Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
Switched to Brave earlier this year and havent looked back. Runs perfect and flawless across multiple OS'es and platforms that I have used.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
haven't tried Brave, looks interesting.

Used to use Chrome, but it eats resources. Firefox is clunky.
Just using Safari with uBlock Origin while it still works, before i get Catalina.

i tried Wipr instead of uBlock Origin but it doesn't work nearly as well :(

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
Usually Safari on Macs. The current Firefox is great. I use it occasionally. There isn’t enough pf a difference to make it my full-time browser.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I don't know how much credibility we should place on Wikipedia information, but does Brave block everyone else's ads in order to place their own?

"Brave uses its Basic Attention Token (BAT ads) to drive revenue.Originally incorporated in Delaware as Hyperware Labs, Inc in 2015, they later changed their name to Brave Software, Inc. and registered in California, where the company is headquartered.
In November 2019, Brave launched an Ad Network with a 70 percent revenue share to users.
"

Basic Attention Token (BAT), decentralized ad exchange

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i use Brave exclusively but FireFox with extensions could be even more useful? Implementing plugins has its own security risk.

Brave:
-I wonder when first starting up the Brave application, the very 1st window that comes up, is this a Private Window or not?? I always close this and manually initiate a Private window"shift command N".
-1password will not link to Brave.
-Brave's"Private Window with Tor" maybe I should it more. I need to reserve a block of personal time to look at Tor and that is not happening just now. Tor effectively strips off my ip address?
-there is a ios version of Brave and i should use it more.

duckduckgo:
-I use the search engine duckduckgo exclusively but google has more "any time" settings. Either way sometimes functional to limit a search to time date.

Epic:
Limited personal time issue but may try epic.

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I only use safari.

I primarily use it but some banking sites, job sites, and gaming sites force me to use FF or Chrome.
[automerge]1577107625[/automerge]
I have yet to encounter any sites I visit which Brave can't handle. It is revealing, though, to see so much "white space" on sites where advertising typically appears. The most revealing one is yahoo.com.

I can point you to one. Stratego.com. Try playing a game on that browser. The site forces Chrome FF or Edge on people.

Stoomkracht

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
Opera here. Buildin good ad-blocker (check the defaults and exceptions...), buildin vpn when needed once in a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.