Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Experts anticipate a "brutal battle" between Apple and global regulators amid concerns about how the company may "exaggerate" its privacy and security claims for commercial gain and curtail interoperability to keep users locked into a "walled garden."

aapl-logo-banner.jpg

Global experts and leaders of competition policy convened at the Data, Technology, and Analytics Conference 2022 last week, hosted by the UK's Competition and Market Authority (CMA). The CMA's event came just weeks after it published its year-long study into Apple and Google's mobile ecosystems, which found that Apple and Google have an "effective duopoly" on mobile ecosystems that allows them to "exercise a stranglehold over these markets," including on operating systems, app stores, and web browsers.

"Without interventions," the press release claims, "both companies are likely to maintain, and even strengthen, their grip over the sector, further restricting competition and limiting incentives for innovators." The regulator subsequently sought to launch a wide-reaching "market investigation reference" into restrictions on mobile browser engines and cloud gaming on Apple's platforms.

Apple was represented at the conference by Chief Privacy Officer Jane Horvath, who discussed the importance of privacy in the context of competition and how privacy is a "cross-functional pursuit" at the company. She discussed examples of how privacy was a vital consideration when developing the Health app and the Apple Watch years before they debuted, as well as the journey toward App Tracking Transparency. Horvath also responded to the argument that Apple's privacy efforts may conveniently protect the position of a powerful incumbent.

Click to skip directly to Jane Horvath, Damien Geradin (pt. 1), and Damien Geradin (pt. 2).

Competition law Professor Dr. Damien Geradin of Tilburg University and Geradin Partners talked about the balance and understandings required when enforcing competition rules. With reference to the CMA's recently published Market Study, he said Apple often uses privacy and security "to justify the status quo and resist regulatory intervention, even when needed."

He explained that it is right for companies to protect the quality of their platforms, but that this can overstep the mark where there are conflicts of interest. Geradin concluded that it is vital regulators "distinguish between legitimate privacy and security claims and those that are pretextual or simply exaggerated."

Geradin went on to outline his expectations for how disputes between companies and regulators will pan out in the coming years as regulators around the world prepare to enforce unprecedented new rules for big tech companies. He was highly skeptical that there will be amicable collaboration between regulators and companies:

It will not go smoothly... I've seen studies commissioned by gatekeepers that were truly mindboggling... I think also that the DMA will trigger litigation, designation will trigger litigation, the DMU regime – tonnes of litigation. So I like the idea of [collaboration]... but in practice this will be a brutal battle. I'm betting on it. And if things can be done in a nice and smooth manner, I love it, but my prediction... is that this will be very, very challenging if you look at the rules in the DMA about the App Store – each and every of them will be challenged. There will be resistance to implement.

And I think it's legitimate in a way, if you disagree with a regulation, to challenge it and to push your view point, at the same time, I think there comes a moment where you need to implement and we're not there yet.

Writer and activist Cory Doctorow discussed how companies like Apple become both "durable and very big" with regards to competition. He used the example of how in the early 2000s Apple was forced to use interoperability to innovate and break Microsoft's dominance, when Steve Jobs ensured that Apple reverse-engineered Microsoft file formats to create the iWork Suite and allow Macs to proliferate in Microsoft-dominated networks.

What had been a walled garden had now become a feed-lot where Apple could go and gorge itself on Microsoft's formerly pent-up customers and that was a turning point for the Mac... and once you've got off the ladder you pull it up behind you and so... it's now very important that Apple stop anyone from doing unto Apple as Apple did unto Microsoft because Apple is the good kind of trillion-dollar cuddly company and Microsoft was the bad kind of trillion-dollar cuddly company. And it's true, it's often the case that Apple has your interests at heart, but sometimes they don't and one of the ways to make sure that they do is to have the option to leave.

Doctorow said that upholding interoperability is therefore vital to encourage companies to act in the interests of users and prevent abuses of market power.

Click to skip directly to Cory Doctorow.

