Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Members of Parliament (MPs) are calling for the British government to make a bid for Apple to build its long-rumored electric vehicle in the United Kingdom, according to The Telegraph.

Apple-car-wheel-icon-feature-blue.jpg

James Sunderland, Conservative MP for Bracknell, said that it was a "no brainer" for Britain to build the Apple car, and that the UK government should begin to bid for production contracts with Apple. Nick Fletcher, Conservative MP for Doncaster, added that Apple car production represented an opportunity for "engaging with new, innovative industries that help boost economic growth while helping the environment."

Sunderland, a port city in the north-east of England, is already home to the production of the fully-electric Nissan Leaf in Europe. Marco Longhi, Conservative MP for Dudley North, said Apple could offer a major boost to areas of the UK with long-standing automotive expertise.

"This would be a fantastic investment for the Midlands and the Black Country," he said. "This will mean jobs for people locally and it would be an endorsement of UK plc in a post-Brexit environment."

Considering that the Apple car has not yet been announced, with it looking as though production may not begin for another three years, it is surprising that politicians are already discussing the vehicle. The possibility of Apple car production in the UK may seek to counter the country's loss of a Tesla Gigafactory to Berlin, when Elon Musk was searching for a location for a new European manufacturing hub in 2019.

Mike Hawes, chief executive of the Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders, said that the British government is actively working with companies to attract investment into domestic battery gigafactories, and a spokesperson for the UK government's Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy told The Telegraph that they could not comment on speculation around commercial contracts with Apple.

The only location that has seen significant attention for potential Apple car production so far is Kia's West Point plant in the U.S. state of Georgia, but Apple's partnership with Hyundai and Kia on the project has now been brought into question since talks were paused earlier this month.

Article Link: Build Apple Car in the UK, British Members of Parliament Urge

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Considering that the Apple car has not yet been announced, with it looking as though production may not begin for another three years, it is surprising that politicians are already discussing the vehicle

It's not that surprising when you remember that this is Conservative British MPs, who will no doubt be crowing next week to their constituents about our "world beating automotive industry, where Apple wants to build its car", and pointing to this MacRumors article as evidence.

joiwomcow

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2017
Politically, it would be insane for Apple to build in the UK. Think "US defence contractors" - distribute your contracts over powerful states, and these states then have a vested interest in keeping you afloat.
A factory in the US makes a ton of sense. So does a factory in Europe, especially given German automotive expertise.
A factory in the UK makes no sense. Politically, you gain just one medium sized country, vs one huge one (US) or 27 small-medium ones (EU). Technologically, Germany is leagues ahead. The UK car industry is an assembly plant for Japan, plus a couple of niche boutique brands (mostly foreign owned).

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
In North America, Apple’s “car” would probably need to be truck-ish or SUV-ish.

Canada and Britain have a free trade agreement. Apple could have a “designed in California“ vehicle with manufacturing in the US, Canada, and Britain.

An auto business in Canada built Ford’s current GT super car.

Canada is a good place to outsource EV production.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
This is a strange pitch … "Come build your cars here. It would be awesome for us."

It's sounds a bit like the "Give us a better Brexit deal. Our population has clearly voted." logic.

When making a deal the other side doesn't care how much you want it. If anything it weakens your negatiating position.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Politically, it would be insane for Apple to build in the UK. Think "US defence contractors" - distribute your contracts over powerful states, and these states then have a vested interest in keeping you afloat.
A factory in the US makes a ton of sense. So does a factory in Europe, especially given German automotive expertise.
A factory in the UK makes no sense. Politically, you gain just one medium sized country, vs one huge one (US) or 27 small-medium ones (EU). Technologically, Germany is leagues ahead. The UK car industry is an assembly plant for Japan, plus a couple of niche boutique brands (mostly foreign owned).
The best car engineers are positioned in the UK , It may surprise you but the Merceds F1 team is stated in the UK , the engine is being manufactured and designed in the UK , most of the teams reside in the UK (putting Ferrari aside).

