Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7,1 or M3 Max studio for protools home studio

• Total voters

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Without nit-picking....the listing is for a company that sells refurbished and used Macs.
It says it's opened and tagged.....but not used (is it really though)...?

Why would someone buy 96 Macs and then open them all, but not use them.
I didn't do a whole lot of investigating as I wasn't a serious buyer. Maybe they bought them directly from Apple as a clearance.

Reactions: MarkC426

Kaspin

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
I bought a 7,1 Rack from that same seller about a month ago. It was an apple refurbished unit, and was still wrapped in all the protective packaging as it comes from apple, only the outer brown box was cut open. I believe they're a liquidator that buys from other companies that are going out of business or otherwise clearing out units from their IT depts.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Without nit-picking....the listing is for a company that sells refurbished and used Macs.

Some of them look like Apple certified refurbished from what I could see (had the sticker on the box).

Just seems odd doesn’t it.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

Who knows, maybe they bought a whole batch from another company that had 100 of them but they were liquidated at some auction...there's a ton of feedback with verified purchases that are positive.

anyway,....haha

MacGarage

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Ohio
FYI, they bumped up the price up to $2699 on eBay or $2499 on their website. Their website, as of yesterday, still had the $2099 cost.

I was on the fence about waiting for an M3 Studio or this for a short-term solution. The bump in price has me in the Studio camp now.

My understanding is this large number of units were from Meta.

Last edited:

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
FYI, they bumped up the price up to $2699 on eBay or $2499 on their website. Their website, as of yesterday, still had the $2099 cost.

I was on the fence about waiting for an M3 Studio or this for a short-term solution. The bump in price has me in the Studio camp now.

My understanding is this large number of units were from Meta.
They're now at $2,999 on Ebay.

• Haha

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Perhaps they lowered the asking price, seeing that there was not many customers. When they get a huge response, they might reason. Well, looks like people still want these machines, so let's bump it back up and see if we can make profit on them after all. As they might have had good enough business for the month.

This is just speculation on my part, of course

Reactions: Harry Haller

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Perhaps they lowered the asking price, seeing that there was not many customers. When they get a huge response, they might reason. Well, looks like people still want these machines, so let's bump it back up and see if we can make profit on them after all. As they might have had good enough business for the month.

This is just speculation on my part, of course
I reached out to them and was told it was a promotional price and that it had expired.

Reactions: MacGarage

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I reached out to them and was told it was a promotional price and that it had expired.
It was cool they did that. And the response here was also heartening. So it isn't just some odd stalemates like me who like these machines 😆

Just for fun you. When the Mac Pro 7.1 was launched it cost around four gold coins (1oz), or more.
And now it could have been purchased for 1 gold coin (1oz).

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 21.14.02.png

I expect some good joke about that in the comments ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
It was cool they did that. And the response here was also heartening. So it isn't just some odd stalemates like me who like these machines 😆
In a way I am glad it's not available anymore...I was struggling to hold back on buying one. It was a great price but I am hesitant to buy a 7,1 due to Apple closing off the system. Not to mention I have an M1 Studio Ultra (in stock configuration) which would outperform this Mac Pro.

Photios

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
If you go to their website, they sell computers there too. This particular model is for sale, but you get to choose the configuration that you want... ram, ssd, etc. Here's the interesting thing, this particular model is $2699 on their site, I guess due to the fact they don't have to pay eBay fees... If you choose for ram, 192gb instead of 96gb, the price drops to $2328. They offer a full 1 year warranty, and the computer is brand new!

Reactions: MacGarage

MacGarage

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Ohio
If you go to their website, they sell computers there too. This particular model is for sale, but you get to choose the configuration that you want... ram, ssd, etc. Here's the interesting thing, this particular model is $2699 on their site, I guess due to the fact they don't have to pay eBay fees... If you choose for ram, 192gb instead of 96gb, the price drops to $2328. They offer a full 1 year warranty, and the computer is brand new!

"...just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Ah crap! So for another $128 I get twice the RAM! As MacGarage said!

EDIT: When you add it to your cart the price changes from $2,328 to $3,261.44.

Last edited:

MacGarage

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Ohio

I was actually going to pull the trigger this time! I had it in my cart at checkout on Wednesday at the $2099 price and bailed.
Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 3.00.58 PM.png

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
Facebook marketplace.
Definitely dodgy, as soon as I asked to see it working I got ghosted.
All the the better, IMO.

I work in a video production department where we have a few 7.1's. Our editors recently got M2pro laptops and there is absolutely no comparison. The M2pros (laptops!) are so much faster than the 7.1's in every way it's kinda comical.
If you're buying nowadays, I wouldn't buy anything other than an M-series mac. Unless of course you have a very narrow use cases that requires Intel.

Photios

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009

DANG!!!!! Good thing I pulled the trigger last night! The low price was still in effect this morning when I checked. I figured it was a configuration that just was not "checked" when they increased the prices.

Photios

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009

Actually... the price is still $2328. I just checked, for the 192gb version. Make sure when on their website that you select the computer on the left (Brand New). Then select 192gb ram, 2tb SSD and 5500x graphics card.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Actually... the price is still $2328. I just checked, for the 192gb version. Make sure when on their website that you select the computer on the left (Brand New). Then select 192gb ram, 2tb SSD and 5500x graphics card.
It shows the $2,328 in the configurator but after I click "Continue" the price bumps up to $3,261.44. Is it not doing that for you?

Photios

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
It shows the $2,328 in the configurator but after I click "Continue" the price bumps up to $3,261.44. Is it not doing that for you?
Oh, my! You are right. That's a bummer! I'm not sure when that change occurred... perhaps right after they caught my order this morning.

Reactions: m1maverick
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.