Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I thought of a possible solution for you...

Use VNC to use both Intel Tiger for work apps, and a newer OS on another Mac and use VNC or Screen Sharing to run a more modern browser. Or do the opposite... and use the newer OS as your main, and remote into Intel Tiger for work apps. This keeps everything on one screen, and will seem like one system in some ways.

The browser support for Intel Tiger is just too limited to have success or any kind of good experience browsing.

Last edited:
Reactions: z970

sawpits

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
I have the Tiger machines for work, I can boot into Snow Leopard already. It's just that I don't want to leave Tiger to browse the web.

See:

@OlgaTPark's Intel TenFourFox fork is a bit unusual in that it is based on 45.9 (yes, back before the FPR releases began), so it is missing later updates in the FPR series. On the other hand, it does support Tiger (mainline Intel TenFourFox requires at least 10.5), it additionally supports several features not supported by TenFourFox, i.e., by enabling Mozilla features in some of its operating system-specific flavours that are disabled in TenFourFox for reasons of Tiger compatibility, and also includes support for H.264 video with ffmpeg.

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2019/03/another-choice-for-intel-tenfourfox.html

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I'm trying on Intel...

I'll give it another go later.

Tried again with the MacPorts one and it just fails with a number of errors relating to updated pre-reqs that can't update by the looks of it.

However, checking the TFF blog someone's compiled 45.9 for 10.4 Intel. Installed that and it's working nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.