Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I played though the early part of Apotheosis X and although nostalgic, I’m sad to say it too dated for my tastes. :( So a reboot of Marathon, I’d immediately be thinking Halo which the series overall was excellent, yet I wonder how they will distinguish it from Halo which I’ve always considered to be the defacto Marathon sequel. Possibly go back to the original story and environmental touches. 🤔

Fair enough - I mean Aleph One is much like GZDOOM in that despite the codebase improvements and graphical enhancements, it still very much is the old engine tech underneath. If you're accustomed to the look and feel of modern engines like Unreal Engine and Unity, it can be challenging to go to a game based off of Marathon.

It gets better as you progress further The Maps start getting crazy big and the graphics and colors keep it all interesting.

Oh yes, absolutely. One you get down to the surface of Fenris the game play maps get incredibly huge, with a level of architectural detail that I haven't seen in a long time. The color palette does lean towards orange and brown for most of the game, but for later levels there's enough variety to keep things interesting.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I've installed both AlephOne and Apotheosis X and have it running. This is really Marathon and as primitive graphically as the original so far, but I just started it. I suppose this is as far as the Aleph One Engine can go.

Aleph One actually introduced a lot of modernizations and improvements including OpenGL rendering as well as improved audio and netcode, as well as support for advanced scripting allowing for features like precipitation – so it's really more than just a straight-up port of the original engine from 1994 to modern computers. ;) For a scenario that really pushes the engine to the limits of what it can do, Marathon Istoria introduced PiD-style NPC interaction and RPG elements into the game.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Sony bought Bungie? wasn't bungie owned by Microsoft? Or did Microsoft just buy Halo?

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Sony bought Bungie? wasn't bungie owned by Microsoft? Or did Microsoft just buy Halo?
Microsoft bought Bungie, set them free after Halo 3 (but kept the Halo IP), they worked with Activision on Destiny 1&2 then Sony bought them up probably because MS bought Bethesda.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.