Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7,1 or M3 Max studio for protools home studio

• Total voters

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Every time I see a new post regarding the eBay offers from Cali, I really really want to get one.
Even with the $350 shipping to the UK, it's an absolute steal.
What about looking in Germany or France?
I have been looking for a Pro Display XDR, and saw one on auction in Germany, but he didn't offer shipping.

I contacted him, as no one was making a bid, and asked if he would be willing to ship to Sweden.
He agreed, and added international shipping. I lost the auction to a person in the UK, that placed a bid I didn't see on the German ebay 😮

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 19.17.02.png

I was very lucky though. As one was offered the next day in Norway, on a national market. I quickly offered to purchase it. And picked it up the next day, while I went to visit a friend and deliver a package he had asked me to order from Amazon. Which didn't ship to Norway. Turned out the Display was sold about 500 meters from his apartment 😁

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I am really beginnning to hate this thread......😭
Every time I see a new post regarding the eBay offers from Cali, I really really want to get one.
Even with the $350 shipping to the UK, it's an absolute steal.

BUT after contemplation I always come back to 'I really don't need it'.
I should unwatch it so I am not tempted.....😁

It's great to see so many people getting these great bargains though.
This must be the biggest Mac price saving in history.

Go, you know you want to get it! ;)

I only did quick functional tests on my machine last night for about an hour but it seems good. I loaded up Zwift - that it didn’t even care about, it used 1% of the CPU. :) it feels like this machine will have a huge amount of extra capacity in hand.

I’ll see how it goes on the Premiere today. Also will do Windows 11 Pro for Workstations.

I have an LG 5K and Apple Studio display so I’m just completely ignoring the post above for as long as I possibly can. I’d love an XDR display though. It first to max out the computer itself.

Reactions: MarkC426

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Go, you know you want to get it! ;)

I only did quick functional tests on my machine last night for about an hour but it seems good. I loaded up Zwift - that it didn’t even care about, it used 1% of the CPU. :) it feels like this machine will have a huge amount of extra capacity in hand.

I’ll see how it goes on the Premiere today. Also will do Windows 11 Pro for Workstations.

I have an LG 5K and Apple Studio display so I’m just completely ignoring the post above for as long as I possibly can. I’d love an XDR display though. It first to max out the computer itself.

Are the new Pro Art 8k 32" displays likely to work on 2019s, either via thunderbolt or DP?

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
That’s quite interesting and useful. If only the back plate was black to go with our machines. ;)

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I suspect they are not using Opencore or Monterey - which is where both of my 5,1s come unstuck. They both do forbidden sign on a restart, but work fine on cold boot.

First it was supposed to be the Samsung SSDs, so those drives got replaced with a different brand and then they still did the same. Other than that they are fine - Opencore definitely is running. It's too much bother to troubleshoot more.

Is an almost 14 year old machine a good choice to keep going in a production environment, with very old electronics and the known parts that can fail over time? Note the warnings on the firmware topics and the firmware rebuilds being done. Also the lack of parts that will eventually occur over time. My 7,1 is still under Applecare and relatively new so it has support.
Yeah I hear ya. But man who can ask for more than what these beast have been able to accomplish after 14 years. I still can't hear my fan running.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I ordered another 7.1 from Germany last night, for €2.399
16-core, 96GB RAM, 2TB SSD and Radeon Pro 580X.

I have two options, keep it or resell it. In either case, I will install my Vega II in it. As i have two new W6800X Duos.

Will try to sell it in Norway, as a way to get money for my graphic card.
Nobody wanted to purchase the Vega II by itself (in Sweden).
If I manage to sell it, I am aiming for CPU upgrade to 24 or 28-core. And 8TB SSD, if I can find a kit for a reasonable price. Or a Mac Pro with those specs.

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
If I manage to sell it, I am aiming for CPU upgrade to 24 or 28-core. And 8TB SSD, if I can find a kit for a reasonable price. Or a Mac Pro with those specs.

