Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I have a few machines running Intel Tiger, and I can't find any browsers for them... TenFourFox refuses to install on Intel

Reactions: tevion5

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I plead ignorance to the Intel version of Tiger(which I've booted on my Mac Pro maybe once or twice) but the G4 version of TFF works fine in Leopard and Snow Leopard.

The G5 version, AFAIK, won't work as Rosetta can't emulate the full G5 instruction set.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Edit: sorry, just realized it's for 10.6+ unless you compile it yourself on tiger.

Isn't that then just the solution? A quick compile and it's done.

I plead ignorance to the Intel version of Tiger(which I've booted on my Mac Pro maybe once or twice) but the G4 version of TFF works fine in Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Or that. Rosetta, baby. Not as good speed wise as the native compile but it wold work

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Or that. Rosetta, baby. Not as good speed wise as the native compile but it wold work

I've said this before, but (as per Cameron Kaiser's direct advice on running TFF through Rosetta) TenFourFoxG3 via Rosetta (on a top of the line MacPro3,1, no less) is so slow to the point of being completely unusable. If the G4 version of TFF works under Rosetta without any speed issues, then that would be very confusing because TFFG4 has Altivec optimizations and more PowerPC specific code, which TFFG3 does not. Theoretically, the G3 version should have been faster on Rosetta because there's less for the emulation-layer to chew through.

For native Intel solutions, you will probably be stuck on the last versions of OmniWeb and Camino, both last updated in 2012 and available for Tiger.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
My advice is to upgrade to Snow Leopard. It will run on any early Intel Mac up to 2009 or 2010, and it's one of the most stable and best performing Mac OS ever. It's also to most universally compatible Mac OS.

If you do upgrade... use Arctic Fox.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/arctic-fox-web-browser-for-10-6-32-64-bit.2133051/
I have the Tiger machines for work, I can boot into Snow Leopard already. It's just that I don't want to leave Tiger to browse the web.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Anyone got TFF to successfully compile on Tiger?

I had go a couple weeks ago, installed MacPorts and Xcode as per the instructions on my MBP3,1 and it was crashing out part way through. I'll grab the error later tonight.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Your work software needs won't run on Snow Leopard?
Some will, but most are pretty buggy. For some reason Rosetta had a lot of problems with SL for me. Some of the Intel native apps have crashed for me too. Leopard seems to be a good middle ground but it also has no browser support

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Can you use this disc, or Is this obsolete?
upload_2019-3-1_12-33-7.jpeg

Reactions: amagichnich

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
This thread kind of reveals that Tiger for Intel lags behind Tiger for PowerPC in some ways for software support. I would imagine that very few people with early Intel Macs still run something before Snow Leopard, so there is very little support for it on Intel.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
This thread kind of reveals that Tiger for Intel lags behind Tiger for PowerPC in some ways for software support. I would imagine that very few people with early Intel Macs still run something before Snow Leopard, so there is very little support for it on Intel.
Snow Leopard really isn't supported either.

Tiger on early Intel is uncommon because no one can install it without the slowly becoming rarer discs that are specific to each machine. I won't ever update an Intel Tiger system I don't have the discs for.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Yes... by 1000 miles. Safari 4 in Tiger would be much more capable. Netscape is what became Firefox.
We, our newspaper reported the aol netscape merger in 1998-9ish, i did a graphic were they shook hands!
I think i needed that cd for a imac Bodoni blue......in year 2000......while streaming conan

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Some will, but most are pretty buggy. For some reason Rosetta had a lot of problems with SL for me. Some of the Intel native apps have crashed for me too. Leopard seems to be a good middle ground but it also has no browser support

If it's not confidential, what is it you need for work that's developed for PPC Tiger? Your workplace should seriously reconsider upgrading their software stack; It may work fine for now but eventually you'll not be able to find hardware that can run your required software any longer

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
If it's not confidential, what is it you need for work that's developed for PPC Tiger? Your workplace should seriously reconsider upgrading their software stack; It may work fine for now but eventually you'll not be able to find hardware that can run your required software any longer
It's custom software I had someone build for me. I'd love to update it but I don't have the tools to do so. If I ever get back in touch with the guy I'll try and get a newer version built.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It's custom software I had someone build for me. I'd love to update it but I don't have the tools to do so. If I ever get back in touch with the guy I'll try and get a newer version built.

Hmmm. What type of software? Like; The purpose of it? Do you have the source or only a binary for it? If you have the source, and it wasn't written too specifically for PPC; Whilst we probably can't get it running on too new an OS, we might be able to easily get an Intel variant going at least

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Hmmm. What type of software? Like; The purpose of it? Do you have the source or only a binary for it? If you have the source, and it wasn't written too specifically for PPC; Whilst we probably can't get it running on too new an OS, we might be able to easily get an Intel variant going at least
I don't have the source code or anything for it. It's not a PPC app, it's just that it only runs on Tiger. I've tried to run it on Leopard and above but it crashes or is unusable. Not sure what is wrong with it that won't work with Leopard or up.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Tiger on early Intel is uncommon because no one can install it without the slowly becoming rarer discs that are specific to each machine. I won't ever update an Intel Tiger system I don't have the discs for.

It's not an ideal solution but if you hose a Tiger Intel installation and don't have the restore disks for that machine, you may be able to get away with Tiger Server 10.4.7, which was the only retail version of Tiger sold as a Universal disk. You probably don't want the overhead of server running if not needed but from memory, Tiger through Snow Leopard installed the base client OS and then the server components on top, so that they are running as apps and discrete services rather than baked into the OS. You might be able to unpick them/shut them down once installed to save on system resources.

Of course, none of this will help if your hardware shipped with 10.4.8 or later. You would have to jump through more hoops then by cloning the system from another Intel host once updated to 10.4.11.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
It's not an ideal solution but if you hose a Tiger Intel installation and don't have the restore disks for that machine, you may be able to get away with Tiger Server 10.4.7, which was the only retail version of Tiger sold as a Universal disk. You probably don't want the overhead of server running if not needed but from memory, Tiger through Snow Leopard installed the base client OS and then the server components on top, so that they are running as apps and discrete services rather than baked into the OS. You might be able to unpick them/shut them down once installed to save on system resources.

Of course, none of this will help if your hardware shipped with 10.4.8 or later. You would have to jump through more hoops then by cloning the system from another Intel host once updated to 10.4.11.
Interesting. I use Tiger server on some iMacs and haven't noticed any slowdown from the server stuff. My main issue with it is that some software won't install on a server version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.