Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
I was debating the same thing as I have a 12.9” 2018 Wifi iPad Pro which started getting slow and the battery life hasn’t been the best, plus it’s been heavy to travel with.

I ended up finding a new 11” M2 iPad Pro with Cellular for the same price as the Wifi version + additional 20% off through a family member’s discount at a department store. I decided to pull the plug rather than wait for a refreshed iPad Pro which will probably be even more expensive. I’d say get the current one if you can get some kind of deal.

I also managed to sell the 5 year old iPad Pro for $400 CAD which I thought was pretty great.

daizone

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Personally I’m waiting. If the price or new features aren’t worth it just get the previous model at discounted prices. I’m ready to finally upgrade my iPad Air 2. Battery is shot so can only use it plugged in. Looking at the rumored 11” if it does boast the oled screen.

Reactions: ThailandToo

solardudesf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
If your iPad is 2018 model and it still has the original battery then that seems like you've done very well with that battery. I would just explain to the Apple store folks what your typical battery life is and how you use the iPad, and insist that they change it. In fact you can make an appointment online (go to Support on the Apple website) for battery replacement and that might bypass the whole "its not below 80%" discussion.

My one experience was with an iPhone a few years ago. I paid for the battery to be replaced because I was in getting ready to give it to a family member and wanted the battery to be fresh. They didn't have a problem with doing it for me, and the battery was not below 80% in that case, although I can't tell you exactly what the battery level was at that time.

Thanks. I have definitely done well with the original battery. Good to know about your experience and gives me hope that I might find a different person who will okay the battery replacement. I have gone both to the Apple Store and the support website and tried to schedule the battery service for my iPad only to be shot down.

I have had a similar experience as you replacing the batteries in both my iPhones and Apple Watches. For some reason (maybe just bad luck) Apple seems to be treating the iPad as a different case for me.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Thanks. I have definitely done well with the original battery. Good to know about your experience and gives me hope that I might find a different person who will okay the battery replacement. I have gone both to the Apple Store and the support website and tried to schedule the battery service for my iPad only to be shot down.

I have had a similar experience as you replacing the batteries in both my iPhones and Apple Watches. For some reason (maybe just bad luck) Apple seems to be treating the iPad as a different case for me.
Unfortauntely it's not going to work, they told me that with iPhone I don't need to be below 80%, but with iPad you do, since they don't replace the battery but the whole device. I have tried with several iPads, in different ways, there is no way, you'll just waste your time (but if you still want to try, report back your experience here, it will be useful for other people)

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
I’m thinking of going with the 12.9 for split view and note taking but I like the size of the 11”. Do you use your 12.9 in split view regularly? I’m worried the 11 is too small to not take and split view
I dont, but if u plan to use the Split View regularly I would prefer the 12.9.

Reactions: Matcha

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
Hi All I know this is a personal decision but I have an 11” 2018 iPad Pro WiFi + Cellular. Love the thing thing and it has served me well but the battery life is pretty awful these days (and Apple won’t replace the battery even if I will pay for it since they claim it isn’t under 80%). I’m itching to get a new iPad Pro. I know the new ones are due in a month or two and will have oled screens and not sure what other new features. Also heard they will be quite a bit more expensive. I can get a good deal on a new 1-2TB (meaning more ram as well) 2022 M2 iPad Pro WiFi + Cellular in the $1200-1300 range on eBay. What do people think? Sit and wait and pay a bit more or just go for the older one at a good price. Thanks for the feedback.
Just wait might as well have the latest and greatest

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
They treat iPad as a different case, because they have to exchange the whole iPad, for the price of a battery. So they try to avoid it as much as they can, but if your battery is below the 80% of the capacity, they should proceed with the battery exchange.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It usually goes from 100% to dead in a few hours now. I use iMazing which shows the battery right at 80% capacity. Just need the iPad to last longer and Apple will not replace the battery. Their diagnostics claim 87%. That is definitely incorrect and leads me to believe they have no intention of ever letting me replace the battery.

Seems like people overwhelmingly thinking wait. I’m thinking that is pretty good advice (especially considering the new ones are so close). Just need to be patient. I still may opt for an M2 depending on the prices of the new ones, but guessing I’ll get an even better deal as many have mentioned.

Thanks all!
I’m curious - cycle count?

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
+1

We can only spectulate on new features ( 🙏 landscape camera) and there might be some surprises that you really want. If not, you'll get a good deal on an M2.
Incoming anecdote warning!

See, that landscape camera is an odd one for me. On my 12.9” iPP, it’s a no-brainer. That thing rarely gets handheld in portrait. But with my 11” iPP, it was closer to 50/50. On a mini, it would spend 99%+ of its time handheld, mostly in portrait… and thus a landscape FaceID system would become bothersome…

Reactions: geta

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I’m thinking of going with the 12.9 for split view and note taking but I like the size of the 11”. Do you use your 12.9 in split view regularly? I’m worried the 11 is too small to not take and split view
I went with the 12.9 for precisely that use case. And have used it a handful of times in over a year of use… I also don’t use Stage Manager (I test it for a few days after upgrading to a new iPadOS and dislike how it works). I’ve actually got multitasking turned off, since I find Split View useful but detest Slide Over. Can’t separate them, so off it gets turned…

Reactions: Matcha

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Incoming anecdote warning!