The 28 core is great - runs very nicely and cool as well. I am extremely pleased with mine.

To change it is easy, just make sure you have the required T15 Torx screwdriver that is long (the bit must be 152mm long). I used Noctua thermal paste and cut a bit of plastic from an ice-cream container lid as a spatula to spread the thermal paste evenly. I didn't have the Wera torque adjustable screwdriver, so just used my small adjustable torque wrench (for bicycles) with a fitting for the T15x152mm bit. That did the job perfectly for tightening the 2 heatsink screws. Of all the Mac Pros, the 7,1 is by far the easiest to work on.

I'm debating now to just get a second W6800X 32GB because the Duo looks very hard to find at decent prices for those of us in the middle of an ocean far away from the rest of the world. ;) Still want the 2x Duo set up just to have this thing maxxed out in its crazy spec. RAM I can get any time, so don't care about that.

I'm kicking myself I didn't order the Duo to start with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regulus67

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Very nice to hear your thoughts and experience on the 28-core. As I know you upgraded from the 16-core.

The Duo card is hard to find, even used ones. And I have never seen a used W6900X for sale.
I'm kicking myself I didn't order the Duo to start with.
Who would have guessed that Apple would not offer the next Radeon generation, or any AMD card support in the future?
A very different situation from what one would have expected, from the history of Mac Pro 4.1 and 5.1.

Despite the very PRO level and price for the 7.1 machines.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I believe that is the one I bought. Not sure why it doesn't say the last was sold

View attachment 2374474

edit: it is sold if you check the link again

View attachment 2374482
All the 7.1's on the UK store are at least 3-3.5k.....:confused:
That is a fantastic price.

Maybe a daft question, but how do you get the English text on German EBay....?
It's all in German for me and meaningless (or are you on Sweden eBay, in English?)

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Does anyone know if you buy one of the 'ipower' machines, can you get Apple Care from Apple if they are Brand new/refurbs...?
Does Apple still offer AC for intel macs?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Does anyone know if you buy one of the 'ipower' machines, can you get Apple Care from Apple if they are Brand new/refurbs...?

Doubt it as these would have been sold to Meta or whoever and just not opened. You can only add AppleCare within X days of purchase, which would have been some time ago now.

Maybe official refurbs through the Apple store only?

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Maybe a daft question, but how do you get the English text on German EBay....?
It's all in German for me and meaningless (or are you on Sweden eBay, in English?)
I understand German, but you can let Safari do the translation. I use translate sometimes on Russian pages

translate.png

Or highlight the text you need translated. I did that with an ebay offer in Italy (Italian to English)

Last edited:

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
The US buyers will get it. But in other regions?
From what I have understood, no. I believe the US is one region, the EU another, and so on. But someone might know for sure, if Apple give support for products purchased outside of the region.

Will a product be eligible in the UK, if purchased in EU? Perhaps. Asking Apple directly might be the best option

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
All the 7.1's on the UK store are at least 3-3.5k.....:confused:
That is a fantastic price.
I used vpn to connect to a server in the UK. And tested ebay on both the UK and the German versions.
As you said, the offers are NOT the same. The German offers are removed in the listing, as they don't offer shipping to the UK.

That is what happened to me when I wanted to make a bid on the Pro Display XDR, and contacted the German seller with a message. As I found it when I logged in from a German server. Asking if he would ship to Sweden. He changed the offer, but didn't limit shipping to the EU. Thus, it was sold to someone in the UK ;)

I have been looking at one 7.1 with 28-core and 8TB SSD, from a privat seller. It does not show up when I log in from Sweden, but I saved the web address. So I can still use that link to see if it is still for sale.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
@Regulus67 - what GPU temps do you see on your Duos when they are working hard?

In windows my regular W6800X is getting 85-90C in heavy use and I’m cranking the case fans up to bring that down.

I have heard some reports on the Duos also running hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.