as to how they will prevent people from playing the system but now it makes sense.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Need help!
So I change my phone every year and I want the new iPhone Pro Max. I usually sell my previous phone to recoup some of the cost, obviously.
But for the first time in like 8 years I broke my phone. In this case the back of my XS Max is cracked. So I know since I don’t have Apple care I will pay $550 and since they do not fix the back of the screen they just replace the whole phone.
My question is, since the XS Max is discontinued, will they just give me the 11 Pro Max or what is going to happen?
Please someone enlighten me as I will order the new phone on Friday if this is not the case!

Apple has never done that. You likely also have to pay for a repair / replacement. If Apple decides to replace your phone (which they usually do if it's a cracked glass back) you'll get the same phone, same color, same capacity. You can't exchange anything. And yes, it'll be a refurbished unit / replacement unit.

Example:

MT512B/A - New iPhone Xs Max
NT512B/A - Replacement Unit Xs Max that you'll only get from the Apple Store Genius Bar
B
T512B/A - Refurbished Unit that you can buy from Apple.com (US only) under Refurbished & Clearance

shadi150

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
I heard of someone getting an XS as a replacement for the X last year for this same reason so I was asking this question to confirm or falsify what I heard.
[doublepost=1568297944][/doublepost]Some people are so salty it’s hilarious. I don’t even understand why. Maybe I’m just stupid, hence the stupid original question. Hahaha.

shadi150

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Nobody is salty, it's just entertaining that such a question was even asked.
If you’d like to entertain yourself some more and read the message before the one you just quoted, such a question was asked due to a similar scenario the year before. Lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.