See, that landscape camera is an odd one for me. On my 12.9” iPP, it’s a no-brainer. That thing rarely gets handheld in portrait. But with my 11” iPP, it was closer to 50/50. On a mini, it would spend 99%+ of its time handheld, mostly in portrait… and thus a landscape FaceID system would become bothersome…
Solution, two cameras based on orientation. As it’s a Pro - it ”could” be possible.

It won’t happen tho - 2 cameras.

Reactions: MrMacintoshIII

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
Hi All I know this is a personal decision but I have an 11” 2018 iPad Pro WiFi + Cellular. Love the thing thing and it has served me well but the battery life is pretty awful these days (and Apple won’t replace the battery even if I will pay for it since they claim it isn’t under 80%). I’m itching to get a new iPad Pro. I know the new ones are due in a month or two and will have oled screens and not sure what other new features. Also heard they will be quite a bit more expensive. I can get a good deal on a new 1-2TB (meaning more ram as well) 2022 M2 iPad Pro WiFi + Cellular in the $1200-1300 range on eBay. What do people think? Sit and wait and pay a bit more or just go for the older one at a good price. Thanks for the feedback.

1. If your iPads battery health isn't under 80% and you're having battery life issues, something is not right with your setup or iCloud account that may be chewing your battery. Former Apple tech for 5 years here and I never saw an iPad over 80% really give anyone a problem and if it did it was usually due to iOS needing a restore or something in the customers iCloud setup was causing a process to get stuck and chew battery. Apple isn't crazy here but they won't chase the problem for you.

2. I would hold off any purchases given how long it's been since a new iPad was dropped. This way, if new ones are announced and you don't see the benefit of the upgrades/new features then stick to the current models and run out as quickly as possible as soon as the new ones are dropped to snag a deal on clearance/reduced pricing at third party retailers (not Apple).

Reactions: steve217

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
I went with the 12.9 for precisely that use case. And have used it a handful of times in over a year of use… I also don’t use Stage Manager (I test it for a few days after upgrading to a new iPadOS and dislike how it works). I’ve actually got multitasking turned off, since I find Split View useful but detest Slide Over. Can’t separate them, so off it gets turned…
if you'd get an iPad today you would go 12.9 or downsize to the 11 after using the 12.9?

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
if you'd get an iPad today you would go 12.9 or downsize to the 11 after using the 12.9?
I downsized to 11 personally since I realized I never took my iPad out of the home because it was too big and clunky. Even travelling or using on the plane felt awkward. Hence it stayed connected to my Mac as sidecar for 3+ years 😅

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I had a really long and rambling (and likely useless) response all ready to go. But I’ll attempt to distill things semi-usefully.

I am likely to return to the 11” fold. I really appreciate the additional space available to me with the 12.9” screen, however the size is so unwieldy for me that I never use it without a keyboard case. And I really don’t need a second (or even third) computer to fulfill the functions of my desktop units (the MBPro has 99% desktop duty… it will be replaced with a mini or Studio when the time comes).

Reactions: snyp1193

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I downsized to 11 personally since I realized I never took my iPad out of the home because it was too big and clunky. Even travelling or using on the plane felt awkward. Hence it stayed connected to my Mac as sidecar for 3+ years 😅
Sidecar is a role I foresee for my 12.9” iPP. However, I’ve not done it in over a year of ownership, so it will either end up being such as its sole role when I return to the 11” size (I’d actually go for a mini with all the Pro bells n whistles) or it will be sold.

I do really like it for the roles it has assumed but they’re not necessarily the roles I expect it to serve…

Reactions: snyp1193

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There’s a massive 11” vs 13” thread and even after all this time to results are split evenly. But Apple has a generous 14 day return period so you could try both and keep the size you prefer.

Reactions: leifp

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Definitely wait. I also have a 2018 11” ipad pro which i still love & use. Battery is ‘t an issue for me because i always use it at home plugged in. I have an ipad mini 5 that i use when going outside. On that i DEFINITELY notice the battery drain! So I will probably update my ipad mini before my ipad pro. Having said that, I will probably upgrade my 2018 ipad pro to the OLED ipad pro down the road. For you, i would wait until the new ipad pros are announced next month, and then decide. Previous Rumors were saying they’d be $800 more expensive, but MaxTech just confirmed they’ll only be about $150 more expensive for the OLED versions. You can decide next month if you want to spend that for the new OLED ipad pro or buy an M2 ipad Pro(which will only be cheaper once the OLED ipad pros are announced). Win win. So yeah, I’d wait one more month.

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
any indicative date when new ipads will be released in mar? my ipp 2018 screen has yellow tint.
looking to get new ipp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.