So , no , Germany are not leagues ahead , they have very good efficient factories due to the German culture of producing things , but in regards to tech and engineering talent ? not even close , the UK have special masters programs for car engineering , the best programs in the world.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
I don't mind where Apple decide to build their car, just so long as they remember to put the steering wheel on the correct (right-hand) side for the UK. Apple (and if I'm honest, American companies in general) don't exactly have a great track record for remembering other parts of the world exist or that they do things differently.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
I don't mind where Apple decide to build their car, just so long as they remember to put the steering wheel on the correct (right-hand) side for the UK. Apple (and if I'm honest, American companies in general) don't exactly have a great track record for remembering other parts of the world exist or that they do things differently.
If the rumours of this being a level 5 automated car are true there won’t even be a steering wheel.

Reactions: KeithBN

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
If James Sunderland wanted a British car industry perhaps he should have thought twice before voting for Brexit.

Brexit has been a disaster for the British car industry, investment has plummeted and we are about to lose the Honda plant. No doubt more will follow.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple will build it where they get the most incentives.
Good build quality would be a good incentive. Easy access to the whole of the EU market would be a good incentive. And the British government can't make a bid, they can't build cars. They can encourage car manufacturers to make a bid using a factory in the UK.

Reactions: vionc and zeezun

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Another thing is to use the correct back mirrors. They are different for left hand drive and right hand drive. Because the _driver_ and _passenger_ back mirrors must be different. But actually, since you are not supposed to use the steering wheel a lot, maybe just leave the steering wheel on the left side.

Reactions: page3

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
You can just smell the desperation.

Local slimeball politicians beg multiglobal tech firm to build unconfirmed and unannounced vehicle project in their backwater, just so they can justify their own feckless existence.
Well perhaps it's a more optimistic asperation to persuade Apple to build a car in the UK, than the prospect of getting Apple to pay taxes here?

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
a spokesperson for the UK government's Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy told The Telegraph that they could not comment on speculation around commercial contracts with Apple.
After seeing how Apple quickly abandoned talks with Hyundai over leaking their conversations, I think that’s a good idea.

That being said, it sounds like if they really are on their hands and knees begging Apple to do this, I’m sure Apple could use it to their advantage, brokering deals. I’m honestly fine with it as long as the car comes to America as well. (You know, where the company is actually based).

Would Europe scoring the manufacturing of the Apple Car help in negotiations with the antitrust lawsuits the EU government is currently slapping Apple with? Lessen their chokehold in squeezing dimes and nickels out of Apple? Doubt it.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Dear America, Build some of your cars in the UK. We will give you tonnes of fresh lobster that we can't ship to the EU now for love nor money. But your cars will be OK. Honest. Brexit friction will magically disappear when the Europeans realise they need us more than we need them!

/s

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
As far as I understand, the only "winners" of Brexit are the tens of thousand of persons needed to deal with all the custom declarations. Even the UK government suggest companies to also set up shop in EU countries to avoid the bureaucracy. Why would Apple build cars in UK?

UK has always been strong on R&D but I take a mass produced German car anytime over a mass produced British car. R&D and implementation is not the same thing.

I consider myself as being an Anglophil but this Brexit is beyond my understanding and, I think, a sad outcome of wishes to be world leaders again and not only someone in the EU crowd. Downing Street better not loose Scotland or it looks really bleak with their empire dreams.

Rojaaemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2016
Based on recent events, Apple’s reaction to them, and Apple’s self-described “urgent responsibility to dismantle systemic racism and grow opportunities for people confronting it every day," it is clear to me that the UK does not have enough diversity in their population (e.g. only 3% African Anglicans) to qualify for an Apple factory of such importance.

Build the Apple Auto in Detroit (80% African American!), so famous for producing automobiles it is known as “Motor City”.

Last edited:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Feckless conservative politician who supported a nationalist feel good but harmful retrograde Brexit which has decimated auto manufacturing in the UK now wants a future auto to be made there?

Not gonna happen. That horse has Ford in the burning barn.

One day, it’s possible but not probable the UK may score new auto manufacturing once it rejoins the EU but that will be in 10-15 years, after the breakup of the UK, entry at the cost of dropping the pound for the Euro and no recovery of the British special rebate or the prestige of being one of the leaders.

I imagine before long his mind will be captured with some fool’s errand like punishing Scotland to prevent it from leaving the Union.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.