Apple's ecosystem is increasingly coming under intense scrutiny by governments around the world, including in the United States, the United Kingdom, Japan, South Korea, the European Union, and more, with a clear appetite from global regulators to explore requirements around issues like app store policies, app sideloading, and interoperability amid concerns about competition.

Article Link: 'Brutal Battle' Expected as Regulators Close in on Apple Around the World

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Of course such battle will come in the form of lawsuits against government by companies other than just Apple. Everyone aiming for a piece of the pie.

The pie here is data collection, money and dominance of the market. No, no government official cares about the people; otherwise, they'd actually engage local constituents on a way forward.

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
A viable competitor against Apple and Google in the smartphone field would be great. Lower prices, better features, and less lock-in. I'd probably still stick with Apple, but we'd all benefit.

That said, the way to get there is not through regulations drafted by government bureaucrats.
Then what, pray tell, is the way to get there, if not through regulation?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
While I wholeheartedly agree the intervention by government and increasing legal pressure on mega corps is a good intention to curb their unlimited power, the result may be drastically different from what people Involved might anticipate.

Nevertheless, it is necessary to let people know, being too successful is also a problem.

antnythr

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2020
may "exaggerate" its privacy and security claims for commercial gain and curtail interoperability to keep users locked into a "walled garden."

Of course this is what Apple is going to do. It's not that the claims that all their lock-in have no merit, it's that they are highly exaggerated. That's always been the issue. The world gets along just fine on MacOS, but all of a sudden it's an issue on the phone (where coincidentally they just so happen to have billions of dollars on the line from their lock on the garden doors).

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
More than Google, I am more interested in how this pans out for Apple. Apple's business model revolves around its ability to play a particular "lock in"/"protect the Apple buyer" (comes down to how you look at it) game and Apple's methodologies seem to be going against how the regulators are leaning in 2022.

For myself I have been playing the game of being able to live in whichever "world" best suits me (currently its mixed with macOS and Android) in the moment and I feel the ability to be nimble in which devices I use is the best way to go.

PS What has made me able to disconnected from Apple's walled garden (and insulate me from Google's) is to 1) not use iCloud for the most part (don't get me wrong as I still do… just not for some core things) and 2) use a NAS that puts most of my cloud storage and services into my own hands and not that of either Apple or Google.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
That said, the way to get there is not through regulations drafted by government bureaucrats.
Then the company disrupting apple and google would have to have billions of starting capital and a fleet of extremely talented people to even have a chance to compete, let alone all the other problems along the way. Also, they are better off disrupting into technologies that are not mature yet with lots of potential, something I think is increasingly lacking as time goes on.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
A viable competitor against Apple and Google in the smartphone field would be great. Lower prices, better features, and less lock-in. I'd probably still stick with Apple, but we'd all benefit.

Subsidies for Microsoft for Windows Phone! Bring it back!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Then the company disrupting apple and google would have to have billions of starting capital and a fleet of extremely talented people to even have a chance to compete, let alone all the other problems along the way. Also, they are better off disrupting into technologies that are not mature yet with lots of potential, something I think is increasingly lacking as time goes on.

To be fair, Apple had none of this when they entered the phone market. The phone market by all accounts was mature, at least in the states, and I would assume other nations, had their big two or three handling the cell phones and markets for those phones.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Apple could instantly boost its privacy credentials by dropping Google as the default Safari search engine. But $…
And use what as a replacement? Nothing comes close to the quality of results.

Bing. DuckDuckGo. Other stuff (what even is there). It consistently shows me results that are not nearly as helpful as Google's. That'd a harm in user experience.

I know there's a tradeoff; it just doesn't bother me. For those it does bother, they can find out how to switch. My technologically illiterate dad cares about privacy and figured out how to change his search engine from Google.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
You mean like Apple Computer Inc. which was 2 guys in a garage in 1977? The same year that International Business Machines employed over 300,000 people?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.