Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
My iPad Pro 12.9 from Verizon should be here today. But wanted to get any input from people about the Brydge products. Has anyone used these keyboard? What are your thoughts on them?

BRYDGE PRO+ Wireless Keyboard w/Trackpad for iPad Pro

TP-12-Brydge-top-down-sg_2000x_1e60f028-9ef1-46f6-9f18-88454f17c20f_2000x.png

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Have one (without trackpad) for my IPP 2018. It is very pretty looking and gives a premium look experience which I feel is best suited to if you working from a desk. It is nice to have backlit keys and the typing experience is okay. Points which distract from it are it is quite heavy, the hinge for me is too weak mine bent slightly and I was slightly frustrated with the slight lag that bluetooth keyboards can have, especially as came from the Apple Smart Keyboard. I eventually went back to the Apple Smart Keyboard due to its convenience and not needing to worry about charging it or waiting for bluetooth to kick in sometimes. I would recommend maybe something cheaper and the Apple Magic Trackpad 2 or if you want full package wait and see the reviews for the new apple magic keyboard.

Reactions: jamezr

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Ok, that review is about as damning as any i've read :D
So either they fix the experience, or that device will probably vanish quickly.

This is good to know though, so you are prepared, if you decide to try it. Also, Apple may be getting a lot of requests for third party support, it's early yet. Something is wrong here though. Then again, it might just be junk. I do find it odd they would send a substandard device to someone for a review.

Last edited:
Reactions: ascender

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
I know, it's inexplicable. There's details missing in regards to this review. Or perhaps it should labeled 'preview'

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
So it's great unless you want to use the trackpad. Maybe firmware upgrades will improve that but you have to wonder why Brydge would give an early version to a reviewer without providing caveats on its current state.

There was similar feedback (no pun intended) on preview devices a while back, but I guess things haven’t improved. I don’t know if Apple’s native cursor support has just complicated things further for them?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hopefully they read that review and have software updates waiting to fix the issues.

Then again maybe that review was pure rubbish......

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hopefully they read that review and have software updates waiting to fix the issues.

Then again maybe that review was pure rubbish......
All of the reviews I've seen all seem to share being unsatisfied with the trackpad.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
All of the reviews I've seen all seem to share being unsatisfied with the trackpad.
What other reviews have you seen for BRYDGE PRO+ Wireless Keyboard w/Trackpad for iPad Pro? It hasn't been released yet. Most reviews post pictures along with the reviews. I am suspect of things without some of the more reputable reviewers coming out with their reviews.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What other reviews have you seen for BRYDGE PRO+ Wireless Keyboard w/Trackpad for iPad Pro? It hasn't been released yet. Most reviews post pictures along with the reviews. I am suspect of things without some of the more reputable reviewers coming out with their reviews.
I only read them in passing, but here's one https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/3/21206568/brydge-pro-plus-review-ipad-pro-keyboard-trackpad
Not so much a review, but Federico Viticci is a very vocal fan of working with iPads and he said this about it:

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
hmmm disappointing...I preordered and they supposed to start shipping this week.
Not sure whether to cancel now or wait and see if they have the issues worked out.

But the Verge does say the below so that is a glimmer of hope.
For me, at least, this is a better feeling keyboard than anything Apple makes.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
One use that the Magic might not be good for is using Sidecar. Since this is Bluetooth, it can be synced to a Mac. You would need this to use sidecar.

I'm pretty sure Apple could hack this also, but presently i don't think it will work. Not sure.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Judging from some of the initial reviews, it seems that the trackpad does not work as well as previous advertised. This could be because Apple’s official trackpad/mouse support came after Brydge announced theirs. Since the keyboard is still in pre-order phase, Brydge can work out the fixes.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Judging from some of the initial reviews, it seems that the trackpad does not work as well as previous advertised. This could be because Apple’s official trackpad/mouse support came after Brydge announced theirs. Since the keyboard is still in pre-order phase, Brydge can work out the fixes.
I think it has more to do with gestures and apple stopping certain features...don’t think this is anything brydge can do.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think it has more to do with gestures and apple stopping certain features...don’t think this is anything brydge can do.
I think you are right. I think Apple does prevent some features from working on third party products to get people to buy their own branded offerings.

I am looking forward to the Brydge Pro+. I don't care as much about gestures on the device...as long as it functions like a normal laptop trackpad.

Reactions: Mcdj18

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Apparently Apple worked with Logitech for the new keyboard that works with the 10.2 and 10.5" iPads, and all the gestures do work. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple is now prevented from being able to work with Brydge because of that work.

Reactions: Mcdj18

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I think you are right. I think Apple does prevent some features from working on third party products to get people to buy their own branded offerings.

I am looking forward to the Brydge Pro+. I don't care as much about gestures on the device...as long as it functions like a normal laptop trackpad.

The way it was described on a couple of podcasts was that its more akin to a traditional Bluetooth mouse rather than a trackpad. There was also mention of a couple of scrolling bugs with it.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Brydge’s trackpad was developed around software that was still using the pointer support in a mostly beta-like form. It’s entirely possible that Apple’s trackpad support changed entirely under-the-hood, and that’s why Brydge’s trackpad is suffering. I would chalk this up as poor timing for Brydge. I think they will very likely be able to correct most, if not all of the issues but it’s not always best to be first to the market on these things.

Apple needed to fill in the supply gap for the non-pro iPad market, and I think that’s why they chose to work closely with a third party on those models, and put their internal design focus on the Pro models.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Since the Pro+ is still in pre-order phase, nothing is official. They may be still working to fix the track-pad scroll lag.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Would imagine a hardware update would be needed and should be easy to do. Brydge though will no doubt take a hit with this, with their only saving grace that it is cheaper to buy. Be interesting to see how they react as the hinge design which is a strength is also the greatest flaw. Plus with Logitech upping their game with trackpad support to its latest IPad offerings, I am hoping the competition will see Brydge and others up their game.

Reactions: JayMysterio

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Totally agree, there’s a chance for Brydge to turn this around and their offering is different enough to the Magic Keyboard (not to mention cheaper) that there should still be a market for it. I’d be nervous about ordering one until they’ve managed to fix the issues though.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
It's a different design. The Magic is a bit weird, and less of a laptop type of thing. I'll try both, and it's possible I'll like the Bridge more. After looking at the Apple offering for a while now, Brydge is starting to look better

The problem remains the trackpad responsiveness, which apparently is sub-optimal.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.