Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7,1 or M3 Max studio for protools home studio

• Total voters

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
f you plan to get a few memory modules at a time, you get some extra considerations. And can not use LR-DIMMs. See Apple's note in the photo.

I know which ones to get, just don't feel like buying all 12 of them at once. ;) I'll get the RAM in time.

I was looking at memory.net for the RAM, I haven't looked anywhere else to see if it is available cheaper, but looking now everything is around the same price (USD$500-600 per chip).

Last edited:
Reactions: Regulus67

Rimmsi

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2021
Czech Republic
I ordered a Xeon W-3265M today from China. Almost all the 28-core CPUs are sold, and more expensive $1900.
The 24-core CPUs was added May 10th (yesterday) at $1100.
😊
When you receive your 28 core processor will your 16 core processor be for sale? Thank you.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^That's what I did. When I upgraded to the 16 core, I bought from a member here who upgraded to a 24 core. A win/win👍🏻

Lou

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Looks like the MPX modules are still sold out on Apple USA website:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ093AM/A/radeon-pro-w6800x-duo-mpx-module

1715562259461.png

They are still showing available in Australia however.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
The Mac Pro use thicker PCIe slot covers, so the audio card was loose. I added a bit of carton to make it sit tight.

IMG_7294.jpeg
IMG_7293.jpeg

The card is not working yet. It was recognised at first, but produced no sound.
This seems to be a driver issue. And now it does not show in the hardware list, nor in Audio settings.

I am going to test it in a PC. To be sure the card functions properly.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Nobody looks at the back......still looks sleek even in silver....;)

I have mine installed in a cupboard with the back facing outwards, so it vents into the room, and I can get to the ports. Not only is the silver of my Highpoint vaguely annoying, the built-in covers / mpx grills project several millimetres outwards, so the highpoint is an indent as well. 😅

Reactions: MarkC426

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
They are still showing available in Australia however.

Update on this - I was speaking with Apple on my order and the cards are definitely still available from the suppliers. I queried it because I got a refund of my payment because the process was taking so long. Apparently when the things are shipped then the billing will happen again.

I don't see why those cards (and other parts) aren't available in other countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regulus67

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Thanks for the update avro707.
It is strange because the parts was removed at New Year, in Sweden. If they are still available, why have they been missing in the Apple store for almost 6 months now? And I have never seen the SSD kits for the new AS Mac Pro.

In the US, at least the parts are listed, even if they are sold out. Which suggest they could become available again.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I ended up voting for the M3 studio.

I have tested the HDSPe AIO in two Mac Pro 2019 with Monterey and Sonoma. And in a PC with Windows 7 Pro.
The card is not discovered in any machine anymore.

Others have also had issues with similar cards, although a full shutdown, and test in different machines did not work in my case.
RME user forum HDSPe AIO
forum RayDAT "But we got mixed (to say it positively) feedback about the new Mac Pro's audio performance, so just try it."

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

I have tested the HDSPe AIO in two Mac Pro 2019 with Monterey and Sonoma. And in a PC with Windows 7 Pro.

Others have also had issues with similar cards, although a full shutdown, and test in different machines did not work in my case.
RME user forum HDSPe AIO
forum RayDAT "But we got mixed (to say it positively) feedback about the new Mac Pro's audio performance, so just try it."

There are some fed up people there! :oops: That equipment isn't necessary for my work thankfully so I can stay well clear of that.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008

RME user forum HDSPe AIO
Quote says pretty disappointment in RME. Factually, RME have the best drivers in the business. As mentioned there's no known history issues. More than likely a bad card?

Last edited:

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Quote says pretty disappointment in RME. Factually, RME have the best drivers in the business. As mentioned there's no known history issues. More than likely a bad card?
I tested it in my Mac Pro 3.1. It is dead.
Could it have been damaged while it was installed in the Mac Pro 7.1?
It moved a bit when I plugged in the optical line, as the backplate was not secured. Like I have mentioned earlier.

Because of this, I have not complained to the seller on eBay. I fear I am at fault here.
TotalMix FX ran the first time. But has refused to open in any instance since. Thus, my suspicion that I damaged the card when I had not secured it properly 😟

Still. I have not given up just yet. I ordered another card from a seller in Sweden, national market.
And it is Rev 1.4, not Rev 1.3 as my faulty is.

I'll test the card in a PC, before I try again in the Mac Pro. To verify it is functional before I proceed.
Will keep you updated. As we should know if these cards works well in our machines ;)

Last edited:

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Update on the RME HDSPe AIO Revision 4.

I got the second card today. First I tested it in a PC, and it worked well.
Installed it in the Mac Pro, making sure it was secured in place.

The already installed programs loaded upon login. A good sign.

RME programs.png

The card looks good. But I have not yet figured out how to get sound from the optical line out. Which was fairly easy under Windows 7. SPDIF Out Optical, and I got sound output.

Hammerfall.jpeg

I looked at the Settings and the Totalmix, and saw audio levels being monitored.

HDSPE settings.png
Headphones output ok.png

With headphones connected I can hear the audio :D

auxilary.jpeg

I changed my vote to 7.1

• Haha
Reactions: avro707

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
That is fantastic news bud.

I have a different interface, but I know that everything needs to be locked to a sample rate on my rig.

Also your monitors do except optical right ?

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
That is fantastic news bud.

I have a different interface, but I know that everything needs to be locked to a sample rate on my rig.
I have no idea how this works. My first use with hardware like this. This is nothing like a sound card I ever used.
With 18 input and 20 outputs, there is a ton I have to learn.
Here I was, thinking cool, this will give me a ton of options to use the turntable, cassette player, CD player, and microphone. Perhaps even a 25 year old MIDI keyboard that has been in storage the past two decades.

Then I hit the wall, and are trying to see if there is some way to climb up.
I will have to look into sample rates, if you need to lock them. Guess I will have to as well. And how to set up the I/O

Also your monitors do except optical right ?
What are you asking here?

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Awesome. Everything is on a learning curve. I have been recording for 23 years now. What's cool is that I've recorded many musicians who paid close to $30,000 to learn Pro Tools, and they ask me, What school did I learn Pro Tools? I tell them free YouTube (LOL).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.